2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Still tight and dependable at

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Laredo 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Still tight and dependable at 133,000
By Gregg S. on

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at the end of '04 with 45k mi for 13 G's, It is a loaded 4.0L/2WD Laredo. Front speakers were blown, no problem just fade to back, still sounds great and is still like that today. Had a couple of cooling system problems the first year, but the 1st shop didn't fix it right so it should have only been one...$300. Bad coil pack and heater hoses in year 2...$540. Oil changes, tires and brakes years 3 4 5...all maintenance so it doesn't count. The only other cost is window regulators, which to me is maint. too since I've never had a car where they didn't fail. So $840 in repairs over 5 years...I feel blessed! No rattles, suspension is tight, engine strong, paid off...love it!!!

Favorite Features

It is a comfortable vehicle, the size is a good compromise. It feels stable and is driver friendly. It's little but it's the only car I've had that when you turn the intermittent wipers off it doesn't give you one last wipe, I've never understood why they do that, OFF means OFF!

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise at hwy speeds, but its a jeep. Windows prone to fail, but after paying $340 to fix one, I get regulators online for about $60 and install myself. Takes about an hour, and theres a learning curve on the first one, but worth it. Only MPG makes me consider a change, then I snap out of it.