2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Can Drain Your Wallet
By staatc on 10/13/14 16:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was really excited about owning my first jeep and had great plans for it until the death wobble hit. All my suspension and steering components all wore out at about the same time and I had to put almost $1,000 into it just for parts and did the labor myself. Then as soon as I got it driving good again, the oil pan gasket started leaking. While the engine itself will run forever, be sure to take time to inspect all of the other components and have a mechanic check it over too.

Dependable
By gatorelf on 10/09/14 06:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle in 2004 just off of a lease program with 69,000 miles. I now have 177,000 miles and its running great. The transmission did give out at 148k but thats about normal. I bought it because of the legendary straight six. IMO and my only complaint with the vehicle is there should have been a recall on the window motors. All four window motors have been replaced over the years. All four with the same exact problem, the cable snapped overnight while the window was up. I was told the replacement motors all had a heavier cable. Comfort: about a year ago I thought i was ready for that cool looking Volvo XC90 ! Then I test drove one, couldn't wait to get out of it.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8
By hadallthatri on 05/10/14 06:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This truck will take anything you can throw at it. It has amazing seats and design in my 2001 JGC 60th anniversary. I have used this truck for everything from off-road to sunday drives. I have recently installed halos, a new sound system, LED fog lights, a cold-air intake, and a high-output chip to make this vehicle roar and not once has it not met my standards. People used to tell me "It's a Jeep thing" and I completely get it now. This truck is more than capable off-road and can still dust most trucks on the road.

2001 Black Jeep Cherokee Sport
By 1980islanders on 11/12/13 18:08 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I just installed a skyjacker 3" lift and 265-15" bf. goodrich tires and Mickey Thompson rims. the trucks got 96,431 miles on it. Gas is fantastic. Driving is a pleasure. Interior and exterior are in great condition. Color is Black. The only other change will be the the stereo. If anyone can get this year truck, buy it!

Caddy with 4x4 and a Mind of its Own
By r_berkhei on 02/05/13 04:25 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my JGC 4.7L Limited with 100k miles on it. Fell in love instantaneously with the plush leather seats and all of the luxury amenities. I put 60k miles on it and it nicked and dime'd me the entire time. The car left me stranded numerous times, and had to replace many sensors. I was so broke repairing the essentials, before I knew it the dashboard lights were burned out, the heated seats broke, 2 windows motors went and the climate system was shot. Not to mention the car had a mind of its own, the memory seats would adjust to whatever it wanted, the car alarm would go off constantly, but the final straw was when the catalytic converter code came up. Miss her though.

good car
By sydigital on 11/14/12 07:13 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got mine in '08 with 80k miles. I put another 100k miles on it before it was totaled in a wreck in '12. I loved this car. It was comfy and nice to drive. It had its problems, but that's to be expected with its age. Most of the issues were electrical: window motors going out, tail lights going out and check engine light came on and no one could figure out why. But I loved it and it will be missed.

All the problems you will encounter
By bondsman66 on 09/29/12 17:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Jeeps are Jeeps, they are temperamental, but if you correct the known problems in advance, they will be a faithful friend for life. (see suggested Improvements) Too bad Chrysler, didn't recall the know problems.

Drives Like a Dream
By rameses000 on 09/03/12 22:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this model Jeep since 2005 and have had the usual maintenance problems others have talked about. The rotor trouble is easily fixed by installing a reputable brand brake rotor - not one made by Chrysler. Have the same front rotors for the past 7 years with no problem. Accelerates like a sports car and fuel consump is 18/24. Otherwise usual maintenance only. In 2007 the front end of my Jeep was hit and completely run over by a Semi while it was parked at a store. $3300 in body damage only. Mechanic said nothing to worry about, It's a Jeep. Thing runs like it just drove off the showroom floor. For me, it's a keeper.

Good, not great.
By dulcimerplayer on 08/09/12 09:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2003. I think at the time it had about 40k miles on it. Like many others, we’ve had to have had do to more-than-routine maintenance on the brakes; however, I must be fair and let you know that we drive in the mountains of NC pretty much on a daily basis. We researched the absolute heck out of cars before deciding on the JGC. My wife’s last car was a 1995 Honda Passport which absolutely about did us in in terms of maintenance (our mechanics put 4, I repeat, 4 engines in that car before it was fixed). Anyways, after doing much research, we found that the Jeep in-line 6 has one of the best reputations out there in terms of reliability, so we went wi

2001 Jeep grand cherokee 4.7
By djhjeep on 04/29/12 13:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Iv'e had my jeep from 2005 and got it with 150k on it I now have 256k jeep is still running great but did not get there easily. I had the computer go a couple of years ago and did 'nt know what was wrong until I brought to the dealer and the dealer told me it would be a couple of grand to fix for a new computer eventually I found a shop to put a used one in and the vehicle was fixed. Other than that the engine and tranny is still running strong but I have a small knock and I had another mechanic tell that the head need to be replaced. Simple fix at advance auto $30 bottle to seal that actually worked great. The Jeep is like a tank through bad weather of the NE no stopping it