Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Don't bother extending the warranty....
By robert

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

As has been the case with past reviews, this vehicle needs brakes once a year. Find a person who knows brakes or you'll have ample opportunity to learn to fix them yourself. Gas mileage is average.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, transmission, fuel injection.

Bad Brakes & Tranny
By JF

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had brakes in for repair several times. Finally had new rotors installed by brake specialist (they claimed Jeep should have had a recall because of original brake quality). Just had the transmission replaced at 89,000 ($3900). Have been driving all my vehicles for last 40 years over 100,000 miles and never had to replace transmission.

Favorite Features

Looks, sound system, engine performance.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats uncomfortable on long trips, brakes, transmission (original one was always clunky).

Very enjoyable
By James Nichols

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle used, 1 year old. It now has 65k miles on it and have had 2 problems up to date. I had to replace the driver side window regulator. Plastic piece broke. New piece made with metal. Recirc door for the a/c had to be fixed. New piece supposed to be an upgraded fix. Neither problem overly expensive.

Favorite Features

Love the power -- hate the gas when using it. Love the visibility, ride, functionality, turning radius, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Problems should not have been at low mileage. Why the need to upgrade to better parts after the cheap ones break? Should have been placed originally.

Last Jeep for me
By george

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always loved Jeeps. I had five new ones before I purchased a new 2001 fully loaded. I have had four brake jobs, replaced the steering wheel, the drive shafts, the window regulator, the water pump, the speakers, several sensors, major transmission work,the battery, electronic ignition problems. It was bad enough having to do these things to a $32,000 car, but the treatment from Chrysler and the costs have soured me on any more of their products. Since I have always taken excellent care of my autos, this car still looks like it did the day it left the showroom 4 years ago. Brand new condition. It is parked in my garage, and I drive my Infiniti. Too bad because I used to like Jeep.

Favorite Features

Great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Better engineered products and over haul customer service. I am now a import buyer and hate that idea.

60th Anniversary Edition
By Burago47

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this vehicle new in 2001 with 6 miles on it. Liked it because it had two tone interior, rather than the one color (dark grey) fits all that most new cars use in the interior. Now has 57K with no major problems, other than brake rotors once at 30K, repaired under warranty, and leak in the sunroof, also repaired under warranty. Still looks as good as the day I got it, inside and out, and it has been left outside in the Northeast. Will be coming off lease in April and I plan to buy it. I don't like the looks of the '05 Grand Cherokee, but it does ride and handle better than the old model. The old Jeep has classic styling that I'm afraid we will not see again.

Favorite Features

Styling - still the best looking vehicle on the road. Go anywhere drivetrain. Powerful and fast V8, runs on 87 octane. Auto dimming rear view mirror and steering wheel radio controls. Not bad highway mileage for a big V8 car - around 20 mpg. Will keep until the wheels fall off.

Suggested Improvements

Memory mirrors do not reset properly. Repaired and then replaced, still didn't solve the problem. Inner rims on the chrome wheels discolored and deteriorated on the surface. Leather on steering wheel worn prematurely, never saw that happen on any car before.