Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

best bday present i ever purchased
By Kristen

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love my Jeep. bought at 125k so most of the kinks were fixed. well kept. i keep reg mait. heated seat dr s doesn't work. all the options paid about 8k i am a jeep buyer for life. mpg kinda stinks but i live on a mtn in pgh. gets me where i need in the winter. infinity gold sound system is awesome.bass hits hard for stock. 10 disc changer! been thro a ton of cars, this one is def a keeper. next suv will def be a jeep!!

sound system, sun roof, power everything, 10disc changer, room, style, extra power outlets, roof rack, auto lights, alert dings and lights

mpg. leather life on seats (came off on drivers side, seat cover fixed) those plastic molding things on the side, making it hard to change the color, head light assembly for changing bulbs and the haze that formed on them

so far ,so good
By shepherds2

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had a few problems, but overall very good luck with this vehicle. 123,000 miles on the car. Break rotors warped and replaced 3 times. Chrysler finally paid for a really good set of slotted rotors (class action suit) and we have had no problems since. A few lights have burned out and a seat heater went out. Overall very pleased with the SUV. Love the smooth,tiny, but powerful V8 engine.

Amazing in deep snow. Pretty difficult to get stuck. One of a very few Truly 4 wheel drive vehicles. Good looks even after 9 years of service. Most people mistake it for a much newer vehicle. Paint and finish held up well. When washed looks brand new. Sound system is awesome for factory eq.

Heater (controls and outlets).Small electrical issues (dash lights, seat heater).

great engineering, terrible execution.
By Abe

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Brought the vehicle new in 2001.has 94,000 miles today almost from day one we've had issues with it, the brakes have been replaced 5 times,had the hood struts,rear window struts,axle seals replaced transmission at 90,000 and replace radiator plus engine fan relay. the vehicle nows has squeaks when going over bumps and idles rough at stop lights. gets 13 MPG in the city and 17 highway{terrible for a 6} will never get another Jeep again.

4.0 I6 Select-Trac 4wd,looks,fun to drive{when working properly} comfy, simple layout, decent base stock audio system

almost everything.

I will never buy a Jeep again!
By BethAV

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2004 and have already had to rebuild the engine (cost me $7500) and fix the heat. The heat was completely out and cost me $1500. Everytime something else goes wrong, it doesn't surprise me, I guess it is to be expected. I have a lot of other problems as well. So, I guess I have a brand new car, it only has about 3000 miles on it and I paid more for the repairs than the car was worth. I will NEVER buy a Jeep or a brand affiliated with Jeep again!!! I was informed by the mechanic that has done all my repairs (he used to work for Jeep) that Jeep Cherokees only have a life expectancy of 125K miles, that's crazy!

Disk changer

Everything...it's a limited piece of junk!

Still tight and dependable at 133,000
By Gregg S.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at the end of '04 with 45k mi for 13 G's, It is a loaded 4.0L/2WD Laredo. Front speakers were blown, no problem just fade to back, still sounds great and is still like that today. Had a couple of cooling system problems the first year, but the 1st shop didn't fix it right so it should have only been one...$300. Bad coil pack and heater hoses in year 2...$540. Oil changes, tires and brakes years 3 4 5...all maintenance so it doesn't count. The only other cost is window regulators, which to me is maint. too since I've never had a car where they didn't fail. So $840 in repairs over 5 years...I feel blessed! No rattles, suspension is tight, engine strong, paid off...love it!!!

It is a comfortable vehicle, the size is a good compromise. It feels stable and is driver friendly. It's little but it's the only car I've had that when you turn the intermittent wipers off it doesn't give you one last wipe, I've never understood why they do that, OFF means OFF!

Wind noise at hwy speeds, but its a jeep. Windows prone to fail, but after paying $340 to fix one, I get regulators online for about $60 and install myself. Takes about an hour, and theres a learning curve on the first one, but worth it. Only MPG makes me consider a change, then I snap out of it.

• SUV