1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
overall good vehicle
By delta mike on 06/02/05 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive, extremely reliable, good looking SUV. Had problems with the brakes warping every 12000 miles.

Jeep
By Rick on 05/20/05 23:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy driving my Jeep Grand Cherokee through the mountains of Colorado and having all time four wheel drive for the rough terrain and snowy weather. The interior uses advanced technology and is very comfortable.

Satisfaction plus
By Jim Liberacki on 04/11/05 06:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee is the best overall vehicle for the money we have ever experienced. It is particularly easy to operate in traffic and park in tight places. The continuous 4 wheel drive allows the freedom of off-road maneuvering at the ranch. Plenty of road power. The mileage is actually less than our '97 Cadillac with the Northstar engine system. The Jeep is consistently around 19 MPG sometimes a little less. Love it.

Great SUV for the money
By DAVE on 03/15/05 22:24 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee with 80,000 and have been totally happy with the vehicle. Even at 6 years and 80K it looks and drives like new. Lots of power and still gets 25 MPG on the highway. Turns more heads than any other $9,000 vehicle I know of.

1999 Jeep Grand cheroke
By gwcoggin on 02/26/05 21:15 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I can not get the brakes fixed, needs a new set of rotors every 10,000 miles. The transfer case goes 20,000 miles between leaks in the transfer case. It is very capable off road and it is a wonderful vehicle to tow behind my Motorhome.

it's a Jeep!
By Ryan on 02/07/05 10:28 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had three Jeeps now, two of which were Wranglers. Although I still love the Wranglers, they can't compare to the everyday capabilities of my Cherokee. I have a '99 Limited and have yet to encounter any problems. The power is great coming from the 4.7L engine and the overall quality is superior. It goes great in the snow. I've had to pull out Blazers before in places that my Jeep wouldn't even bat an eye at. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned and will definitely buy the new '05 Hemi within the next few weeks.

so so
By jel82303 on 02/03/05 22:59 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have not had any major problems with my Jeep. Only that there has been a loud clunking sound like the transmission when I start or stop. I have brought this to many Jeep dealers and was told this is normal...it is the quadra drive. Seems like such a feature should not be so embarrassing to have. Also, have replaced MANY sets of brakes. It does have great towing power and get-up. If you like a cushioned ride in a vehicle that feels like it is attached to the wheel by elastics this is for you. And forget interior room, especially in the back seat.

I love my Jeep....except
By penneywise on 01/22/05 11:01 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep used with 35,000 mi. I test drove 2, and the other one had more pep (both were V8's). I now have 69,000 mi and the brakes have "hot spots" that cause the front end to shake. Suggestion is to upgrade to racing rotors ($$$). The radiator still leaks after being replaced. The turning radius is poor, and on hard turns it makes an awful noise. Truck looks great though! Cargo space is good. Needs shoulder belts for middle rear seat; only accomodates 2 children in booster seats. Mileage averages about 16. Thinking of upgrading to Durango to get extra seating with similar style and mileage. Audio controls on steering wheel are fun. Even with the problems, I will still miss my truck.

It's a Jeep
By JBC on 12/25/04 05:46 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Great off road and winter driving vehicle. Have a 100,000 miles on it and very satisified with overall performance, reliability and looks. Brakes were initially a nightmare with front rotors and pads changed three times (once covered under warranty). Cruise control out twice. PCM went bad at 74000. If you buy one of these vehicles, I recommend you get extended warranty.

This is not a car
By tom desuler on 12/02/04 20:34 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought a 99JGC limited will all the fixins. I researched this vehicle and Chrysler thoroughly before purchance. this vehicle is a jeep -not a car and won't respond the best driving to work and back everyday. It is built for offroading and rides like a jeep -not a passenger car. Most of the complaints here come from ignorance of how to drive the vehicle and maintaining it . Some are lemons but folks dont seem to understand that u need to buy a honda civic to goto work and back -not an engineered quadra track 4 wheel drive off road devise. If u drive it like a car thru constant stopping and starting in urban jungle traffic u will wreck the rotors and the dual transmission.