2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Don't Buy One
By Anybody want a Jeep on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

This has been the worst vehicle we have ever owned and are in the process of getting rid of this junk. Poor quality. Since day one the car has had a very hard pull to the right. The Jeep has been to the dealer about 8 times for the pull and for brakes. They have been very uncooperative and told me the pull was normal....yea right.

Whew - feelin' lucky!
By Ray Bennett on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My 2000 Laredo 4WD must have been built weeks or months after the ones that most of the reviewers here seem to have gotten. We're at 57,000 miles; live in north-central PA, where we get all 4 seasons. On our second set of brakes. Vehicle does local and long-haul equally well; on and off-road equally well. My daughter recently t-boned someone with it, and after repairs, you can't tell. I was bounced off of the guardrails a week ago at 75, and again, you can barely tell. It, like the 93 Laredo 4WD I bought with 90k miles on it 4 years ago, is a tank. The 93 has 165k miles and just goes. I'd probably get another one.

What a shame
By MikeO. on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

It's too bad. After owning a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer, I was so excited to finally move up to a Grand Cherokee Limited. I loved the looks (except for the droopy rear-view of the gas tank), and the V-8 really moves. I loved this car. The shame of it is that I am now on a first name basis with the entire service staff of my dealer. Even worse, I am also familiar with a private shop because for all the items that were "excluded in the warranty". I don't have room to list all the problems. I'm glad I leased this car. I love to drive it, but reliability will make me return it. I couldn't imagine owning this car outside of a warranty.

Disappointed
By PCI on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

very good exterior design but not high quality materials : leather seats showed quickly as "used" for example. Car not stable in turns, even at 25mph, my kids complain of being pushed to the sides when I turn. Greatly disappointed as I expected more in terms of quality. Had to replacve brakes/rotors twice in 2 years.

No problems here!
By fretspan on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a great vehicle! I would buy one again. Great fun. Very Dependable. No problems.

Mostly great things
By captain on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle four wheel drive is great. I keep up with my brother in off-raod situations where he is driving a wrangler. My only issue was an engine problem that needed four trips to fix. As it turned out, they replaced the head. It has been great ever since. As for everybody having the brake problems, as long as it is still under warranty, they should be replaced by the dealer. Jeep came out with a new system for these vehicles to stop the rotor problems. Both a friend of mine and myself took our vehicles back to the Jeep dealership and complained aobut them. They replaced the brake system with out any further questions.

Will not own another Jeep...
By LenQ on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bad experience all around. Horrible wind noise behind driver/passenger area. Warped luggage racks (fixed under warranty.) Horrible service from dealer. I was actual told that oil seeping from my engine was "normal" even though no one else seems to have the same problem. The steering stabilizer bolt almost came out. The track arm bolt DID come out (fixed at my expense. Even with an extended warranty.) Alternate dealership replaced oil pan gasket but did not tighten all the bolts when reassembling oil pan. Horrible resale. Overall poor fit/finish/quality for the price paid.

Mixed Bag
By JIM on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Great truck. Tranny issues have soured me a bit. Gas milage has been ok. 4.0 litre engine under performs. If you can, get the eight.

Them's The Brakes....
By Sevilleized on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

This is my fifth Jeep product and the only one I have been less than pleased with. Today I had my brake rotors resurfaced for the second time (22k miles) which were shaking the vehicle when I braked. Transmission whines at highway speeds and drivers window clicks going up. Air conditioning is just ok, nothing like the old Grand Wagoneers and the wheels won't stay clean more than a day. I have tried to love this vehicle but can only manage to just like it ok. Have friends with similar Grand Cherokees and similar problems. My wifes 2001 Cherokee Limited is vastly superior in quality if not ride and comfort.

Brakes, Drivetrain and Electrical Woes
By Dissapointment on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had many makes of automobiles Japanese, German and American but this is the most problematic of them all. I purchased a Limited 4X4 with all the goodies, V8, Quadratrac etc,etc... The brakes have been among the worst I have ever owned needing replacement before 15K miles. The transmission has a mind of it's own, clunking off downshifts at slow speed and upshifting harshly when cold. The electrical system has been a nightmare randomly flashing the headlights when the vehicle is unattended. I should have done my homework before I purchased this vehicle. Shame on me!