Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Worst car I've owned
By char1980

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I drove this car for 8 years. Regretted buying it after a year. I replaced or had to get the transmission torn down THREE times in less than 80k miles. Twice it was covered by warranty, but the third was all on me. Never got rid of a very loud and irritating sound, and the wiring wasn't ever correct due to manufacturer's defect. I had no less than SIX recalls. Finally, the manufacturer instructed the dealer to put the wrong brakes on the vehicle - discovered when they melted into the wheels during a road trip. Mfr paid for repairs but not hotel stay - we were stranded waiting for parts. Just don't buy it.

Comfortable to drive. Felt safe. Had lots of features, and glad I opted out of 4WD - I never needed it, and I lived in snowy Boston for five years.

Buy the warranty if you must buy the car. Worth it. Transmission has GOT to be addressed. Educate dealers and mechanics on proper parts and procedures, and thoroughly test in R&D rather than recall later.

Love My Jeep.....Looking for another
By jeeplover8

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo in 2007 from an auction, it had 95000 miles on it, I would still be driving my jeep today, but someone hit it when it was parked, and totaled, it had 163000+ miles. I didnt experience any engine problems,any transmissions problems, I performed a tune-up when i purchased it and regular maintenace every 3000 miles..It is true what they say, be good to your Jeep and it will be good to you!!

Love my Jeep
By InHisGrip

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought this car as a single mom with three teens and have loved it. They were never embarrassed riding in it and I have never had any major work done that either wasn't covered by warranty or was regular wear and tear. My oldest son now owns a 2001 and loves his too. I hope to drive it another 100,000 miles. I replaced my headlights this year and it looks new!

It's practical. It drives like a car and I can load nearly anything in it. I have moved entire rooms, groceries and kids. The best of both worlds for this practical mom. And it's reliable!

The car sways more than most and is a little rough on a rough road.

Surpisingly reliable
By Go_Jeep

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our Jeep in 2001 with 27,000 miles. At first we did have a few problems with it: (transmission modulator valve, fuel pump S/O anti-theft and at 60,000 we had a cracked cylinder head that was covered under warranty). At 90,000 the water pump went and nothing has failed since then. It has 144,000 currently. The transmission fluid and filter were changed every 30,000 as was the spark plugs, oil changed every 3500 (Valvoline 10W30). It has had 3 sets of tires and two batteries. We did have lots of trouble with the front rotors and this was fixed by going to slotted Powerstop rotors and pads. My Wife has been driving the Jeep everyday to work for 9 yrs and it has never let her down

Comfort, visibility, acceleration, handling/maneuverability, reliability and looks.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
By bradleyk335

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for a little over a year now, and I don't have anything to complain about so far! It has been reliable, comfortable, and it always gets me where I need to go no matter the weather.

Heated seats, full time all wheel drive is great for driving confidence in all weather conditions. Driven it cross country without a aching back! :)

Better fuel economy would be a plus, but it is a full size SUV so I can't ask for too much!

• SUV