1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Our first Jeep, last Jeep?

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Our first Jeep, last Jeep?
By jackie & christina on

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Program car purchased 2002, 36k, haggled dealer down to $15k after much haggling and trade of a 1993 Isuzu trooper (was a great SUV, but very high maintenance costs just like my other SUV Mercedes ml320). Back to the Jeep, where do I begin? Brake issues just like everybody else in warranty issues now out of warranty issues (mechanic tells me due again after 20 months). Problems linkage sticking 4wd transfer case, back many times for repair the usual fix lubricated and claimed all well still sticks today! Very hard to take in and out of 4wd without a hassle! Remember it's an SUV cause the mpg (15 around town less than 20 on highway) are tough now at $4.00 a gallon, trading it in today $3500?

Favorite Features

Excellent in snow, it's a Jeep! Looks are nice, ride is ok, not crazy about seat design, interior nice, on board overhead computer is nice, Mercedes missed the boat on that one, better mpg than my Mercedes ml320, pretty close, been reliable never broke down. Still looks great, little rust on frame.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes! Purchased 6 years ago, set of brakes a year, only drive 9800 miles annually around town, little better this time around after fighting with Jeep about caliper replacement and finally Jeep replaced @ 78k! Liked my 1993 Isuzu trooper much better had to get rid of, $1500 for exhaust system