2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
185,000 and still going strong!
By ijustin on 06/17/14 00:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has about 185,000 miles on it and it still runs great! Just had to replace a tire rod and transmission hose recently, The build quality of this car is really good, theres not alot of hard plastics, mostly soft to the touch, the basic 6 speaker sound system sounds AMAZING if you just turn up the base. The seats are comfortable and it drives nicely, it can be slow to accelerate but other than that its great! I would definitely recommend buying one. The only draw back i can think of is when you are going fast like 60 MPH or faster the steering wheel kinda shakes.

Maintenance
By renniejeep on 06/29/12 05:54 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Overall the 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 2wd is very good, asl long as there are routine maintenance. After 175miles i use 5 qrts of20/50 oil with lucas oil, however i now receive a maintenance beeping sound without a readout in the cosole or engine light, normally it would display the problem...any ideas out there why/

Bad locks and a lot of engine heat
By lala76 on 02/29/12 08:32 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I had to replace the locks because my jeep has one key hole and that door quit working so I would be locked out for weeks at a time, have to wait for the battery to go dead and triple A to send a locksmith to get me in. The heat coming from under my jeep when it is running is so tremendous I do not drive with my window open and nobody can stand next to it and talk to me through the window without feeling like they are being cooked. My back window does not open and the windshield wiper back there falls off if I try to use it. The heat takes an hour to actually get hot by then its time to get out of the truck and doesn't matter.

New motor and 180k miles later...
By dburkland1028 on 04/22/11 22:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I got my Grand Cherokee about a month ago from a wholesaler for $2000. Obviously it was a little rough around the edges with some dents and high miles (180k) but with a new 4.0 V6, this Jeep runs strong! The tranny is stock and shifts cleaner than a lot of brand new cars. For an SUV in its size range, the mileage is amazing. I get about 20 in city and up to 28 on highway. Mine suffered the plague of this model GC with warped front rotors. It was a quick and cheap fix, however, buying one with body damage is a risk, especially around the doors. Being a unibody car, the frame gets bent very easily, which is the last remaining problem on mine. Beautiful interior, lots of space, A+ ride!

Worst car I've owned
By char1980 on 02/23/11 17:57 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I drove this car for 8 years. Regretted buying it after a year. I replaced or had to get the transmission torn down THREE times in less than 80k miles. Twice it was covered by warranty, but the third was all on me. Never got rid of a very loud and irritating sound, and the wiring wasn't ever correct due to manufacturer's defect. I had no less than SIX recalls. Finally, the manufacturer instructed the dealer to put the wrong brakes on the vehicle - discovered when they melted into the wheels during a road trip. Mfr paid for repairs but not hotel stay - we were stranded waiting for parts. Just don't buy it.

Love my Jeep
By InHisGrip on 06/14/10 18:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought this car as a single mom with three teens and have loved it. They were never embarrassed riding in it and I have never had any major work done that either wasn't covered by warranty or was regular wear and tear. My oldest son now owns a 2001 and loves his too. I hope to drive it another 100,000 miles. I replaced my headlights this year and it looks new!

Great 2WD SUV. Very Reliable.
By SPETERS on 03/21/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this with 12,000 miles on it in 2002 and now I have 186,000 miles. It is the 2wd version so it gets ok gas mileage, but not great. Other than a few minor repairs and maintenance, it has not been in the shop. Fit and finish is good. It has been a VERY reliable car. It is fairly comfortable on long trips and has great storage capacity with the back seats down. I love the way the back seats fold completely flat. Holds two dog crates and tons of luggage. The ride is a bit rough and it takes turns like a heavy truck, but other than that is a pleasure to drive. The engine is a V6 and has plenty of pep and low end torque. I don't tow anything so a V6 was fine for me.

Don't buy one!
By Danelle on 11/22/08 09:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my Jeep in the shop more then any other car I have owned in 25 years! the transmission was bad, the u joints needed replacing at 35k miles its had at least 3 recalls i have taken it in for. The back brake light works when it feels like it. I notice 9 out of 10 jeeps I see also have brake light problems. Now My drive shaft is out! I am not a crazy driver to work and home and occasional vacation. look up recalls for jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo its incredible how many there are. I like the way the jeep looks but will never buy another one.

After 4 1/2 years, we traded it in
By violet7 on 07/28/08 14:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I enjoyed my Jeep the 4 years we had it. But like another reviewer said, make sure you can afford to maintain the vehicle. I loved driving this car, I always felt safe in it. One problem it seemed with mine was that I always needed new tires. I think I had at least 4 flat tires the years we had it. Not including buying two new sets of tires. The speakers in the top of the dash blew after my husband turned the stereo up way too loud. Finally the radiator and fan blew, then the water pump twice, and the thermostat. (also had to get a new motor for the driver window) Gave up after that.

Fun Vehicle
By Maggie on 01/16/08 05:15 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I love my Jeep. Has provided style and comfort while driving with few problems. It is versatile and is a great traveling vehicle or running errands.