Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Don't buy one!
By Danelle

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my Jeep in the shop more then any other car I have owned in 25 years! the transmission was bad, the u joints needed replacing at 35k miles its had at least 3 recalls i have taken it in for. The back brake light works when it feels like it. I notice 9 out of 10 jeeps I see also have brake light problems. Now My drive shaft is out! I am not a crazy driver to work and home and occasional vacation. look up recalls for jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo its incredible how many there are. I like the way the jeep looks but will never buy another one.

looks

manufacture a decent car

Fun to drive
By david

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a used Grand Cherokee about 3 months ago and have had absolutely no problems with it. I bought the V8 and only get about 18 MPG but sold my 3/4 ton suburban for it so the gas mileage is great! Very fast with the V8, have gotten up to 115 in this with virtually no shaking or noises of any kind. I needed a mountain goat for the winter so I can get up the mountain for Skiing and have no concerns with powering through feet of fresh powder.

build in CD Changer, full time 4WD. Excellent off road performance.

Tweeters are junk but i bought new ones off ebay that are warrantied for less than $100 and have worked great.

After 4 1/2 years, we traded it in
By violet7

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I enjoyed my Jeep the 4 years we had it. But like another reviewer said, make sure you can afford to maintain the vehicle. I loved driving this car, I always felt safe in it. One problem it seemed with mine was that I always needed new tires. I think I had at least 4 flat tires the years we had it. Not including buying two new sets of tires. The speakers in the top of the dash blew after my husband turned the stereo up way too loud. Finally the radiator and fan blew, then the water pump twice, and the thermostat. (also had to get a new motor for the driver window) Gave up after that.

10 disc cd changer, fold down seats, jack under the back seat, stereo, controls on steering wheel

Fan and radiator (obviously), cd changer could have been in a better place. More leg room in the backseats.

Grand Problems
By mike

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the GC with 35k on it. Had to put a new $500 water pump at 36K. Various small plastic parts were replaced in the door locks. At 96k miles the AC only blows out of the defrost. The cruise control doesn't work. The tweeter speakers crackle. On the other hand the 6 cyl. engine and transmission have been reliable with no problems. Power is good and I get 20 mpg on the highway. The V8 version gets 14. The 10 disc player crapped out at 50k and I replaced the radio with a new Sony unit. Installed ceramic pads on the disc brakes second year I had it.

Great for off road trails but not a rock climber of course. Very comfortable and we have slept in the back with the seat down comfortably. 20 mpg. The V8 gets 14 mpg. The auto transmission is adaptable to the driving conditions.

They don't make this particular model anymore but I have come to expect poor quality from American Automakers. Sadly.

Don't Buy A Jeep
By reasy

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought 2000 Jeep with 35,000 miles, and just a few months of owning our Jeep the back window motor broke, then the drive side, then the passenger side. So we have replaced 3 window motors in 3 years costing $350.00 a piece to replace. Then the battery and alternator went. Then we had to replace the front differential bearings. Now 2 days ago we found out we have to replace the whole engine because the rod bearings broke. This Jeep was bought in excellent condition, not a mark on it. We bought it as a family car we do not go mountain climbing in it, we keep it updated with the oil and fluids change. This is very upsetting and every time I think about this it makes me sick in the stomach.

The only thing I am liking right now is the room it has, and it rides nice.