Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

JUNK
By laustin

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted this car all my adult life. I could finally afford it and all it did was break down. Compare to my wrangler this was junk. 3 radiators. 3 water pumps, constant broken hoses...and this is with my constant care! will NOT buy again

appearance

make it built to last

Who would give me cash for this clunker?
By No More Jeeps for Me

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new online in '99. Had to replace front & rear differentials shortly after warranty expired. Lost arbitration w/ shop that used wrong diff. fluid due to Jeep bulletin. Replaced condenser, evaporator, shocks (twice), rotors, pads, yada, yada, yada... Does this vehicle have a seal that doesn't leak? CD changer quit working & front passenger speaker blew long ago. Transmission shifts hard from 1st to 2nd during the winter... likely a viscosity issue as dealer can't fix w/o pulling out tranny which I won't pay for. Check engine light has been on for 2+ yrs now. Dealer won't cut wire. Got 132,000 miles with mostly new parts so hoping for 200,000 miles. Repair bills mounting...

Too many to list in only 300 characters.

Good enough for me
By jim

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 02 Grand Cherokee over 2 years ago now and it's been good. Had to replace front rotors and brake pads, spark plugs, tires and oil of course. Put on over 25000 miles now and very reliable for me. A rear axle seal is bad now and something is making noise with the AWD system. Inline 6 was a great motor, now the 3.7 v-6 isn't nearly as good but that's why Chrysler went bankrupt. Love the styling, roomy and powerful, handles well in snow or off road. Headlight lenses clouded up too. Just starting to rust 10 years down the line. Go get one!

Seats, style, towing, comfortable.

Brakes, window motors, door weatherstripping shrunk, loud motor, whining running gear.

Not happy
By TrailCat

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We owned a 1995 Grand Cherokee, V-8 for 3 or 4 years. Bought it used and drove it until it had 250,000 miles on it. It began stalling out under all conditions and NO ONE could find the answer. We then bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee with 110,000 miles, and it has been a piece of junk! Our friends have a 1999 Grand and our problems mirror each others, costing hundreds of dollars for each repair. To replace power window mechanism; $400+ each window. Tail light unit; $250+ each. Front drive shaft (new design for that year); $500+. We are done repairing! We want a different Jeep Grand, but to find the year with the least problems.

Comfortable trail runner. Great 4x4 performer.

Improve mechanical parts reliability.

good truck
By mike

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this suv with 75,000 miles on it and I have no regrets its been very well a few minor problems gas line leak at 120,000 mi crankcase sensor bad at 125,000 trans sensor at 115,000 it runs very well

4 wheel drive