Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Dependable
By gatorelf

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle in 2004 just off of a lease program with 69,000 miles. I now have 177,000 miles and its running great. The transmission did give out at 148k but thats about normal. I bought it because of the legendary straight six. IMO and my only complaint with the vehicle is there should have been a recall on the window motors. All four window motors have been replaced over the years. All four with the same exact problem, the cable snapped overnight while the window was up. I was told the replacement motors all had a heavier cable. Comfort: about a year ago I thought i was ready for that cool looking Volvo XC90 ! Then I test drove one, couldn't wait to get out of it.

The Jeep drives/handles excellent ! The sound system is the best I've heard yet factory. I've decided to keep it for many many more years as a second vehicle. Rear wheel drive Visibility Looks Reliability

If you have one of these you know the straight six although extremely reliable its mpg is 18/20. When the time comes to replace the engine I hear the straight six stroker gets 21/24 mpg the Stroker puts out 265 horsepower and 290 lb-ft. of torque. Mopar says it will be able to fit under the hood of any Jeep which previously held the factory 4.0-liter inline-six, including first- and second-generation Grand Cherokees, Cherokees and Wranglers

good car
By sydigital

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got mine in '08 with 80k miles. I put another 100k miles on it before it was totaled in a wreck in '12. I loved this car. It was comfy and nice to drive. It had its problems, but that's to be expected with its age. Most of the issues were electrical: window motors going out, tail lights going out and check engine light came on and no one could figure out why. But I loved it and it will be missed.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Lare-dead!
By Andrew183

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only thing comforting to know here is sadly, I'm not the only one with the same problems. Just had the governor sensor and solenoid, and a snap ring replace for $650 at independent mechanic. I have basically had a total rebuild of the engine cooling system, radiator, water pump, radiator, (2) cooling fans. Total rebuild of the brakes twice. Every window regulator has broken, 5 different times on various windows, and am at the point that my passenger rear is going unfixed. Luckily I know how to fix that cause it is a $400. I live beachside and had garage kept the vehicle and it has thoroughly rusted through the roof in a matter of 2 years. Moon roof, gone. Windshield, cracked. Unbelievable!

A roomy ride for a 5-passenger vehicle. Handles nicely. Has some power with the old 4.0L I6 Motor.

A reliable car would be nice. It is no surprise anymore, that every month I seem to have a $250+ problem, which to me means I need to throw this away and get a new car. Why throw money at a train wreck.

Still tight and dependable at 133,000
By Gregg S.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at the end of '04 with 45k mi for 13 G's, It is a loaded 4.0L/2WD Laredo. Front speakers were blown, no problem just fade to back, still sounds great and is still like that today. Had a couple of cooling system problems the first year, but the 1st shop didn't fix it right so it should have only been one...$300. Bad coil pack and heater hoses in year 2...$540. Oil changes, tires and brakes years 3 4 5...all maintenance so it doesn't count. The only other cost is window regulators, which to me is maint. too since I've never had a car where they didn't fail. So $840 in repairs over 5 years...I feel blessed! No rattles, suspension is tight, engine strong, paid off...love it!!!

It is a comfortable vehicle, the size is a good compromise. It feels stable and is driver friendly. It's little but it's the only car I've had that when you turn the intermittent wipers off it doesn't give you one last wipe, I've never understood why they do that, OFF means OFF!

Wind noise at hwy speeds, but its a jeep. Windows prone to fail, but after paying $340 to fix one, I get regulators online for about $60 and install myself. Takes about an hour, and theres a learning curve on the first one, but worth it. Only MPG makes me consider a change, then I snap out of it.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr
By JH

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2001. What a mistake, I should have gone for the 4-Runner. I have had to replaced all rotors, calipers and pads twice within the first 25K mi. Three window regulators so far at a whopping $225 each. The reverse gears went out of the transmission. Had to have it rebuilt at a cost of $1800. Idle control value went bad at 75K. Almost forgot, had the have the leaking plastic radiator replaced also.

It's comfortable to drive, and still stylish.

What's the point. Chrysler has struggled with unreliable vehicles since the inception of the K-car. It will never change as long as the bean counters are at the helm.