1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Sort Reviews by

120,000 Miles, No Problems!
By jeep lover

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep new, and after 120,000 miles, I have done nothing other than the ordinary tuneups and brakes. Have the big V8 and still get 19-20 highway. Use it everywhere and mild offroad. Seems bullet-proof!

Favorite Features

Great seats! Easy driver.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise.

she's been good
By freak4stars

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep when it had 100k miles on it. My only complaint is the transfer case is tore up, therefore I lost my 4x4 capabilities. It doesn't get that good of gas mileage. However compared to other SUVs the same size it isn't too bad. I love the interior and it is extremely COMFY. I would recommend this vehicle to anybody!

Favorite Features

10 disc changer, good sounds system, very comfortable.

Outstanding Jeep Grand Cherokee
By B Stuart

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Laredo since Spring of 2000 and it has been an excellent buy. We have taken it in the mountains of NH, VT, MA, ME & PA. It has performed well on the highway, as well as inter-city driving. It has never been garaged and has no rust. It is quite dependable and cost effective to repair, but repair have been the standard stuff, nothing really major.

Favorite Features

The basic V-6 motor is built to last.

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L 4WD
By aerotechie

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Pros: Great looking, great driving, comfortable SUV. Plenty of torque. Cons: Fuel mileage. Reliability. In 1.5 years, have had to replace tie rod ends, one front hub assembly, rear axle bearings, exhaust manifold gaskets, door control modules (for power windows and locks), crankshaft position sensor, striker switches in doors, HVAC unit, and the battery twice. Vehicle was purchased with 93k miles and is used primarily for commuting to and from work on rural roads--i.e., I don't drive it hard. Always left wondering what new problem will emerge.

Favorite Features

The styling and ride are very nice. Very comfortable on long trips. Fold-flat rear seats greatly expand cargo capacity. Vehicle is great in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability! The electrical system in particular has given me fits.

Distress
By jeepers

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Insurance is high, fuel economy is low. Minor problems can be very costly. According to the dealer the fuel pumps are issues. Loaded to the gills it still is nothing to brag about!

Favorite Features

Audio features.

Suggested Improvements

Where to start?

Solved the Brake Problem
By JHL

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After having this vehicle to the dealer for warped rotors at least 3 times and to other mechanics twice thereafter, I bought a custom set of drilled and slotted rotors at 60k miles, now I have 130k miles on it and have not had a problem. Daimler Chrysler was "no" help at all and refused to acknowledge that they have a problem with these rotors. I traded a 1995 GMC Jimmy which was total junk for this and it has turned out to be better junk that's more comfortable. I've owned this vehicle since new, I do not intend to ever buy another car by Daimler Chrysler.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, fairly solid, and has a good sound system, and I like the controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes! Build quality! Better Dealers. A dealer 5 star rating doesn't mean squat in my opinion. I've had more luck staying away from the dealer. Find a good honest shop to work on it and you will fare much better.

Grand Cherokee Limited 1999
By Jeep1999

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, it's a nice looking SUV. The leather seats are quite comfortable. The stereo system is great. The problem is I've had it in the shop too many times for different things. Brakes, motor in heated mirror went out, one of the speakers stopped working, etc.

Favorite Features

Heated seats; sunroof, leather seats; CD system; memory seat; climate control.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Jeep could find a way to lower the road noise. It can drive you nuts! The Japanese SUV's drive like a car. The engine also is very loud.

Great Vehicle
By Swiggie

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 3 cars right now, a 1999 BMW 325is, a 2000 Ford Taurus and a 1999 Jeep. Out of the three cars I have to say the Jeep is more reliable then any of them. I am the 3rd owner on the Jeep and 2nd on the Ford. They both had about the same mileage on them at time of purchase. I will recommend this Jeep to anyone who wants the 4x4 capability with luxury like a Cadillac.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature on this Jeep would have to be the sound system. For a factory sound system this one beats the competition.

Suggested Improvements

If I were to improve something about this Jeep I would have to say it would be to make it more aerodynamic.

Fun to Drive
By Firestorm

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have now had my Jeep for a month with no problems at all. I got this Jeep with 115000 miles and it runs and looks like new. I have heard there are problems with the 1999 Grand Cherokee but I guess by 100,000 miles all of the kinks have been worked out of this one.

Favorite Features

Offroad capabilities (came with 2 inch lift and oversized offroad tires). Sounds system very nice.

Great Vehicle
By cberm

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

My Grand Cherokee has been an awesome vehicle for the past 4 years. I purchased it used from a Jeep dealership and have had no problems. I've been very happy with this SUV.

Favorite Features

The leather interior and styling is extremely comfortable. This car has been very reliable which is important when you have children in the car.

Suggested Improvements

That should make a hybrid option on this vehicle in the future.