2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Worst car I've owned

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Laredo 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Worst car I've owned
By char1980 on

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I drove this car for 8 years. Regretted buying it after a year. I replaced or had to get the transmission torn down THREE times in less than 80k miles. Twice it was covered by warranty, but the third was all on me. Never got rid of a very loud and irritating sound, and the wiring wasn't ever correct due to manufacturer's defect. I had no less than SIX recalls. Finally, the manufacturer instructed the dealer to put the wrong brakes on the vehicle - discovered when they melted into the wheels during a road trip. Mfr paid for repairs but not hotel stay - we were stranded waiting for parts. Just don't buy it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive. Felt safe. Had lots of features, and glad I opted out of 4WD - I never needed it, and I lived in snowy Boston for five years.

Suggested Improvements

Buy the warranty if you must buy the car. Worth it. Transmission has GOT to be addressed. Educate dealers and mechanics on proper parts and procedures, and thoroughly test in R&D rather than recall later.