Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

glad its a lease
By 01jeep

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

this car has 41000 miles an the brakes have been rebuilt 5 times it is on average every 7000 miles it eats the rotors up you get pulsating in brake pedal first then the steering wheel vibrates real bad,everyone i talk to has the same problem, my 94 had 93000 miles an one brake job

love the design an room inside

do something about the brake system, it is the worst ever..5 complete brake jobs in 41.000 miles is nuts an im not alone in this problem....

Could be better
By sunnyd

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Continual a/c problems. Vehicle lurches at stops. Problem when purchased. Repaired but doing it again. Clunking when coming to a stop. Would not purchase another one.

I have leather and the comfort is great.

Dual heating and a/c would be great. Should have separate heating and a/c for back passengers.

Save your rebate to pay your repair bill
By zman2

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am currently trying to figure out how to get rid of this vehicle. I have alot of time to do this since it is in the shop with transmission problems again. I have had the brakes redone 4 times in 53k miles, the transmission is currently out, and we have had various electrical problems along the way. It has been 8 times that I can think of in 53 k miles. I had a Honda and a Toyota before this with no problems. I will never buy a Chrysler product again. If you buy this vehicle, buy a good extended warranty (0 deductible), because even $100 deductible adds up. And save your rebates and incentives. You'll need them.

The radio. That is the only thing that works reliably. The roof rack is pretty nice. I can get two kayaks on with no problem. The extended warranty is pretty good too. Get the $0 deductible one, though.

Start over. It is not worth trying to fix. I will never buy another chrysler product and will tell everyone I know about how bad this experience was. Dealer support is poor, and chrysler corporate is even worse. I should have spent the money and bought a 4runner.

Reliable 4WD Un Reliable Brakes
By BeachJeep

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great 4WD ability in the snow/ice and when I surf fish the beaches of North Carolina.I have helped several of the "so called SUV's" get un stuck. Most of the small street SUV's just cant handle the harsher off road conditions. The main flaw of the vehicle is its brakes. I had to turn or replace the front rotors 4 times in 40,000 miles only onced covered under warranty at the 11,000 mile mark.I suggest this vehicle for any one that needs a good 4 wheel drive.I would rate my vehicle as dependable. Only one mechanical failure beside the common brake problem which was quickly taken care of under warranty. (Trans sensor)

Four wheel drive handling and control.

Better front brakes & better warranty coverage of them. With so many brake complaints for the same problem you would think a major auto manufacturer would design a fix and recall affected vehicles.

Grand Cherokee!!!!
By JNJ

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 01 Grand Cherokee limited 4wd V8 from Dedham Auto Mall in Dedham, MA and I couldn't be happier. The dealership was great and so isnt the car. I use this car for both on-road everyday driving and occasionally off- road when I get a chance. It's the best. I havent had a single problem with this car and it is the second new body style grand cherokee I have owned. I love it, and I will keep it as long as I can until I want a new Jeep.

The V8 is the way to go. Powerful, responsive, and quick. Its so comforatable inside and is sharp looking on the outside. The Infinity sound is great and the Quadra-Drive system is unbeleivable. Great off-road abbility and as good as any Japanese suv on the road. Just an awsome vehicle.

The only suggested improvement is that the gas mileage isnt great... not bad for an SUV though.

• SUV