Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Them's The Brakes....
By Sevilleized

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

This is my fifth Jeep product and the only one I have been less than pleased with. Today I had my brake rotors resurfaced for the second time (22k miles) which were shaking the vehicle when I braked. Transmission whines at highway speeds and drivers window clicks going up. Air conditioning is just ok, nothing like the old Grand Wagoneers and the wheels won't stay clean more than a day. I have tried to love this vehicle but can only manage to just like it ok. Have friends with similar Grand Cherokees and similar problems. My wifes 2001 Cherokee Limited is vastly superior in quality if not ride and comfort.

Favorite Features

Quality of interior materials (dash, woodgrain and buttons/knobs. Also ease of lowering rear seats and cramming lots of stuff in the back. Stereo pretty darn good and overall look of the vehicle is pleasing.

Suggested Improvements

Make them as loaded as the pre-99 models. After 99, they left off leather steering wheel and lighted mirrors as standards. Articulating headrests would be nice.

Piece of #$%@#
By James Yates

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

It is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. In 57000 miles the rear axle has been replaced 3 times, 5 power door locks,the AC, the alarm, the transmission. This is the 1st american made car I have owned in 15 years and It will be the last. The Jeep dealer wont stand behind it at all.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Learn how to build a decent quality vehicle

Jeep Junk
By Jeep Junk

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Its hard to know where to start, ok, the good, great looks. there done. The bad, everything, always in the shop, from drive line to electrical, heating and a/c to braking to cooling to, well everything. Paint peeling to add to it. worst vehicle i have ever owned, do not purchase this Jeep and year or any other, save yourself the pain and hassle, oh and money. Dealership can never fix it, wish someone would steal it so I would never see it in the drive way again.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, reliability, quality control, ah, scrap it and Chrysler should not have ever taken over Jeep.

UNRELIABLE
By BTU

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Do not even think about purchasing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had nothing but problems from the start. The rotors needed to be sanded down at 13k miles (at my own expense), the computer has been replaced, the steering column and ignition have been replace and now the hydrolics on the brake system have failed. If you do foolishly purchase a Jeep make sure to buy an extended warranty with rental car included. You'll need it. You will be driving the rental more than the Jeep. Trust me.

Favorite Features

Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Overall reliability and warranty coverage. Brakes should not fail twice within 25k and not be covered under warranty.

Disapointed
By FAL762

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is pertaining to the limited model with the quadra trac II. Was not a fan of the "all time 4wd". Controlled 4wd seems like it was designed for people who do not know how to use 4wd and need it controlled for them. Brakes were always worn and I was very easy on them. Electronics always seemed to have a problem. The gas line, leak detector, water pump, EVERY seal and gasket, radiator, and lock actuators all went under 75,000 miles. It seemed to have a new leak every month. Parts are extremely expensive. Unknown high pitched wine coming from the front axel. I sold it before I found out what that was. Paint chipped as well.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, lots of interior room. The fold flat seats gave lots of cargo room. I also used it as a tent camping/hunting sometimes as it fits an air mattress or sleeping bag. My mastiffs also liked the room. For an SUV of its size the mileage was not bad.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality. It ALWAYS had problems. Parts like brakes and shocks wore quickly, so parts that were a bit more heavy duty may have helped. They may have addressed that in the new line, not sure as I got rid of this and got a Wrangler.