Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great comfortable reliable Jeep
By jcool1985

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my jeep used with 60k miles in 2005 and it now has a little over 95k. I love it! It is very comfortable and fun to drive. The limited trim really makes it upscale and the leather seats are like pillows very nice. The exterior and interior are very nice and the build quality is good. Better than the new 05+ grand cherokee's in my opinion. The newer ones just seem cheaper. The 4.7L V8 is a great powerful engine that still gets pretty good gas mileage. The V8 really makes this jeep a fun to drive suv not to mention it tows my boat great. My jeep has only required normal service. No major or expensive repairs. Would recommend this suv and would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Interior, Exterior styling, V8, Towing capability, Seats, Size, Comfort, Trip computer. Love the whole jeep

Suggested Improvements

None

2001 Bought new. Good luck so far.
By shepherds2

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our second Jeep. This limited v8 model is a keeper even though there have been the usual Jeep failings 1) brake calipers (which after the third time Jeep replaced on a recall with some super slotted disks for free. No problems since then). 2) hood struts ($300 to replace so still broken. We never have occasion to go under the hood anyway). 3) seat heater. 4) heater box mechanism. All in all very few repairs for 147,000 and nine years use. We are very pleased with this vehicle

Favorite Features

Exterior fit and finish quality is very high. This jeep looks like it Just came off the showroom floor. People swear this jeep is years newer than it actually is. Radio/ sound system is excellent. Very difficult to get stuck in Foot and a half snow drifts. Quad trac system is awesome. V8 powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Leather seats uncomfortable on long trips. Why they can't make a hood strut last longer than 3 years is beyond me. Wouldn't replace on warranty either. Very few minor complaints about this vehicle and we would by another Jeep if Chrysler would guaranty it to run as good as this one.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited Limited
By boldknight

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a tight and reliable vehicle with an excellent drive drain history and highly recommended by auto repair shops for the least problems. Excellent 4X4 characteristics -- I use it in the Colorado Mountains all the time as I live at 9300 feet. The bumps in the road are hardly noticeable and handling is amazing.

Favorite Features

Driveability, reliability and 4X4 performance.

Good, not great.
By dulcimerplayer

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2003. I think at the time it had about 40k miles on it. Like many others, we’ve had to have had do to more-than-routine maintenance on the brakes; however, I must be fair and let you know that we drive in the mountains of NC pretty much on a daily basis. We researched the absolute heck out of cars before deciding on the JGC. My wife’s last car was a 1995 Honda Passport which absolutely about did us in in terms of maintenance (our mechanics put 4, I repeat, 4 engines in that car before it was fixed). Anyways, after doing much research, we found that the Jeep in-line 6 has one of the best reputations out there in terms of reliability, so we went wi

Favorite Features

Comfortable Great in the snow More than enough power Love standard options

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage isn't exactly fantastic Can't believe I had to replace the engine at 100k miles. That's terrible on a car that cost as much as it did new.

Caddy with 4x4 and a Mind of its Own
By r_berkhei

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my JGC 4.7L Limited with 100k miles on it. Fell in love instantaneously with the plush leather seats and all of the luxury amenities. I put 60k miles on it and it nicked and dime'd me the entire time. The car left me stranded numerous times, and had to replace many sensors. I was so broke repairing the essentials, before I knew it the dashboard lights were burned out, the heated seats broke, 2 windows motors went and the climate system was shot. Not to mention the car had a mind of its own, the memory seats would adjust to whatever it wanted, the car alarm would go off constantly, but the final straw was when the catalytic converter code came up. Miss her though.

Favorite Features

The leather seats were high quality, sound system was great, but many of the other "luxury options" were faulty.