Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Do. Not. Buy. A. Jeep.
By Anonymous

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee after doing A LOT of research, and the in-line 6 was supposed to be darn-near bulletproof. We had such bad luck with my wife's last car, we researched which SUV to get, and this one came up time and time again. We bought it. Long story short, the reviews were so good on Jeep Grand Cherokees because people were writing reviews on the 1st gen. GC's (the 1992-1999 versions). These were awesome! However, somewhere around 1998 or so, Jeep STOPPED building the motors and production was turned over to Chrysler. We spent about $18k on this SUV, and we ended up putting about $4k - $5k worth of motors in this car. This car buried us in debt because as soon as we paid it off, we needed another motor. We'd have to get a lien against the car to buy a motor. Once that motor was paid off, it would blow again. I was religious about oil changes and maintenance, but it didn't matter. I was so happy to get rid of this car last year for $500. I will NEVER buy a Jeep/Chrysler again, and I advice that you do not either.

Many problems at 122K
By LP

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every week or so, I have another problem with this car. In the past two months alone, my check engine light went on ($400 fix), my control module computer went haywire ($140 to diagnose and reprogram), my alternator died ($160 - the shop did the labor for free). Now my transmission is dying and I'm selling the car at a big loss just to get rid of it. On the rare occasions it does work, it still has the infamous rear-end clunk, is way too top-heavy, and costs a ton of money in gas. If you're looking for a reliable car, look elsewhere.

I'll never buy another Jeep
By DRichards

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car if you enjoy spending a lot of money on repairs and bringing it to the shop over and over again.

Can Drain Your Wallet
By staatc

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was really excited about owning my first jeep and had great plans for it until the death wobble hit. All my suspension and steering components all wore out at about the same time and I had to put almost $1,000 into it just for parts and did the labor myself. Then as soon as I got it driving good again, the oil pan gasket started leaking. While the engine itself will run forever, be sure to take time to inspect all of the other components and have a mechanic check it over too.

Very comfortable to drive.

Dependable
By gatorelf

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle in 2004 just off of a lease program with 69,000 miles. I now have 177,000 miles and its running great. The transmission did give out at 148k but thats about normal. I bought it because of the legendary straight six. IMO and my only complaint with the vehicle is there should have been a recall on the window motors. All four window motors have been replaced over the years. All four with the same exact problem, the cable snapped overnight while the window was up. I was told the replacement motors all had a heavier cable. Comfort: about a year ago I thought i was ready for that cool looking Volvo XC90 ! Then I test drove one, couldn't wait to get out of it.

The Jeep drives/handles excellent ! The sound system is the best I've heard yet factory. I've decided to keep it for many many more years as a second vehicle. Rear wheel drive Visibility Looks Reliability

If you have one of these you know the straight six although extremely reliable its mpg is 18/20. When the time comes to replace the engine I hear the straight six stroker gets 21/24 mpg the Stroker puts out 265 horsepower and 290 lb-ft. of torque. Mopar says it will be able to fit under the hood of any Jeep which previously held the factory 4.0-liter inline-six, including first- and second-generation Grand Cherokees, Cherokees and Wranglers

• SUV