Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Most Helpful|
Luxury Price, not so luxury quality
By 00jeepgcl4x4

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is fun to drive, it handles well, has nice part time 4x4 option -- great for the rain. However it's not reliable, rotors, and pads must be changed to aftermarket asap (expensive). Sensors, relays, and windows quit working way before you'd expect. And I've had serious electrical issues which cause the vehicle to quit while I'm driving (dangerous). Dealerships seems to provide little product support, and manufacturer takes little responsibility. These problems seem persistent regardless of how I take care of my vehicle, or how I drive it. Oh, the fuel gauge and rear gate lock have also quit working.

Favorite Features

Part time 4x4 option, power 8-way seats. Overhead display for direction, temp, average economy, immediate economy, etc. Fold down back seats for great cargo room. Exterior design is great to allow for optimum internal room (I'm 6'0"). The tow package! Great for pulling the boat. This vehicle looks so sharp!

Suggested Improvements

Memo to Jeep; go back to what you were doing pre-999 models. The new components are causing issues. Need better rotors, and calipers, better regulators for windows, better PCM's. This system should not shut down like it does when it thinks something is wrong (if the parts don't talk). Dangerous!

Don't buy one!
By Danelle

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my Jeep in the shop more then any other car I have owned in 25 years! the transmission was bad, the u joints needed replacing at 35k miles its had at least 3 recalls i have taken it in for. The back brake light works when it feels like it. I notice 9 out of 10 jeeps I see also have brake light problems. Now My drive shaft is out! I am not a crazy driver to work and home and occasional vacation. look up recalls for jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo its incredible how many there are. I like the way the jeep looks but will never buy another one.

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

manufacture a decent car

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
By bradleyk335

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for a little over a year now, and I don't have anything to complain about so far! It has been reliable, comfortable, and it always gets me where I need to go no matter the weather.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, full time all wheel drive is great for driving confidence in all weather conditions. Driven it cross country without a aching back! :)

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be a plus, but it is a full size SUV so I can't ask for too much!

Pure Joy
By jim alexander

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been maintained consistently. I have changed oil every 5000 miles and brought to dealer for follow up requirements. I live in NYC and only use the the Jeep from June through September to drive upstate to our summer townhouse. The Jeep otherwise is always garaged. The Jeep has saved us in some major snowstorms. I have leased this vehicle since 2000 and am totally happy with it. My company has been paying monthly $300 and now my lease is up and they won't let me re-lease ... so I hate giving up the Jeep.

Favorite Features

The sunroof, leather seats, comfort, roominess, the ride, and the safety and reliability. I also like the remote rear and side windows from the inside control panel.

Suggested Improvements

I don't really have any suggestions for improvement.

I love my Jeep, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
By purpleman

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I've read a lot of these reviews and most of the complaints are about the dealership's mistakes, not the vehicle itself. I honestly have nothing bad to say about my my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The 4.7 V8 gives me a lot of power, and the full time 4x4 gives me added traction in any situation. I bought it initially for $5900.00 from a retailer and put another $3000.00 in repairs into it, but since then it's just been regular maintenance and it runs beautifully. My one and only complaint is that the sound proofing could be better. Once you get it on the highway it drowns out the radio pretty easily. My jeep just rolled over 215,000k and it runs better than the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

4.7 V8 engine for added power, the full time 4x4 for the traction (although this will most likely cause more drivetrain issues down the road), the transmission is solid and I haven't had to touch it for any reason. The sound system was great, but when you have to compete with the wind sound on highways you might end up, oh, I don't know, blowing your front passenger side tweeter in the dash... cough cough... The axles on these guys are solid and so is the suspension. Brakes are great although they tend to slide ever so slightly after you wash the vehicle. In winter, all you need is a good set of winter tires (I have hakkapalitta studded 7s on mine) and you won't have to worry about sliding.

Suggested Improvements

Soundproofing. Really, that's my only complaint with this vehicle. And even then I'm getting a new sound system installed and won't have to worry about it after.