Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr
By JH

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2001. What a mistake, I should have gone for the 4-Runner. I have had to replaced all rotors, calipers and pads twice within the first 25K mi. Three window regulators so far at a whopping $225 each. The reverse gears went out of the transmission. Had to have it rebuilt at a cost of $1800. Idle control value went bad at 75K. Almost forgot, had the have the leaking plastic radiator replaced also.

Favorite Features

It's comfortable to drive, and still stylish.

Suggested Improvements

What's the point. Chrysler has struggled with unreliable vehicles since the inception of the K-car. It will never change as long as the bean counters are at the helm.

Impressed!
By Tim

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 01 Limited in 2007, with 100K miles. It looked well taken care of. Now at 140K miles, all I had to replace was a starter, and window motor. It runs like new, nice pick up. Only thing that doesn't work are the heated seats. Cant complain as I only paid $9000 for it. But it drives smooth and I am impressed.

Favorite Features

Power, pretty comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, fautly heated seats,

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8
By hadallthatri

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This truck will take anything you can throw at it. It has amazing seats and design in my 2001 JGC 60th anniversary. I have used this truck for everything from off-road to sunday drives. I have recently installed halos, a new sound system, LED fog lights, a cold-air intake, and a high-output chip to make this vehicle roar and not once has it not met my standards. People used to tell me "It's a Jeep thing" and I completely get it now. This truck is more than capable off-road and can still dust most trucks on the road.

Favorite Features

-4.7L V8 provides a quick pick-up -Best leather seats I've ever sat in -10-CD changer -Heated seats -Two-tone leather looks great -Capability on and off road

Suggested Improvements

My only real suggestions that this vehicle needs is a better connection to seat heaters, a more durable blend door, and better gas milage. Otherwise, no complaints

Jeep Grand Cherokee Lare-dead!
By Andrew183

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only thing comforting to know here is sadly, I'm not the only one with the same problems. Just had the governor sensor and solenoid, and a snap ring replace for $650 at independent mechanic. I have basically had a total rebuild of the engine cooling system, radiator, water pump, radiator, (2) cooling fans. Total rebuild of the brakes twice. Every window regulator has broken, 5 different times on various windows, and am at the point that my passenger rear is going unfixed. Luckily I know how to fix that cause it is a $400. I live beachside and had garage kept the vehicle and it has thoroughly rusted through the roof in a matter of 2 years. Moon roof, gone. Windshield, cracked. Unbelievable!

Favorite Features

A roomy ride for a 5-passenger vehicle. Handles nicely. Has some power with the old 4.0L I6 Motor.

Suggested Improvements

A reliable car would be nice. It is no surprise anymore, that every month I seem to have a $250+ problem, which to me means I need to throw this away and get a new car. Why throw money at a train wreck.

Can Drain Your Wallet
By staatc

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was really excited about owning my first jeep and had great plans for it until the death wobble hit. All my suspension and steering components all wore out at about the same time and I had to put almost $1,000 into it just for parts and did the labor myself. Then as soon as I got it driving good again, the oil pan gasket started leaking. While the engine itself will run forever, be sure to take time to inspect all of the other components and have a mechanic check it over too.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive.