2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Never a Jeep again
By xrt on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is my first time( and for sure my last) to buy a Chrysler product. I bought the car in june, 2001 new. I had lots of problems with it: serpentine belt was replaced,tenssioner was replaced,steering column was replaced, brakes roaters were replaced two times, bad paint spot on the door, molding around the wind sheeld needed to be re-glued, the oil pupm was replaced, a valve in the transmission body was replaced, side mirros were replaced. The most annoying thing is these issues were never resolved by the first or the second or even the third visit. It is a nightmare dealing with the dealership I deeply regret my experinece. BUYERS BE AWARE

Class Act
By Owwlala on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had a few problems like other new cars. Rotars replaced twice, steering wheel leather slip and was replaced, sluggish start which was electronically adjusted, grinding noise when turning in reverse, part replaced, heated driver seat not heating so it was replaced. The dealership was very accomodating and made it all OK. I love my Jeep, feel safe and haven't minded my trips to the shop. I am more than likely going to keep it since it is a lease and up in October. But Might get a 2004!

Love my Jeep
By Johnny V on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great Vehicle! This has been a family vehicle for years. This is my second Jeep and Jeeps have been in my family for years.

great jeep
By gies on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

28000 miles and only one problem. The heated seat on the driver side doesn't work and I have yet to take it to the dealer for repairs under the warranty. I have the selectmatic transmission that I have not seen on any other Jeep Grand Cherokees, but I am glad I do. It gives me the option of 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. It appears others have had trouble with the Quadramatic Trans.

Limited Options and Performance
By mtnmeister on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Jeep as other SUVs became too car-like. We knew what we were getting, had modest expectations, and they have not been exceeded. Not very high praise for a $40K vehicle! Jeep didn't offer a 5 manual transmission option, and the automatic transmission simply sucks - I will not by another Jeep for this reason alone. Once we got past some intital quality problems (loose cables, etc), the vehicle has ptherwise performed well (except for the poor gas mileage).

Dont buy one
By Eric Adcock on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

On the first drive it over heated 2000 miles it needed new rotors. 5000 miles did not idle good, reprogramed computer did not fix it. 8000 miles power steering noise, did a recall to it. 9000 miles more power steering noise, replaced belt plus tensioner. 18000 miles steering was binding could not fix it with another recall but now it only happens when very hot outside. Still didnt idle right they replaced a sensor ( did not fix it ) 21000 miles mecanic found bad computer that controls idle but chrysler wont replace it yet because they dont know how to program the new one,that was around March 2002, in now Dec 2002 they still cant fix my Jeep.

2nd Grand Cherokee
By jim09901 on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Grand Cherokee with my first being a 1996. I am extremely happy with the purchase I made. I like the new styling of the later models (WJ's) and I find the Quadra- Trac II system to be very effective. The interior is very comfortable (I'm 6'4") and I find even the standard options to be very good.

In need of lemon-aid
By dbassqueen on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

As a former Jeep Wrangler owner, I had high expectations when I purchased my used 2001 Laredo with 29K miles on it. After 10.5 months of ownership I've spent the majority of my time at the dealership for repairs....random engine surging (!!) [it only took 3 visits for them to address], electrical, transmission, warranty recall items, rotors... Now, after transmission slippage due to a bad solenoid, (out of warranty by 2.5K miles of course...)there are newly presented oil seepage and pressure issues...caveat emptor! BUYER BEWARE!

Don't buy a grand Cherokee
By sabriew on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 brand new and I've had so many problems ranging from my moon roof not working to my transmission being replaced to replacing my heated leather seats. I don't recommend this product to anyone!!

Great SUV
By Woody626 on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Grande Cherokee after my '96, which I put 110,000 miles on. This is the most comfortable, driver friendly, quiet and still performs. I have had zero problems with it, except it seems to attract a lot of attention when spotted. It is black with the Chrome 17 inch rims and is truly gorgeous.