2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
good car
By sydigital on 11/14/12 07:13 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got mine in '08 with 80k miles. I put another 100k miles on it before it was totaled in a wreck in '12. I loved this car. It was comfy and nice to drive. It had its problems, but that's to be expected with its age. Most of the issues were electrical: window motors going out, tail lights going out and check engine light came on and no one could figure out why. But I loved it and it will be missed.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Lare-dead!
By Andrew183 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only thing comforting to know here is sadly, I'm not the only one with the same problems. Just had the governor sensor and solenoid, and a snap ring replace for $650 at independent mechanic. I have basically had a total rebuild of the engine cooling system, radiator, water pump, radiator, (2) cooling fans. Total rebuild of the brakes twice. Every window regulator has broken, 5 different times on various windows, and am at the point that my passenger rear is going unfixed. Luckily I know how to fix that cause it is a $400. I live beachside and had garage kept the vehicle and it has thoroughly rusted through the roof in a matter of 2 years. Moon roof, gone. Windshield, cracked. Unbelievable!

Still tight and dependable at 133,000
By Gregg S. on 10/12/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at the end of '04 with 45k mi for 13 G's, It is a loaded 4.0L/2WD Laredo. Front speakers were blown, no problem just fade to back, still sounds great and is still like that today. Had a couple of cooling system problems the first year, but the 1st shop didn't fix it right so it should have only been one...$300. Bad coil pack and heater hoses in year 2...$540. Oil changes, tires and brakes years 3 4 5...all maintenance so it doesn't count. The only other cost is window regulators, which to me is maint. too since I've never had a car where they didn't fail. So $840 in repairs over 5 years...I feel blessed! No rattles, suspension is tight, engine strong, paid off...love it!!!

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr
By JH on 07/20/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2001. What a mistake, I should have gone for the 4-Runner. I have had to replaced all rotors, calipers and pads twice within the first 25K mi. Three window regulators so far at a whopping $225 each. The reverse gears went out of the transmission. Had to have it rebuilt at a cost of $1800. Idle control value went bad at 75K. Almost forgot, had the have the leaking plastic radiator replaced also.

Loved and hated it
By DSmith386 on 03/10/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Grand Cherokee and it was a perfect fit for me at 6'3. But it had plenty of issues... Poor fuel efficiency became a pain as gas kept rising higher and higher. The belt in 3 of the 4 power windows broke at various times, causing the windows to sink down into the door. Always seemed to happen during the winter when it was freezing. Just last week my engine failed and needed to be replaced. Had about 90,000 miles on my jeep. $6000 for a new engine, $3000 for a rebuilt engine. Decided to get a new car instead. I'm excited to be getting 28 mpg with my new car, but I'll miss the Grand Cherokee.

Transmission
By Teik on 11/12/08 11:59 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really loved my Jeep until the transmission went out without warning!! My jeep has less than 73000 miles. I knew that Chrysler was having problems with their jeeps in the mid to late 90's, but I bought my jeep used because I thought they had fixed the problem. I bought it with @42000 and 30000 miles later I am without a vehicle. I did contact Chrysler hoping that since the mileage was so low they would consider fixing it for free. It would have been nice if they would have at least diagnosed the problem, but of course they were completely hands off and of no service. I had just looked at the new Commander. Needless to say I didn't buy. Don't trust this vehicle's drive train!!!

Stay Away from the 2001 Grand Cherokee
By Never, Ever, Again!! on 09/08/08 18:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new. I have replaced almost everything including the transmission at 103,000 miles. Jeep/Chrysler should fall off the face of the earth. I'm waiting for my 3rd window regulator to break. I have a standing appointment every two weeks with the repairman to have my Jeep fixed. I will hold my head up high as I return to buying vehicles from Japan and Korea. Chrysler should give up making automobiles. It is embarrassing to the USA!

Great Experience
By david on 01/05/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I looked to Consumer Reports for a report on this "new" style Jeep. At first their reports were very good. Later, they rated this vehicle as "stay away from car!" How absolutely wrong Consumer Reports are about this car. My Jeep has been the very best car I have ever owned. I love driving it to this day. We have had the following problems: driver's side front window motor. That's it. Car has 105,000 miles on it. I've never had a car with that many miles on it. In a word - Great Car!

My Jeep
By Capt. Bill on 12/22/05 13:32 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Jeep used in Aug '04. It was a leased vehicle. Everything has been working perfectly, and given the 8 cylinder engine I'm impressed with the mileage. The only problem that still exists with this style Jeep is the power window track mechanism. Just like in my old '85 Jeep it broke around 50,000 miles. You think they'd have this problem fixed by now.

Happy W/Grand Cherokee
By scoad on 08/16/05 22:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have over 75K miles and only thing other than normal maintenance needed was a fuel filter at 51K and radiator hose at 68K. Gets far better mileage than the EPA rating and is roomy and comfortable. Could handle better, but it is an SUV. Have heard others complain, but it gets better fuel economy and has been just as reliable as my previous SUV (Toyota 4Runner). Would buy another one in a second. Maybe people have problems due to way they maintain their vehicles.