Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr
By JH

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2001. What a mistake, I should have gone for the 4-Runner. I have had to replaced all rotors, calipers and pads twice within the first 25K mi. Three window regulators so far at a whopping $225 each. The reverse gears went out of the transmission. Had to have it rebuilt at a cost of $1800. Idle control value went bad at 75K. Almost forgot, had the have the leaking plastic radiator replaced also.

It's comfortable to drive, and still stylish.

What's the point. Chrysler has struggled with unreliable vehicles since the inception of the K-car. It will never change as long as the bean counters are at the helm.

Love it! but not perfect!
By Aaron

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had one major problem with my Jeep when I needed a new transmission at about 110,000 miles. Other than that it drives great and is very reliable. Awesome in the snow! It will drive through anything! Comfortable to drive and handles well. The gas mileage can be pretty brutal especially if you try to go above 70.

Off-roading ability, lots of space for moving back and forth to school

The wiring job isn't great. Some of the features (moonroof, trunk 6-CD changer)are very temperamental and will work one day and not the next.

Great comfortable reliable Jeep
By jcool1985

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my jeep used with 60k miles in 2005 and it now has a little over 95k. I love it! It is very comfortable and fun to drive. The limited trim really makes it upscale and the leather seats are like pillows very nice. The exterior and interior are very nice and the build quality is good. Better than the new 05+ grand cherokee's in my opinion. The newer ones just seem cheaper. The 4.7L V8 is a great powerful engine that still gets pretty good gas mileage. The V8 really makes this jeep a fun to drive suv not to mention it tows my boat great. My jeep has only required normal service. No major or expensive repairs. Would recommend this suv and would buy another one.

Interior, Exterior styling, V8, Towing capability, Seats, Size, Comfort, Trip computer. Love the whole jeep

None

Problematic Vehicle
By Laura

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After a year of having my GC, I had one problem after the next. In the last year, the window regulator has had to be replaced on the passenger and driver side. Also, the check engine light has gone on at least 6 times, and all repairs were very costly and usually required new parts. Finally, my transmission randomly gave out after exiting the highway one day. I've had my check engine light go on twice in one week for completely separate problems. This was my first Jeep and will most certainly be my last due to the reliability issues. The good things about this car are overshadowed by all the repairs-at the rate I'm spending money on it I could have bought an 07 instead of going used!

It's fun to drive (when it's working) and the 4 wheel drive works great. I go to school in West Virginia and in that respect it handled the winter fine. The trunk space is also great for when I move to and from college or am going to horse shows.

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability!! Also, the transmission could be a little smoother when it shifts gears.

Loved and hated it
By DSmith386

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Grand Cherokee and it was a perfect fit for me at 6'3. But it had plenty of issues... Poor fuel efficiency became a pain as gas kept rising higher and higher. The belt in 3 of the 4 power windows broke at various times, causing the windows to sink down into the door. Always seemed to happen during the winter when it was freezing. Just last week my engine failed and needed to be replaced. Had about 90,000 miles on my jeep. $6000 for a new engine, $3000 for a rebuilt engine. Decided to get a new car instead. I'm excited to be getting 28 mpg with my new car, but I'll miss the Grand Cherokee.

Comfortable leather seats, good headroom, plenty of power.

Never had any structural problems with it, just maintenance.