Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Need to improve several problems
By dguill

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has several issues that they should recall. My particular problem has been with the power windows. First you hear a popping noise, then down your windows go and don't come back up until you get them fixed. I've had to replace two at over $300. I also am having the brakes act up now as mentioned on previous reviews. I like the car in general but improvements need to be made.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, leather seats, CD player.

Second Jeep... will buy a third!
By Adam

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my first Jeep in 1996. I liked it so much that I bought another one. My family liked my cars so much that my brother bought a 2000, and my dad just bought a 2005. I have heard that Jeeps have reliability issues, but at 71K I have only replaced tires, brakes, and a blower motor (within warranty). Jeeps have unparalleled off-road capability and the torque will beat just about any car on the road off the line. The car looks very classy inside and out. Definitely a head turner. I will drive this Jeep till the wheels fall off and then buy another one. I LOVE MY JEEP! p.s. definitely buy v8!

Favorite Features

Interior design is very classy, extremely quick acceleration, unbelievable 4-wheel drive and off-road capability. Nice cargo capacity, and great towing ability. 10 disc changer and in dash single disc is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for back seat would be nice, but this is improved upon in the 2005 model. Gas mileage is also improved in the new models by switching to a 2 wheel drive while cruising.

Great Entry SUV w/a few nec. upgrades
By Jason

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Laredo w/leather and heated seats, Infinity Gold sound package, selec trac, moon roof, and cd chngr is a great buy and drives nicely. The upgraded 235 65 17 tires are hard to find cheaply. The optional 245's are better on the SUV in Ohio climates. For the money, the Laredo with upgrade options is a great vehicle and you dont need to pay for the "limited" markers unles a V8 is absolutely nec. Laredo does have a V8 option with out the Limited price.

Favorite Features

The interior design and truck like ride. The Infinity Gold stereo is awesome for the price.

Suggested Improvements

A lot of space on the radio and climate control portion of the dash is lost to two under powered vents, They take up the perfect space for an in dash DVD player.

Don't do It!
By Mike M

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is by far the worst quality new car I have ever owned. Over a three and one half year ownership, I have had more problems with this car than my 1964 Austin Healy Sprite that I owned in 1966. Most of the problems occurred after the warranty period elapsed. However, there were a host of annoying problems even during the warranty period. With only 47k miles on it, I have replaced a rear window wiper motor (twice), been unable to get my memory seats to work (ever), replace a heating system blower motor, replaced a 'split' power steering line, completely replaced all brake elements, replaced the radiator and associated parts, replaced all four shock absorbers, etc.

Favorite Features

It looks good and it is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Do something to build in some quality.

the jeep
By drew haught

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall the vehicle has been good and reliable. The biggest issues are the shocks and struts went bad at 40000 miles. The ride of the vehicle and cabin are wonderful.

Favorite Features

Power windows and seats. The tonneau in the back. The spacious room in the vehicle and reliability of 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Heated mirrors on driver and passenger side. Seat settings for driver one and two. Better shocks and struts.