2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Great Car (truck)
By Medrigal 32 on 02/04/07 13:21 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle has 139,000 highway miles and running well. Great car, comfortable on trips, mileage 19 @ 75 mph, 22.5 @ 62 with 4.7 V-8. Engine is bulletproof. Regular service and no repair except for drivers window assemble breaking twice (expensive to repair, and engine computer just recently ($700.00). I just bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee because of my excellent experience with this one.

Junk
By Scott on 01/31/07 15:26 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got one of the bad ones. I bought it new and it's been nothing but problems. Numerous brake issues, driver window motor broke, steering column locked, seat heaters quit working, something is broken inside the dash so heat only comes out of the driver side of the car (cold air out the passenger side), oil pressure gauge malfunctions, check engine light periodically comes on for no reason and I just finished spending $500 for a new heater fan motor, heater module and wiring. On the next breakdown I'm planning on parking it somewhere with the keys in it and the engine running, but I suspect that whoever steals it would bring it back after they realized what a piece of junk they had.

honest assessment
By gadwg on 01/01/07 13:22 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Has been very reliable with 116k on it now and runs like new, but has been well maintained. Like others, have had problems with the brakes, but have replaced only once although the problem was extreme. Get great gas mileage for an suv, averaging 18-20 mpg with 4.0L and 4x4. Very capable off-road. Has been used heavily for towing and other truck responsibilities. Overall, not bad. Certainly better than my other domestic brand experiences.

Never again Chrysler!
By AFDjake on 12/01/06 15:57 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My '01 JGC is my second jeep, I loved it when I bought it. Great looking, awesome 4x4 ability, comfortable. But at 11k miles it all changed. Since then I have had 4 sets of warped rotors, 2 tranny jobs, a coolant leak for 1 year which no one can find, the constant low coolant warning tones and messages for it, and new gas shocks that couldn't improve the ride. Congrats Chrysler this is the last of your cars I will ever buy! Poor MPG as well

A $35K piece of junk
By Rick vW on 09/03/06 08:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but electrical problems with Jeeps (I owned 3 and each time I was convinced by the dealer I had an anomalous car). Year 2: driver seat electric stops working. Year 2: door panel comes loose and cannot be attached. Year 3: many tranny problems, leakages, starting problems. $6000 in total cost. Year 4: extreme cracking of seat leather (LOWEST GRADE!), leakage of tranny fluids, loud airplane noise from tranny. Year 5: real electrical problems start: lights won't go out. 3 batteries dead, electric windows will not go up. I get about 170 miles out of 20 gallons, the car drives like a tank and with all the problems it is just garage parked at this point. ASK YOURSELF: $35k for this?

Can you say bigger rotors?
By rjzeller on 09/01/06 15:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got this car new in 2001, and it is by far the most fun car to drive I've ever had. I love it. Too bad, however, there are so many repairs required. I have had to turn or replace rotors three times now, and this seems to be common among Jeep owners. But there have been other strange problems: Bad lock motor in the hatch, seized lock cylinder in the ignition, bad thermostat, replaced radio, and I just had to replace the driver's seat frame ($400) as it broke free of the mounting riser. I have NEVER had to fix a driver's seat before. This could have been a perfect car, but with horrible mileage (13 mpg city) and chronic bad brakes, it's hard to look past all the other problems.

nice ride
By slupoman on 07/01/06 06:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased this suv it was top-of-the line, nice. Can’t find leather interior like this anymore, impressive! Handles real nice towing our 20' pontoon fishing boat. Overall love this ride...but nowadays you have to think about gas. Getting 16 mpg. Would like to get better mileage.

Oil Pressure Beware
By DCFS on 05/21/06 17:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo in May of 2001. About one year ago my oil pressure began to drop to the point the check engine light came on. I was told by the dealership the oil pressure gauge stopped working. I replaced the gauge and the issue continued, this time they told me the oil pump needed to be replaced. Replaced oil pump and issue continued again. The Jeep dealership after the third time in is now telling me this is a internal engine issue and replacement of the engine or total rebuilding of the engine are my options. 76,000 miles and my engine has a death sentence. If you have oil pressure issues with your Jeep start looking for another vehicle now. Avoid Jeeps!

Engine shot?
By Anti freeze guy on 03/24/06 12:19 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

As one of the few I can say that brakes have not been my major complaint. Up until a few months ago I had no complaints at all. Sadly it now appears that at 47K I need a major engine overhaul. The coolant level warning light comes on once a month. Entire system has been inspected by dealer and no external leaks have been found. Leaving one possibility.

Great Jeep
By Kizzi on 03/21/06 06:46 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed every moment of this vehicle! I like speed, sleek, and comfort. I got all of the above.