2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Can Drain Your Wallet
By staatc

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was really excited about owning my first jeep and had great plans for it until the death wobble hit. All my suspension and steering components all wore out at about the same time and I had to put almost $1,000 into it just for parts and did the labor myself. Then as soon as I got it driving good again, the oil pan gasket started leaking. While the engine itself will run forever, be sure to take time to inspect all of the other components and have a mechanic check it over too.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive.

Dependable
By gatorelf

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle in 2004 just off of a lease program with 69,000 miles. I now have 177,000 miles and its running great. The transmission did give out at 148k but thats about normal. I bought it because of the legendary straight six. IMO and my only complaint with the vehicle is there should have been a recall on the window motors. All four window motors have been replaced over the years. All four with the same exact problem, the cable snapped overnight while the window was up. I was told the replacement motors all had a heavier cable. Comfort: about a year ago I thought i was ready for that cool looking Volvo XC90 ! Then I test drove one, couldn't wait to get out of it.

Favorite Features

The Jeep drives/handles excellent ! The sound system is the best I've heard yet factory. I've decided to keep it for many many more years as a second vehicle. Rear wheel drive Visibility Looks Reliability

Suggested Improvements

If you have one of these you know the straight six although extremely reliable its mpg is 18/20. When the time comes to replace the engine I hear the straight six stroker gets 21/24 mpg the Stroker puts out 265 horsepower and 290 lb-ft. of torque. Mopar says it will be able to fit under the hood of any Jeep which previously held the factory 4.0-liter inline-six, including first- and second-generation Grand Cherokees, Cherokees and Wranglers

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8
By hadallthatri

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This truck will take anything you can throw at it. It has amazing seats and design in my 2001 JGC 60th anniversary. I have used this truck for everything from off-road to sunday drives. I have recently installed halos, a new sound system, LED fog lights, a cold-air intake, and a high-output chip to make this vehicle roar and not once has it not met my standards. People used to tell me "It's a Jeep thing" and I completely get it now. This truck is more than capable off-road and can still dust most trucks on the road.

Favorite Features

-4.7L V8 provides a quick pick-up -Best leather seats I've ever sat in -10-CD changer -Heated seats -Two-tone leather looks great -Capability on and off road

Suggested Improvements

My only real suggestions that this vehicle needs is a better connection to seat heaters, a more durable blend door, and better gas milage. Otherwise, no complaints

2001 Black Jeep Cherokee Sport
By 1980islanders

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I just installed a skyjacker 3" lift and 265-15" bf. goodrich tires and Mickey Thompson rims. the trucks got 96,431 miles on it. Gas is fantastic. Driving is a pleasure. Interior and exterior are in great condition. Color is Black. The only other change will be the the stereo. If anyone can get this year truck, buy it!

Favorite Features

Drive of the truck and lift kit and big tires and rims!

Suggested Improvements

brand new stereo.

Caddy with 4x4 and a Mind of its Own
By r_berkhei

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my JGC 4.7L Limited with 100k miles on it. Fell in love instantaneously with the plush leather seats and all of the luxury amenities. I put 60k miles on it and it nicked and dime'd me the entire time. The car left me stranded numerous times, and had to replace many sensors. I was so broke repairing the essentials, before I knew it the dashboard lights were burned out, the heated seats broke, 2 windows motors went and the climate system was shot. Not to mention the car had a mind of its own, the memory seats would adjust to whatever it wanted, the car alarm would go off constantly, but the final straw was when the catalytic converter code came up. Miss her though.

Favorite Features

The leather seats were high quality, sound system was great, but many of the other "luxury options" were faulty.

good car
By sydigital

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got mine in '08 with 80k miles. I put another 100k miles on it before it was totaled in a wreck in '12. I loved this car. It was comfy and nice to drive. It had its problems, but that's to be expected with its age. Most of the issues were electrical: window motors going out, tail lights going out and check engine light came on and no one could figure out why. But I loved it and it will be missed.

All the problems you will encounter
By bondsman66

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Jeeps are Jeeps, they are temperamental, but if you correct the known problems in advance, they will be a faithful friend for life. (see suggested Improvements) Too bad Chrysler, didn't recall the know problems.

Favorite Features

The 4x4 system on jeep is second to none. Selec trac, is the best of both worlds.

Suggested Improvements

Replace these things and you will have a 4x4 for life. 1. Fan relay (located behind passenger side head light) goes bad about every other year. don't use the same one, use after market. 2. Tail lights. passenger side and driver side. Again get after market, its alot cheaper, and better. Makes your jeep look better too. 3. Replace stuts for hood and back hatch. After market again. Auto Zone sells them for $20. 4. Front Driver seat. Take seat up and use 3 inch washers for all 4 bolts, or you will be sorry. Front right and back right bolts pull thru frame if you don't do it. 5. Replace radiator. Heavy duty after market. Jeeps run hot, the heavy duty model fixes the problem. 6. Fluids :)

Drives Like a Dream
By rameses000

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this model Jeep since 2005 and have had the usual maintenance problems others have talked about. The rotor trouble is easily fixed by installing a reputable brand brake rotor - not one made by Chrysler. Have the same front rotors for the past 7 years with no problem. Accelerates like a sports car and fuel consump is 18/24. Otherwise usual maintenance only. In 2007 the front end of my Jeep was hit and completely run over by a Semi while it was parked at a store. $3300 in body damage only. Mechanic said nothing to worry about, It's a Jeep. Thing runs like it just drove off the showroom floor. For me, it's a keeper.

Favorite Features

Incredible handling, smooth quiet ride, great acceleration and off road ability like no other.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should have beefed up the power window mechanism by using metal parts instead of plastic.

Good, not great.
By dulcimerplayer

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2003. I think at the time it had about 40k miles on it. Like many others, we’ve had to have had do to more-than-routine maintenance on the brakes; however, I must be fair and let you know that we drive in the mountains of NC pretty much on a daily basis. We researched the absolute heck out of cars before deciding on the JGC. My wife’s last car was a 1995 Honda Passport which absolutely about did us in in terms of maintenance (our mechanics put 4, I repeat, 4 engines in that car before it was fixed). Anyways, after doing much research, we found that the Jeep in-line 6 has one of the best reputations out there in terms of reliability, so we went wi

Favorite Features

Comfortable Great in the snow More than enough power Love standard options

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage isn't exactly fantastic Can't believe I had to replace the engine at 100k miles. That's terrible on a car that cost as much as it did new.

2001 Jeep grand cherokee 4.7
By djhjeep

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Iv'e had my jeep from 2005 and got it with 150k on it I now have 256k jeep is still running great but did not get there easily. I had the computer go a couple of years ago and did 'nt know what was wrong until I brought to the dealer and the dealer told me it would be a couple of grand to fix for a new computer eventually I found a shop to put a used one in and the vehicle was fixed. Other than that the engine and tranny is still running strong but I have a small knock and I had another mechanic tell that the head need to be replaced. Simple fix at advance auto $30 bottle to seal that actually worked great. The Jeep is like a tank through bad weather of the NE no stopping it

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive is unstoppable V8 is quick 80 mph through rain storms right though blizzards

Suggested Improvements

better electronics Bad fuel economy but what can you expect it a jeep with full 4 wheel drive and a v8