Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Awesome Car
By Andrew

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

If you are looking for a reliable SUV, that is an actual SUV not the mom-mobiles that are out on the road today; look no further than the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I have the 4.0L inline 6 engine, which is known for being incredibly reliable, I've owned the car for about 3 years, purchased it back in 13 with just under 90K miles on it for 4K, today I have close to 145K miles on it and runs like a champ. I've put some money into it when I purchased it, about $750 to fix some steering issues but after I got that out of the way it has been a fantastic car. Basically just general maintenance and upkeep. I've put on new tires and brakes, but that comes with owning any car, as well as had a rusty brake line replaced as well as the crankshaft sensor which were both minor and relatively cheap repairs; it is a 16 year-old-car after all so it will need a few things replaced due to the age. The engine is smooth and never has given me any trouble. This car also handles great in poor driving conditions, the only thing you need to worry about in the snow are the other idiots on the road. I am nothing but confident driving in a snow-storm. The inline 6 makes getting stuck quite challenging, I have been in muddy conditions and the Jeep has gotten me out without a hitch. This is still before Jeeps became the luxury mom-mobiles of today. They were built when Jeep built reliable, tough, off-road, road ready vehicles. If you are considering getting one, get one. Don't shy away because the odometer has a reading of 150-200K miles, these are known for lasting well into the 300s. Great car and relatively cheap and easy to find nowadays. There's a reason why you still see a bunch on the road.

My repairs cost more then my jeep
By A waste of mond

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I guess I got the bad apples out of the bunch. I purchase my 2000 Grand Laredo jeep when it was 5 years old, it have 81,0000 miles on it and from the time I brought it home its been nothing but trouble up until this very day. Thirty days after getting it I had to replace the fluid pump. Anyone can tell you that I take very good care of my cars but I just can't win with Jeep.

185,000 and still going strong!
By ijustin

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has about 185,000 miles on it and it still runs great! Just had to replace a tire rod and transmission hose recently, The build quality of this car is really good, theres not alot of hard plastics, mostly soft to the touch, the basic 6 speaker sound system sounds AMAZING if you just turn up the base. The seats are comfortable and it drives nicely, it can be slow to accelerate but other than that its great! I would definitely recommend buying one. The only draw back i can think of is when you are going fast like 60 MPH or faster the steering wheel kinda shakes.

Sound System, Interior Quality

Steering Wheel wobbles at 60 MPH or over,

Maintenance
By renniejeep

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Overall the 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 2wd is very good, asl long as there are routine maintenance. After 175miles i use 5 qrts of20/50 oil with lucas oil, however i now receive a maintenance beeping sound without a readout in the cosole or engine light, normally it would display the problem...any ideas out there why/

All features, especially access to the engine parts with a lot of room to work with if need be.

The head lights fades and gets cloudy over time

Bad locks and a lot of engine heat
By lala76

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I had to replace the locks because my jeep has one key hole and that door quit working so I would be locked out for weeks at a time, have to wait for the battery to go dead and triple A to send a locksmith to get me in. The heat coming from under my jeep when it is running is so tremendous I do not drive with my window open and nobody can stand next to it and talk to me through the window without feeling like they are being cooked. My back window does not open and the windshield wiper back there falls off if I try to use it. The heat takes an hour to actually get hot by then its time to get out of the truck and doesn't matter.

My favorite features are the temperature displayed inside, and the rack on top but I am not tall enough to tie anything on it. My jeep gets up in speed pretty fast, and is good when it rains out. I like that the menu bar over the mirror tells me when maintenance needs to be done. I wish it said what maintenance it was though. For instance an oil change just says perform service.

I would improve that heat coming off that engine and I would put more than one key hole on the truck.

• SUV