2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Not reliable
By Bobby M on 01/23/06 20:34 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this Jeep with 39,000 miles on it. I had to replace two speakers in dash, O ring on fuel pump, rear axle seal, door lock motor and driver seat motor. These repairs were done under warranty. It presently has 71,500 miles on it. If you are buying a Jeep please get the extended warranty. I don't recommend buying a Jeep. Itís not reliable like my 1994 Toyota Camry.

Pure Joy
By jim alexander on 01/15/06 08:44 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been maintained consistently. I have changed oil every 5000 miles and brought to dealer for follow up requirements. I live in NYC and only use the the Jeep from June through September to drive upstate to our summer townhouse. The Jeep otherwise is always garaged. The Jeep has saved us in some major snowstorms. I have leased this vehicle since 2000 and am totally happy with it. My company has been paying monthly $300 and now my lease is up and they won't let me re-lease ... so I hate giving up the Jeep.

Luxury Price, not so luxury quality
By 00jeepgcl4x4 on 01/10/06 19:39 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is fun to drive, it handles well, has nice part time 4x4 option -- great for the rain. However it's not reliable, rotors, and pads must be changed to aftermarket asap (expensive). Sensors, relays, and windows quit working way before you'd expect. And I've had serious electrical issues which cause the vehicle to quit while I'm driving (dangerous). Dealerships seems to provide little product support, and manufacturer takes little responsibility. These problems seem persistent regardless of how I take care of my vehicle, or how I drive it. Oh, the fuel gauge and rear gate lock have also quit working.

IT'S NO TOYOTA
By Joseph Mullin on 11/28/05 12:53 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

More quality is needed in the vendor parts dept. Brakes, head, radiator, grill; these are parts that had to be replaced at 25000 miles/3 years, along with new ignition switch.

2000 GC a 1st Place Prize
By geobob on 11/06/05 20:30 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

2000 Grand Cherokee is our 3rd Jeep. Daily driver and regular offroader, now has 195,000 miles after owning 5 years. Only addition was a 2 inch spring lift with Bilstein shocks all around. This has been a very reliable 4X4 that is used regularly off road for work and vacation off roading camping adventures from the deserts of So Cal to the Rubicon trails of Lake Tahoe. Typically tow tent trailer packed for 5 with bikes. Only disappointment was a stuck park/Drive shifter that would not go into park so we could not remove ignition key while on a 2 week trip to Omaha. Still running original water pump,axles,trans and other items that can typically wear out. Great all around vehicle, highly recommended.

Real Lemon
By Morris Wallace on 09/19/05 12:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle obviously built on a Monday or Friday. Poor manufacturer quality. Door lock failure ($1775 repair), timing chain failure ($2600 repair), cylinder head damage as result ($1200 repair). Dual heater control blend door repair ($980 repair) all in 2005. Vehicle has 120,000 miles. Chews brake pads like lunch. Will trade in on import vehicle ASAP. Advice: don't buy the Jeep GCL....

love my Jeep
By davidsin62 on 08/28/05 20:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

The Grand Cherokee had not had a very good rating the previous couple of years. I have only had one minor problem not related to wear -- electronic door lock problems in year 5. Hope every auto I buy holds up this well! Love the ride; much better than my friends' Explorers. Have just really liked everything! Hindsight: Would get the 8 cylinder instead of 6 since gas mileage is almost identical and you can always use the extra power, especially in Atlanta traffic.

Need to work out the kinks
By sbinoc on 08/12/05 18:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first JGC and I really enjoy driving it. It still looks great and the engine runs like a champ (4.7 V8). However, the little problems have added up and it may be time for a change. I have replaced door locks, power seat motors, a water pump, and multiple sets of rotors (brakes are below average for such a nice SUV). My biggest disappointment has been the A/C. It goes out intermittently and the service department can't seem to find the problem. I've heard other Jeep owners mention similar issues, so I think the company needs to address these things.

This major restyle year was totally hot!
By David McConathy on 06/08/05 18:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

A 2000 Jeep was the start of the restyle that turned heads along with mine. It's macho, stylish, powerful, and the full time 4 wheel drive is great for those ski weekends, and perfect for the extremely poor road conditions we face everyday. Those pot holes hardy faze the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now, the way you maintain your auto is 90% of the equation. Oil and filter changes are done every 3000 to 3500 miles eliminates 90% of problems you will have on any auto. I know folks who ignore the nurturing aspect of ownership and then blame the manufacturer when they break down, because of the owner's negligence. My Jeep is running like new after 100,000 miles.

The Best Yet
By NJMIKE on 05/18/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third Grand Cherokee. My first was a 1997 Cherokee I-6 Laredo. I sold that with over 125,000 trouble free miles (one water pump). My second, which I still own with 176,000 trouble free miles, is a 1998 ZJ 5.9 liter Limited - The Big Dog. My wife's 2000 Grand Cherokee now has 85,500 trouble free miles on it. She travels 80 miles a day on the NJ Turnpike. I wouldn't want her driving anything else. Period.