1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Sort Reviews by

A lot of good - some bad
By traildog

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new, now 138K I6 Quadradrive Ltd - had her in mud, mountains, rocks, washes, desert, snow, hunting etc - never got stuck! Get 19/22 and have put less than $500 in 7 years (other than tires, brakes, and oil). Now I am facing tranny, CV's, A/C, power window, water pump, cruise repairs, tires and who knows what else. It ain't cheap to get fixed.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, leather, sunroof, steering wheel controls, decent ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Have a lot of road noise - sounds like a semi singing down the road. Sunroof makes wup wup sounds unless back windows are open. Could use more ground clearance. Could use a folding front passenger seat so I can sleep stretched out inside when hunting.

mikeark
By mikeark

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new in 1999, now have 90000 miles. Still love the looks and power of the 4.7 liter 8 w/ quadtrac. Some problems with brake rotors in front ... nothing serious. Mileage not real good, 15/19, but this is a heavy 4wd vehicle. The heater in the drivers seat has not worked in years and the hood will not stay up. I am concerned about the future after reading these reviews ... am looking at a Mazda3 5 door.

Favorite Features

Comfort, power, utility.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes need upgrade.

'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
By Chris

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I haven't had this car too long, but long enough to "rate it." It's a great SUV, comfortable, not too bad on gas but right now it's in the shop for the crankshaft sensor, a part recalled in 2004 and the dealership isn't honoring it. I haven't had any real problems other than a speed sensor about two months ago when I first bought it. My sunroof tends to leak and it is really annoying. Other than that I love my Jeep and I wouldn't choose anything else. I also have a noise in the front left tire area, I'm thinking maybe the control arm or a ball joint, but it's expected, it has 86,000 miles on it and I only paid $8,500 for it. It's a Limited, fully loaded with EVERY option and accessory.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats and the digital dual climate control.

Suggested Improvements

I know it's only a 4.0L I-6, but its does lack a little power off the line. Power is good, but saving gas, especially now, is even better.

Getting a bad rap
By Jack Nicely

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV does everything I expect from it. I don't get stuck when ever I feel like going over the curb and off the beaten path. It is an excellent car for my wife to lug the groceries or carry her Avon products. It is a comfortable ride for longer trips, 6-8 hours, and plenty of packing space. Pulls my small trailer just fine. Brakes and steering work fine, the ride is comfortable. It still feels new after 70,000+ miles. Interior gadgets are easy, such as the seat maneuvering or seat belts. My gas mileage isn't bad for a 6 cylinder, about 26 mpg. Maintenance has been minimal. It is a pleasure to take out and drive, plenty of pick up speed. The only problem we have is with the dealership maintenance

Favorite Features

Over all looks are appealing. Ability to handle lots of snow and ice on the road. Very good viability from inside. Just the right amount of power from the 6 cylinder engine, and a very reassuring feeling when my wife is driving it alone. Everything is so simple. Alarm and auto door lock is great.

Suggested Improvements

Shifting in and out of 4wd could be less confusing. The dealerships held more accountable for their service and attitude.

Jeep - it's the snow
By Intrepid man

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The best ride in snow on the market. Long drives are a joy, no fatigue.

Favorite Features

Comfort and driving in the snow, canyonlands are tamed with this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise has become a problem on the passenger's front side.

Could be worse...
By Jolly James

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

My wife and I have owned four other Jeeps prior to this one, all of which we were very pleased with. We bought this one and also bought the extended warranty. We have many mechanical problems with this one that we didn't have with the others including new transmission, fuel pump & regulator, axle bearings, taillight assemblies shorting out, warped rotors, calipers that stick, and wind noise. Fortunately, everything has been covered under the warranty. Overall, it has a rock-solid motor, good styling & good value. I am not unhappy with the car, but I would be if we didn't have the warranty. Our warranty runs out in two more years, and we will probably sell it just before that.

Favorite Features

Style, value, 4.0 liter engine that gets better mileage that most SUVs of similar size (17/23), easy to drive -- turns as good as most cars, rides smooth.

Suggested Improvements

It needs improvements to the brakes; which work really well, but don't last long, transmission, and our weatherstripping around the doors has shrunk and causes little extra road noise. GREAT CAR IF YOU HAVE A WARRANTY! SORRY IF YOU DON'T.

Mine's been very good
By Like MY Jeep

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Wow, I can't believe how lucky I've been. My Grand Cherokee Ltd has been great with only the brake issue ever a problem. I've been through 2 sets of rotors and pads in 4 years. I drive it fast and hard all the time and love the way it handles except for the side to side rocking over bumps which takes some getting used to. I have the 6 cylinder and AWD (not Quadra that came with the V8's) and my mpg seems to hover around 16-17 except in really cold weather when it drops to 14. Tows my 20' boat with ease. Upright comfy seating, leather is high quality, midsized (think station wagon). I think it's better looking (the '99 version) than the latest model. I liked my '93 Grand Cherokee Limited too. Guess I knew what I was buying.

Favorite Features

Location of steering wheel controls for stereo & cruise, handling, towing, looks, interior materials. Memory seats in front. Great stereo with factory amplifier. Well geared for get up and go even with the 6 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

Brake pads and rotors SHOULD last longer. Would like to see the turbo diesel that's available in Europe sold here (my German cousin has one and gets about 26 mpg).

Love My Jeep
By D. Stokes

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

This SUV rides so comfortably and we always get compliments on it. Very few issues. The computerized metrics/displays are really helpful and advanced.

Favorite Features

Great contoured seats and computerized metrics/display features. Also love the timeless body design.

JEEP = JUNK JUNK JUNK
By Bill

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I put very limited mileage on this vehicle annually, and it is by far the worst quality vehicle I have ever owned. I have put new brakes and rotors on this vehicle TWICE, a front drive shaft, rear wiper motor, CV boots on the front TWICE, front radiator fan TWICE, rear CV boots, and a few other little things not worth mentioning, but you get the idea. Jeep equals junk, and that's the bottom line. I will never own another Daimler-Chrysler product again, and neither will my family or friends. Not to mention the service at the dealership left something to be desired.

Favorite Features

My absolute favorite feature of this vehicle is the supreme comfort. I have NEVER driven a vehicle and felt the level of comfort that this vehicle delivers. You would think that you were home in your own living room! And the 4X4 is unmatched. I have never gotten stuck before, and I have tried!

Suggested Improvements

Daimler-Chrysler needs to sell Jeep to a company who will instill it with quality and workmanship, and show America why the U.S. military put their faith in this vehicle to begin with! Simply put, Jeep will never be confused with a quality vehicle again if they stay the current course.

Not a Jeep fan!
By carolina girl

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased my Jeep new in 1999 with 50 miles. I now have 133,000 miles. I had a new transmission replaced the first month i owned it in 1999. I have also replaced the brakes front and back numerous times (recalled in 1999) including front calipers this year. I have fixed the rear suspension differential twice. The water pump in 2004. My key doesn't open the driver door and hasn't in 4 years so I have to use the keyless remote. The drivers side seat is broken. In spite of all the money and repairs made my Jeep still rides just like it's brand new. I have kept it serviced well over the years but I just don't think this vehicle is made to last. This will be my last Chrysler Jeep vehicle.

Favorite Features

Infinity stereo, Jeep still looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Better braking system. passenger side door key entry, 3 row of seats