2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
My Jeep
By Capt. Bill on 12/22/05 13:32 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Jeep used in Aug '04. It was a leased vehicle. Everything has been working perfectly, and given the 8 cylinder engine I'm impressed with the mileage. The only problem that still exists with this style Jeep is the power window track mechanism. Just like in my old '85 Jeep it broke around 50,000 miles. You think they'd have this problem fixed by now.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited Limited
By boldknight on 11/16/05 17:36 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a tight and reliable vehicle with an excellent drive drain history and highly recommended by auto repair shops for the least problems. Excellent 4X4 characteristics -- I use it in the Colorado Mountains all the time as I live at 9300 feet. The bumps in the road are hardly noticeable and handling is amazing.

Good Choice
By Joe Koski on 11/15/05 13:54 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Jeep used with 18,000 miles. This is the fifth Jeep Cherokee I have owned, the second Grand Cherokee, and is the best. The interior fit and finish is exceptional; the car is very well appointed and rich in its presentation. I have had no repairs to date, with the mileage now at 64,000. It has been an excellent car. It gets approx. 16-18 MPG around the city, and 20-22 MPG on a straight highway trip.

Love That Jeep
By Mike Wells on 10/18/05 11:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just recently bought my Jeep, and I can tell you that it is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. The acceleration is top notch; it will even keep up with some of the best sports cars. I love the interior. The seats are so comfortable. The controls are laid out well, and I love the steering wheel audio controls. The sound system in the vehicle is almost as good as some aftermarket systems. I really like the body style and love the 17" wheels and tires. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a very competent on/off road SUV.

Happy W/Grand Cherokee
By scoad on 08/16/05 22:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have over 75K miles and only thing other than normal maintenance needed was a fuel filter at 51K and radiator hose at 68K. Gets far better mileage than the EPA rating and is roomy and comfortable. Could handle better, but it is an SUV. Have heard others complain, but it gets better fuel economy and has been just as reliable as my previous SUV (Toyota 4Runner). Would buy another one in a second. Maybe people have problems due to way they maintain their vehicles.

Take your chances
By Dan on 07/29/05 11:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

You are really taking your chances by buying a 2001 Grand. The build quality is terrible. Problems I have had: steering pump and steering column needed to be replaced. Window regulator broken. Electronics nightmare! Gas tank leak. Exterior Jeep logos oxidize along with paint. Do yourself a favor and get an extended warranty. I really think I might have been unlucky by buying this particular Jeep. I've owned two in the past and have never had problems.

Jeep Should be embarrassed
By KL Cecil on 07/28/05 23:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sad to say but my Jeep is the worst quality new car I have ever owned. Over a three and one half year of ownership the money just seems to bleed from my bank account. Most of the problems occurred after the warranty period elapsed. However, there were a host of annoying problems even during the warranty period. With only 54k miles on it, I have replaced the blender blower unit, the main electrical unit, A/C cooling problems, and have had 4 sets of brakes. I cannot begin to count the number of times this vehicle has spent time in the shop. Why can't the US make quality cars on par with Asia? Never again will I purchase a Jeep.

Don't bother extending the warranty....
By robert on 07/26/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

As has been the case with past reviews, this vehicle needs brakes once a year. Find a person who knows brakes or you'll have ample opportunity to learn to fix them yourself. Gas mileage is average.

Bad Brakes & Tranny
By JF on 07/20/05 10:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had brakes in for repair several times. Finally had new rotors installed by brake specialist (they claimed Jeep should have had a recall because of original brake quality). Just had the transmission replaced at 89,000 ($3900). Have been driving all my vehicles for last 40 years over 100,000 miles and never had to replace transmission.

Very enjoyable
By James Nichols on 04/30/05 10:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle used, 1 year old. It now has 65k miles on it and have had 2 problems up to date. I had to replace the driver side window regulator. Plastic piece broke. New piece made with metal. Recirc door for the a/c had to be fixed. New piece supposed to be an upgraded fix. Neither problem overly expensive.