2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
One hot hot rod
By Dade on 09/19/06 07:30 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the performance of the Grand. I put in a K&N air filter and Bosch platinum 2 plugs. Handles great. She is a daily driver as I deliver pizza with the Grand; not the best gas mileage but stuck until VW gets fixed. Very comfortable, best vehicle to make deliveries with. I have not had any major problems yet. The transfer case was shot when i bought it and was replaced by the warranty. It does have the mechanical whine and the rotors and calipers are starting to warp, but there is a settlement to replace those now. The transmission does shift funny from time to time and the rear end is starting to groan when making slow sharp turns. She does have 132,000 miles and still running strong.

Problematic Jeep
By raiderfan on 06/10/06 06:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

OK. Where to begin? First the good stuff. The Jeep Grand Cherokee drives like a big friendly Teddy Bear, not like a pickup truck. It looks just as friendly, but I bought the car for perceived Jeep toughness, reliability and quality; however I found the Jeep lacking in those characteristics. Brakes shot at 25K, fuel pump fried at 27K, transmission done at 37K, water pump shot at 40K, persistent front end shimmy not fixed with tire balancing and universal joint replacement, etc. Wouldn't buy another one. The Honda-Nissan-Toyota SUV products are far superior.

Dependable
By Jim on 06/01/06 12:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has been very dependable and fun to drive. I had to replace the fuel pump while it was still under warranty and the water pump after 80,000 miles. I now have 86,000 miles on the Jeep and my only complaint is the noise the rear end makes when you let your foot off the gas. I have used the Jeep to pull a 21ft boat and stumps out of the back yard and it has performed very well. It has also not let me down in the snow when I ski in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Another great Jeep for our lineup
By DoubleKPerformance on 05/10/06 05:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Have numerous XJ Cherokee's that have proven themselves time and again for reliability and capability. Was hesitant to add a Yuppie Jeep to the lineup, mainly because the creature comforts kinda took away from the hardcore Jeeping mentality that we have. But all in all, this has proven us wrong. Who says you can't have an extremely reliable vehicle AND be comfortable at the same time?

I don't know why I bought a Heep
By Heep OF.. on 02/17/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Even though I read several reviews like this, I still convinced myself that buying this car was a good investment. My warning to anyone considering buying this is car is that anything can go wrong with it any day. If you do buy one, get the most service coverage you can, and make sure it goes over 100 K miles, or sell it by then.

Jeep Laredo 4x4
By G on 02/12/06 01:28 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This Grand Cherokee may be 6 years old, but it's still gorgeous and aging very well. My only gripe on the Laredo model would be the rear plastic bumper. It's hollow and someone recently rear ended the small right "bump" inwards. I was surprised that this being a Jeep, you would think the bumper would be more substantial.

Best car I have ever owned!
By Best Jeep Yet! on 02/10/06 12:27 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Jeep with 100,000 miles on it; within 3 months I have put 11,000 more miles on it, and this Jeep is going strong. No major problems with it at all ever, besides maintenance like all other vehicles. I do not know why everybody complains about this style of Jeep. If you treat it good, it will do the same for you! I have 20" chrome rims on mine, with no brake problems what so ever, and they are heavy rims. The only thing that has been replaced are the pads. Jeep couldn't of made this vehicle any better. I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off!

Pure Jeep.
By Neill on 02/08/06 17:33 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been great with regular maintenance and a fair amount of care. I love the features of the car and the engine is also just fine for me. Everyone says this vehicle has reliability issues. Although I have had the same problem as everyone with the brakes, I've had no other unusual problem for the life of this car. To fix the brake problem I simply replaced the front rotors and calipers (&pads) with an aftermarket setup and I've had no further problems. The Jeep isn't known for being perfect. It's known for being able to go anywhere, do anything, when you want to. This car allows me to do that, and in comfort.

In Love with My 3rd Jeep
By Ally on 02/04/06 14:30 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Started when I bought my 1st Jeep, a '94 Cherokee 2 door manual. I was hooked. The only thing wrong with that car was it did not come with anti-lock brakes. A leased '96 Cherokee 4 door followed, not one complaint. I finally gave in to my true desires & bought a '00 Jeep Laredo with 35,000 miles just off a lease. The car was clean with new tires. Have only changed the oil & rotated the tires every 3,000 miles. The car is comfortable, design is simple, had the dealer install leather. It rides smooth, takes bumps better than most cars & handles like a dream. Nothing like a Jeep off road! Only complaint is gas mileage, I average17.6 miles with average driving. Would recommend rear a/c vent. I would definitely buy this car again!

Grand Cherokee Believer
By J.Pasquarello on 02/03/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my first SUV in May of 2003. It was a 2000 Grand Cherokee with 24,700 miles. I had read the reviews about all the brake issues with the GC's and expressed my concern to the dealership. They did not deny that brakes were an inherent problem for that model year and preceding years. He did say however that Chrysler had a fix for them with beefed up components etc. They agreed to redo all the brakes on the car if I were to purchase it. I did and I have had no problems at all with the brakes. The ride is not as smooth as I would like but it is a JEEP. I have been very happy with it!