2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Very enjoyable
By James Nichols on 04/30/05 10:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle used, 1 year old. It now has 65k miles on it and have had 2 problems up to date. I had to replace the driver side window regulator. Plastic piece broke. New piece made with metal. Recirc door for the a/c had to be fixed. New piece supposed to be an upgraded fix. Neither problem overly expensive.

Last Jeep for me
By george on 03/30/05 19:07 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always loved Jeeps. I had five new ones before I purchased a new 2001 fully loaded. I have had four brake jobs, replaced the steering wheel, the drive shafts, the window regulator, the water pump, the speakers, several sensors, major transmission work,the battery, electronic ignition problems. It was bad enough having to do these things to a $32,000 car, but the treatment from Chrysler and the costs have soured me on any more of their products. Since I have always taken excellent care of my autos, this car still looks like it did the day it left the showroom 4 years ago. Brand new condition. It is parked in my garage, and I drive my Infiniti. Too bad because I used to like Jeep.

60th Anniversary Edition
By Burago47 on 02/28/05 14:38 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this vehicle new in 2001 with 6 miles on it. Liked it because it had two tone interior, rather than the one color (dark grey) fits all that most new cars use in the interior. Now has 57K with no major problems, other than brake rotors once at 30K, repaired under warranty, and leak in the sunroof, also repaired under warranty. Still looks as good as the day I got it, inside and out, and it has been left outside in the Northeast. Will be coming off lease in April and I plan to buy it. I don't like the looks of the '05 Grand Cherokee, but it does ride and handle better than the old model. The old Jeep has classic styling that I'm afraid we will not see again.

Need to improve several problems
By dguill on 02/18/05 10:03 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has several issues that they should recall. My particular problem has been with the power windows. First you hear a popping noise, then down your windows go and don't come back up until you get them fixed. I've had to replace two at over $300. I also am having the brakes act up now as mentioned on previous reviews. I like the car in general but improvements need to be made.

Second Jeep... will buy a third!
By Adam on 02/01/05 12:30 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my first Jeep in 1996. I liked it so much that I bought another one. My family liked my cars so much that my brother bought a 2000, and my dad just bought a 2005. I have heard that Jeeps have reliability issues, but at 71K I have only replaced tires, brakes, and a blower motor (within warranty). Jeeps have unparalleled off-road capability and the torque will beat just about any car on the road off the line. The car looks very classy inside and out. Definitely a head turner. I will drive this Jeep till the wheels fall off and then buy another one. I LOVE MY JEEP! p.s. definitely buy v8!

Great Entry SUV w/a few nec. upgrades
By Jason on 01/22/05 10:33 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Laredo w/leather and heated seats, Infinity Gold sound package, selec trac, moon roof, and cd chngr is a great buy and drives nicely. The upgraded 235 65 17 tires are hard to find cheaply. The optional 245's are better on the SUV in Ohio climates. For the money, the Laredo with upgrade options is a great vehicle and you dont need to pay for the "limited" markers unles a V8 is absolutely nec. Laredo does have a V8 option with out the Limited price.

Don't do It!
By Mike M on 01/19/05 10:20 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is by far the worst quality new car I have ever owned. Over a three and one half year ownership, I have had more problems with this car than my 1964 Austin Healy Sprite that I owned in 1966. Most of the problems occurred after the warranty period elapsed. However, there were a host of annoying problems even during the warranty period. With only 47k miles on it, I have replaced a rear window wiper motor (twice), been unable to get my memory seats to work (ever), replace a heating system blower motor, replaced a 'split' power steering line, completely replaced all brake elements, replaced the radiator and associated parts, replaced all four shock absorbers, etc.

the jeep
By drew haught on 01/06/05 12:00 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall the vehicle has been good and reliable. The biggest issues are the shocks and struts went bad at 40000 miles. The ride of the vehicle and cabin are wonderful.

Jeep Grand Cherokee
By John on 12/20/04 13:54 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 5th Jeep and 3rd Grand Cherokee we've owned (1987 thru 2001) and all have been excellent vehicles. Mechcanical reliability (all had the long proven 4.0L engine) has been outstanding. On the 2001 LTD I did have some front brake rotor vibration at about 30,000 mi, but the entire assemblies were replaced under warranty and no problems in the 16,000 mi since. This car is both sharp looking, very comfortable and tough. It;s the best 4wd vehicle I have driven in snow (Maine winters). The 1998 Laredo I gave to my daughter is still going strong at 150,000+ with only brakes, tires and shocks replaced.

best pick
By bryan on 12/11/04 15:04 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

No problems, this is a great vehicle if you like to ride in style and know that you will be able to "get there" no matter what the conditions are.