2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
185,000 and still going strong!
By ijustin on 06/17/14 00:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has about 185,000 miles on it and it still runs great! Just had to replace a tire rod and transmission hose recently, The build quality of this car is really good, theres not alot of hard plastics, mostly soft to the touch, the basic 6 speaker sound system sounds AMAZING if you just turn up the base. The seats are comfortable and it drives nicely, it can be slow to accelerate but other than that its great! I would definitely recommend buying one. The only draw back i can think of is when you are going fast like 60 MPH or faster the steering wheel kinda shakes.

First time Jeep owner
By marcoose84 on 08/21/13 21:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my JGC about a month ago and it has 115,000 miles and so far I love it. The CD player has a mind of its own sometimes, but what do you expect for a 13 year old Jeep. I've owned several SUV's and I have to say its been my favorite. I can honestly say I maybe sold on Jeeps. This won't be my last.

I love my Jeep, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
By purpleman on 03/04/13 10:07 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I've read a lot of these reviews and most of the complaints are about the dealership's mistakes, not the vehicle itself. I honestly have nothing bad to say about my my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The 4.7 V8 gives me a lot of power, and the full time 4x4 gives me added traction in any situation. I bought it initially for $5900.00 from a retailer and put another $3000.00 in repairs into it, but since then it's just been regular maintenance and it runs beautifully. My one and only complaint is that the sound proofing could be better. Once you get it on the highway it drowns out the radio pretty easily. My jeep just rolled over 215,000k and it runs better than the day I bought it.

Waste Of Money.
By amandajeannnn on 02/21/13 11:54 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given this vehicle as a gift for my first car. Where I'm from the 4 wheel drive would come in handy, so it seemed like a good buy. Well after about a month of having the vehicle everything went down hill. There's about 128,000 miles on it and I've already spent over 4 grand fixing things that have gone wrong. I've never seen a car with so many problems. Maybe it's old age, but from what I've heard from other jeep owners, the grand cherokee model is not worth the money. It's been three months and I'm already looking for a new car.

Maintenance
By renniejeep on 06/29/12 05:54 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Overall the 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 2wd is very good, asl long as there are routine maintenance. After 175miles i use 5 qrts of20/50 oil with lucas oil, however i now receive a maintenance beeping sound without a readout in the cosole or engine light, normally it would display the problem...any ideas out there why/

Bad locks and a lot of engine heat
By lala76 on 02/29/12 08:32 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I had to replace the locks because my jeep has one key hole and that door quit working so I would be locked out for weeks at a time, have to wait for the battery to go dead and triple A to send a locksmith to get me in. The heat coming from under my jeep when it is running is so tremendous I do not drive with my window open and nobody can stand next to it and talk to me through the window without feeling like they are being cooked. My back window does not open and the windshield wiper back there falls off if I try to use it. The heat takes an hour to actually get hot by then its time to get out of the truck and doesn't matter.

Three Jeep Family
By 17thmichigan on 12/05/11 05:40 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in August 2008 and love it. I've only had a few minor repairs done to it. My Jeep is properly maintained with all fluids being checked every time I take it in for an oil change at 3,000 miles. Of course having a son who is a service advisor at a Jeep Dealership helps. LOL We also own a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which is still going strong at 198,000 miles, and a 2010 Jeep Liberty Limited. We are and will remain a Jeep family. Before our current Jeeps we owned 94, 98, and 2000 Jeep Cherokees.

High mileage and still going strong
By megs3 on 11/18/11 21:39 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 291,000 miles on my Jeep. Yes, I have had repairs beginning at 120,000 through 190,000. The cost of repairs exceeded the cost of my Jeep. However, I HAVE NO PAYMENTS on a newer car, and in analyzing this expense vs buying a new one, I'm still ahead. Paid 12K and put in about 16k. For the repairs, replaced the CV boot about 3 times, replaced regulators in the front windows, and the transmission at about 240,000. And an infamous rattle in the rear end which finally turned out to be the rear door. Truthfully, most of the cost of repair went to inexperienced mechanics that thought they could fix anything, and knew nothing about jeeps. Its a great vehicle and well worth keeping.

Love it despite problems
By emsmom on 07/08/11 08:42 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the 3rd user of this car. Heated seats & a/c dont work. sunroof no longer seals, power locks are iffy, and previous user had to fix transmission. My feet get hot from engine heat. Replaced the hatchback and hood shocks. I will try to solve the A/C and locking issues. We sealed up the sunroof b/c its a waste anyway - just lets in heat. The biggest problem I have had is the "death wobble". We rebuilt the front-end for $1000 in parts and under a yr later we had the problem again. hubby met a jeep guy and I just bought under $200 aftermarket 2nd steering stabilizer. He was ready to push it off a cliff. I'd rather spend a $1k to get this fixed than to spend another $2k on another vehicle.

New motor and 180k miles later...
By dburkland1028 on 04/22/11 22:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I got my Grand Cherokee about a month ago from a wholesaler for $2000. Obviously it was a little rough around the edges with some dents and high miles (180k) but with a new 4.0 V6, this Jeep runs strong! The tranny is stock and shifts cleaner than a lot of brand new cars. For an SUV in its size range, the mileage is amazing. I get about 20 in city and up to 28 on highway. Mine suffered the plague of this model GC with warped front rotors. It was a quick and cheap fix, however, buying one with body damage is a risk, especially around the doors. Being a unibody car, the frame gets bent very easily, which is the last remaining problem on mine. Beautiful interior, lots of space, A+ ride!