Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

185,000 and still going strong!
By ijustin

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has about 185,000 miles on it and it still runs great! Just had to replace a tire rod and transmission hose recently, The build quality of this car is really good, theres not alot of hard plastics, mostly soft to the touch, the basic 6 speaker sound system sounds AMAZING if you just turn up the base. The seats are comfortable and it drives nicely, it can be slow to accelerate but other than that its great! I would definitely recommend buying one. The only draw back i can think of is when you are going fast like 60 MPH or faster the steering wheel kinda shakes.

Sound System, Interior Quality

Steering Wheel wobbles at 60 MPH or over,

First time Jeep owner
By marcoose84

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my JGC about a month ago and it has 115,000 miles and so far I love it. The CD player has a mind of its own sometimes, but what do you expect for a 13 year old Jeep. I've owned several SUV's and I have to say its been my favorite. I can honestly say I maybe sold on Jeeps. This won't be my last.

I love my Jeep, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
By purpleman

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I've read a lot of these reviews and most of the complaints are about the dealership's mistakes, not the vehicle itself. I honestly have nothing bad to say about my my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The 4.7 V8 gives me a lot of power, and the full time 4x4 gives me added traction in any situation. I bought it initially for $5900.00 from a retailer and put another $3000.00 in repairs into it, but since then it's just been regular maintenance and it runs beautifully. My one and only complaint is that the sound proofing could be better. Once you get it on the highway it drowns out the radio pretty easily. My jeep just rolled over 215,000k and it runs better than the day I bought it.

4.7 V8 engine for added power, the full time 4x4 for the traction (although this will most likely cause more drivetrain issues down the road), the transmission is solid and I haven't had to touch it for any reason. The sound system was great, but when you have to compete with the wind sound on highways you might end up, oh, I don't know, blowing your front passenger side tweeter in the dash... cough cough... The axles on these guys are solid and so is the suspension. Brakes are great although they tend to slide ever so slightly after you wash the vehicle. In winter, all you need is a good set of winter tires (I have hakkapalitta studded 7s on mine) and you won't have to worry about sliding.

Soundproofing. Really, that's my only complaint with this vehicle. And even then I'm getting a new sound system installed and won't have to worry about it after.

Waste Of Money.
By amandajeannnn

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given this vehicle as a gift for my first car. Where I'm from the 4 wheel drive would come in handy, so it seemed like a good buy. Well after about a month of having the vehicle everything went down hill. There's about 128,000 miles on it and I've already spent over 4 grand fixing things that have gone wrong. I've never seen a car with so many problems. Maybe it's old age, but from what I've heard from other jeep owners, the grand cherokee model is not worth the money. It's been three months and I'm already looking for a new car.

Maintenance
By renniejeep

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Overall the 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 2wd is very good, asl long as there are routine maintenance. After 175miles i use 5 qrts of20/50 oil with lucas oil, however i now receive a maintenance beeping sound without a readout in the cosole or engine light, normally it would display the problem...any ideas out there why/

All features, especially access to the engine parts with a lot of room to work with if need be.

The head lights fades and gets cloudy over time