2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
GREAT GRAND CHEROKEE
By WRHALLJR on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I LEASED MY GRAND CHEROKEE OVER TWO YEARS AGO. I HAVE NEVER OWNED A BETTER VEHICLE IN MY LIFE. I HAVE HAD ONE SERVICE VISIT BESIDES REGULAR MAINTENANCE STOPS, AND THAT WAS TO FIX THE ASH TRAY. IF THEY ONLY CAME WITH AN OPTIONAL 3RD SEAT AND WERE A LITTLE BIGGER I WOULD NEVER OWN ANYTHING ELSE.

Mr
By David Wilkins on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Same problem with brakes as everyone else. The comfort and smoothness of the ride more than makes up for it. Had the usual amount of little thinbgs that went wrong. My dealer couldn't have been any more helpful or customer servicer oriented about tyhe whole thing. I would purchase another one.

Transmission Troubles
By KAM on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The transmission is terrible. It has been at the dealers numerous times because it hestitates and slams into gear. Everytime the dealer "fixes it", the problem worsens, to the point of slamming into gear 2x between 15-20 mph producing a bucking effect. The ackward shifting is more dominant when the car is warmed up & between 15-30 mph. It also has much difficulty switching from Park to Reverse. Although the ride (suspension) is very comfortable, it is offset when you are bumping into different gears. Since the transmission is a costly repair that the dealer's "speciality" mechanics can't handle I wouldn't recommend this vehicle.

jeep
By micscubby on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I think it is a very reliable jeep. The 6 cyl.4.0l engine has enough horsepower and love the 4 wd in wis

Your get out what you put in...
By friendofbillw on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Picked up used, pre-owned by a little old lady...really! Recently took care of 60K maintenance at independent dealership, saved 100%-175% off of dealership service quotes. Absolutely love this vehicle! All options except V8, heated seats, and digital heat/ac. Better than Ford & Chevy SUV's (many experiences w/both) in numerous areas. 2000 and forward has been much better for these vehicles. Take care of your vehicle, including ALL maintenance as suggested, don't drive like a teenager, and your vehicle will take care of you.

Never Again
By Mike Mensing on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My first Jeep Grand Cherokee was a 1997 model with the V8. It was a wonderful vehicle except for the gas mileage. When my lease came up I opted for the new and improved version, a 2000 model. This vehicle has been in the shop more times than my previous 3 vehicles combined. The service staff knows my name when I walk up to the counter. I complained enough that Chrysler put new front rotors on my vehicle at 37,000 miles. Other problems to note: power windows, keyless entry forgetting codes, vehicle not starting due to computer system,....I could go on and on. I will never buy another Chrysler product!

My 1st Jeep
By DavidM on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have been holding breath about this car since we 1st bought it since our expectations about car quality have been set by Honda, Benz and other European cars we have owned! Two month ago, my confidence took a beating due to a recall notice that my friend (Jeep basher) called me about. Also, the breaks are gone already at 15000 miles!! On down hill slopes towards Santa Cruz, the car shakes when I press on the breaks to decelerate the car! Granted that my wife is the primray driver and they are torture on breaks, I would have expected a lot more distance with the breaks. The bottom line is that I feel less secure with this car

One and out...
By Chi Rob on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Same as everyone else, my brakes warped (15k) and had to get them cut. Some annoying vibrations, drive window goes up slow. The a/c comes on now whenever I turn on the vent so I need to get that checked. It's a decent truck, but for the money the quality should be better.

I love my Jeep!
By jengiddens on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had no problems with my Grand Cherokee. I love this vehicle! The only drawbacks are not-so-great gas mileage and higher insurance rates.

Brake problem with this Jeep
By Paul Hoffman on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This jeep has been in the shop at least 6 times in 2.5 years. Brakes are the big issue. We have had the front rotors surfaced 3 times in 30K miles. We know two other friends who have Grand Cherokees both with brake problems similar to ours. Chrysler will not warranty after 12K miles. They say it is a wear issue and they are not responsible. My wife drove a Ford Tempo for over 100K miles without touching the brakes. We will not buy another jeep/chrysler/MB due to the poor customer service. The customer service reps have actually told us to go buy other brands because they do not want our business. Also had the power windows repaired/replaced twice.