Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Excellent winter car.
By Richard stout

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall very good automobile. Some noise and vibration especially underneath. Specifically drive train vibration (rear end, drive shafts.) V8 engine very responsive. Quadratrac II 4 wheel drive is second to none. Poor fuel mileage. A/C not up to par. Drivers position is ergonomically satisfying. Dealer support, mediocre at best.
Quality of materials is satisfactory.

Great first car!
By MacLean Blackwell

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first car and I am loving it. It handles great gets around well.

Do. Not. Buy. A. Jeep.
By Anonymous

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee after doing A LOT of research, and the in-line 6 was supposed to be darn-near bulletproof. We had such bad luck with my wife's last car, we researched which SUV to get, and this one came up time and time again. We bought it. Long story short, the reviews were so good on Jeep Grand Cherokees because people were writing reviews on the 1st gen. GC's (the 1992-1999 versions). These were awesome! However, somewhere around 1998 or so, Jeep STOPPED building the motors and production was turned over to Chrysler. We spent about $18k on this SUV, and we ended up putting about $4k - $5k worth of motors in this car. This car buried us in debt because as soon as we paid it off, we needed another motor. We'd have to get a lien against the car to buy a motor. Once that motor was paid off, it would blow again. I was religious about oil changes and maintenance, but it didn't matter. I was so happy to get rid of this car last year for $500. I will NEVER buy a Jeep/Chrysler again, and I advice that you do not either.

Many problems at 122K
By LP

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every week or so, I have another problem with this car. In the past two months alone, my check engine light went on ($400 fix), my control module computer went haywire ($140 to diagnose and reprogram), my alternator died ($160 - the shop did the labor for free). Now my transmission is dying and I'm selling the car at a big loss just to get rid of it. On the rare occasions it does work, it still has the infamous rear-end clunk, is way too top-heavy, and costs a ton of money in gas.

If you're looking for a reliable car, look elsewhere.

I'll never buy another Jeep
By DRichards

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car if you enjoy spending a lot of money on repairs and bringing it to the shop over and over again.