2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
2000 Laredo at 280k
By vicpick58 on 10/18/09 12:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep used with only 17k miles and used it for a work vehicle. I drove it up to 1000 miles per week until it got up to about 250k miles. I liked this Jeep so much, I bought another one (a used 2004) in 2007. But I kept the 2000 for use as the wife's daily driver. It is still going strong at 280k miles. The engine (4.7) and transmission have never given me any trouble. Oh sure there have a lot of minor things go wrong, such as the electric door locks, throttle position sensor, waterpump, alternator, axle seals and those kind of things. The only major repairs have been the front differential and the engine computer. Jeeps do require more regular maintenance than some other vehicles

SHAME ON YOU JEEP
By doug on 10/18/09 07:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I still have nightmares about this vehicle. I lost all trust in American cars over this one. I can't believe Jeep would release such a poor vehicle in 2000. Dealer bought mine back. Spent more time in repairs instead of my driveway. Mainly had transmission issues and axle issues. Luckily didn't own it long enough to experience the whole range of issues. Shame on you Jeep for releasing such a poor vehicle and ruining your reputation

First Time,Last time Jeep owner
By SKYMAN on 10/14/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased Jan. 07. 13 days later Jeep replaced a cracked head gasket. Then the battery had to be replaced, then the ECU, then the gauges would tick & bottom out even with the key out. Then the tach and speedo stopped working. My mechanic & Jeep can't figure this out. I'm done with Jeeps after this! I will miss some things like how well it turned! the upgraded braking system I installed, the sound system, the way my baby handled in the snow and the lack of a car payment! Darn Jeep!!! :-(

Radiators, radiators and more radiators
By JonS on 10/10/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep at 78K and now has 112K. Its a I6 4.0L. It is really comfy, and quiet, but eats up tires. I've put 3 radiators in it, and a new fan, fan motor, and relay. It never left me on the side of the road, but it almost always has something wrong with it. Drivers side window regulator broke twice. Gets me to where I need to go and never have to worry about getting to the slopes. Just make sure you have money to keep it going.

my jeep
By steve on 06/12/09 07:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee limited 4.7l v8 efi and I love it. I have a supercharger on it, k&n cold air intake, throttle body, throttle body spacer, Hooker headers, and flowmaster exhaust, streetglow neons underneath and inside. And inside I have 3 jl audio 12'' subs with 2 1,000 Watt amps.

does good off road
By josh on 06/03/09 08:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this for a family vehicle and it has done very well it was a 1 owner when purchased @94,000 miles. It now has 121,000 and has had no Major problems I think this is due to the owner before me taking care of it I have had to replace the radiator and idle air control (the iac was causing it to die at idle) and its due for a tune up I do all my own work so no labor to pay for and most of the time after a little searching I can find the new parts I need cheap oil gets changed every 3k miles with mobile1 10w-30 its had it share of offroad and did well overall a decent vehicle if its taken care of I think I love it and would drive on or offroad anywhere

Beware before Getting This Jeep!!
By etravel on 05/07/09 07:01 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck I loved it in the beginning. Its approx a little over a year and it has done nothing but given me problems. The first thing was the driver side window motor and regulator. That was $330 alone. A couple months later the coil pack was going bad (only four out of the eight) that was very pricey. Couple months later my steering wheel fluid was leaking. Next my radiator was leaking, had to replace that thermostat, etc. Then couple months later got a tune up thinking this would help mileage and help it drive somewhat better. The next day the truck shut off while in park. Thinking mite be fuel pump is why car keeps shutting off (due to bad gas months ago) way to much money for maintenance!

Always a huge repair bill
By slh629 on 03/22/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Got this Jeep from a family member in 05. It was great until we took it in for inspection. Every time we take it in it costs us on average 800 to 1000 dollars. We drive very little and it has been garage kept and serviced yearly at least. Our new mechanic just told us the next set of repairs would be at least 1300 for the heater blower or something related to the lack of heat when we set it to the warmer settings. He told us it is something that Jeep should have recalled but hasn't. Also the dealer "fixed" the idle lag but it still dies at stop lights after they said they fixed it for about 500. I will never buy a Jeep product again and we are looking for a Toyota or a Honda!

Satisfied
By VT on 01/29/09 13:10 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

You see a lot of negative reviews for these cars but I've been happy with mine. It's up to 145,000 miles and have had very few problems. Gas mileage blows, but duh, it's a V8. Also, I live in VT so getting to the slopes in any conditions is a priority and this thing gets the job done in style!

I Hate This Jeep!
By Brandi on 12/16/08 13:07 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

When I bought this truck, I loved it. Since then it has been one thing after another. It started shaking and I found out that the coil packs had to be changed. That wasn't too bad. But then my heater coils and blower motor had to be replaced. That was quite expensive. I can say that it has never left me on the side of the road. That's a plus, but I will never buy one again.