2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Transmission/Rotor problems
By mibearbait on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Generally, the vehicle has been great, very few problems. However, approximately every 16,000 miles the rotors need to be turned due to warping. Dealer says that this is normal and should be done annually. My response was BS. I have 39,000 miles on it and I'm about due for anouther rotor job. Transmission, when shifting into overdrive, seems to slip. I've notice for the last few months the engine reving up when it shifts. Started watching the tach and it also indicates that the engine revs up when it shifts into OD.

Don't buy a Grand Cherokee
By paul171 on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I had more problems with that Jeep than any other vehicle I have ever owned. The transmission dropped within the first year along with many other small problems. I am also disappointed at the resale value of the Grand Cherokee. The manufacturer has taken steps to increase their sales while decreasing the resale value. Since I purchased my Jeep, Chrysler has offered a 7/70 power train warranty which I needed on my Jeep and creating options packages that offer more equipment and features for a lot less. I have been very disappointed and I finally traded the Jeep in last week. I am glad to be rid of it.

Great Car, Off-road/On-road
By Jackman90 on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The Jeep Grand Cherokee, is a nice little vehicle. It has the Quadratrac II, and can really pick-up with a v8. Adding a K&N filter also helps with it, and all around is a great car.

Very Happy
By ncelik on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have a very good lease deal on this vehicle. At the time, I was looking at the Passat. Across the street was a Jeep dealership. I went over and got out with a new Jeep. It costs me $100 less then the Passat, and there is NO comparison between these two. This is a much better familiy vehicle. The only thing going to Passats favor is fuel economy.

JEEP = JUNK
By rolltide on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Warning! Jeeps are junk! I purchased a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 V6 and had nothing but problems with it. First the braker rotors had to be resurfaced, then the fuel pump, then the passenger side window motor and finally the door locks. All of this within 17,450 miles! This should never happen to a new car with that few miles (Poor quality control).

Brake Issues
By Eddieboy on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Brakes are an issue. The rotors on mine went @ 12k miles, as well as a buddy in the office. They covered them the first time, but told me the next time I eat it at $1,200.00. This is an obvious recall issue with Jeeps and they need to be responsible enough to take on the repairs. If not, there are plenty of other companies selling SUVs without guaranteed repair issues.

Very Pleased
By Happy Jeep Owner on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought my 2000 JGC in 12/99 and have been extremely pleased. I now have 58,000 miles on it and have only replaced the brakes 2 times. The first time was due to the front rotor malfunctioning at about 17,000 miles.

Hmm. Brake problem
By Jeepster972000 on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Unless you own a company that makes the rotors, this vehicle may be too expensive. I love jeep vehicles, I own a 97 wrangler with no problems, but my 2000 Grand Cherokee has been in the shop for brakes 3 times (12K, 16K 27K) Plus we have started to notice a driveline howl, which the dealer says is normal. Jeep should stick to building just wranglers!

STAY AWAY
By SEVE on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

5 TIMES BACK TO THE DEALER ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,ROLLER COASTER OFFERS A BETTER RIDE,STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Jeep Class
By Bruce D on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I use to go through about one vehicle a year until I bought a used 1996 Grand Cherokee. I was so impressed with it, that within a year I bought my present 2000 model. The Jeep is perfect for my use. For a SUV, I consider it's 23-24 mpg on the highway a decent performance. Although not a hot rod, it has all the power needed for 99% of the time. Other than the having the driver's power window unit replaced once, it has given me trouble free operation.