Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

love it
By glbbn

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Jeep I've driven. Own a 1998 also. Seems there is a recurring problem with the rear ends of jeeps. Loud noise or screech when going over bumps or putting car in reverse. Problems with 2001 brakes and with window regulators. Replaced passenger side in July. Now the driver's side is stuck in the up position til I can fix it. The hood and tail gate don't stay up. Sensor 2 light goes off and on. I like the way it handles and goes anywhere in the snow. I feel pretty safe driving it but worry about the brakes and Windows. Have never replaced window regulators ever before and have driven many different makes and models of cars.

looks, handling, feel in snow

brakes windows and doors

Transmission
By Teik

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really loved my Jeep until the transmission went out without warning!! My jeep has less than 73000 miles. I knew that Chrysler was having problems with their jeeps in the mid to late 90's, but I bought my jeep used because I thought they had fixed the problem. I bought it with @42000 and 30000 miles later I am without a vehicle. I did contact Chrysler hoping that since the mileage was so low they would consider fixing it for free. It would have been nice if they would have at least diagnosed the problem, but of course they were completely hands off and of no service. I had just looked at the new Commander. Needless to say I didn't buy. Don't trust this vehicle's drive train!!!

Used for Everything
By donnieb

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Jeep and have used it like a Jeep. I off road, carry friends and dogs, tow my boat, and load it up with cargo for a weekend with the guys up in Vermont. Overall, I love my Grand Cherokee, this is my 2nd one, the 1st being a '97. I just turned 100,000 on it and have had absolutely no drive train problems. It drive to NC frequently and the trip is always comfortable. The ride is great for a solid axle SUV, replace the shocks with Bilstein's for an even better ride.

Smooth engine with nice power, Superb off road and in the snow. Comfortable seats and ergonomics. Great to take on a long trip.

Front brakes! They're terrible! I have been through 4 sets of rotors in the 4 years I owned it. Chrysler should have never produced these vehicles, knowing that front rotors warp after 5,000 miles. I'm surprised they have not killed anyone and got sued. Next vehicle will be an import.

Stay Away from the 2001 Grand Cherokee
By Never, Ever, Again!!

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new. I have replaced almost everything including the transmission at 103,000 miles. Jeep/Chrysler should fall off the face of the earth. I'm waiting for my 3rd window regulator to break. I have a standing appointment every two weeks with the repairman to have my Jeep fixed. I will hold my head up high as I return to buying vehicles from Japan and Korea. Chrysler should give up making automobiles. It is embarrassing to the USA!

Information Command Center

Give up building vehicles!

watch your speed
By MysteryMan

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I started my Jeep affiliation in the Army with the M151a2 (& a3's), talk about go anywhere. I tried other vehicles but finally tired of getting stuck in the snow & unable to truly off road, I purchased a 2000 Cherokee Sport. Loved it! As a District Manager for a local newspaper, that vehicle was just perfect. Bad road conditions & winters in upstate NY had met their match. Then the GC caught my eye & I bought a 2001 in 2006 @ a fair price w/nice options and 83k miles. After replacing the rear stabilizer bearings, the only real problem I have is the blind spot issue.The space between the forward part of the pass/side front window, leading to the windshield is dangerous. look twice before you go.

the hard charging, long lasting, torque providing 4.0l (i6). If you don't pay attention, you will easily be traveling in excess of 90mph causing you to wonder how that Escalade that was ahead of you got into your rear view mirror so fast.

Fix the blind spot.