1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 L6
By AlaskaCommuter on 11/02/09 02:22 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used from a private owner. When I purchased the vehicle, I knew that I would need to replace a few parts but did not suspect just how many I would actually have to replace. I have since had to replace all shocks, all rotors, pads, calipers, the muffler, a steering damper, all tie rod ends, an EVAP canister, both hood supports, the rear windshield wipers motor and both headlights. I still need to replace the driver side ball joints, and something within the vacuum system. I put a K&N air filter in & high-flow muffler, with absolutely zero difference in gas mileage. Have constant minor and foreshadowing problems, that always stay true. Would not recommend buying ever.

1999 jeep Grand cherokee
By ESTANLEY1961 on 09/21/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

What can I say this is a fun SUV and has style it is at home in the city or the farm It has taken three kids to college. Pulled trailers my daughter car after she had an accident. It also got me to work which is 40 miles away in all kind of weather snow pouring rain it takes everything you throw at it and comes back for more. the only problems are normal wear and tear and minor little annoying things clock spring door lock speed sensor. I like this one so much I bought a newer model I hope I like it as much

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cylinder
By Matt on 09/01/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 1/2 years ago, just traded in with 206000 miles. Overall, I was pleased with the Jeep's performance. The inline 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter engine is indestructible. Experienced slipping with the transmission, but such problems are to be expected with high mileage vehicles.

Don't buy a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
By Scarlet on 08/02/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this car used for my son. We have replaced tie rods, cv boots, transmission, air conditioning, brakes front and back, axle shaft. Now we found out the rear axles are shot and the front needs ball joints and new cv boots. We have put a fortune in this car in 3 years thinking that after all the expense we may be able to drive it to get our moneys worth. We are now trading it in for the cash for clunkers and it makes me sick since it has all these new items and the body is in great shape. We can't put another $1800 that we were just quoted to fix it. This car had to be a lemon when designed.

JUNK
By laustin on 07/27/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted this car all my adult life. I could finally afford it and all it did was break down. Compare to my wrangler this was junk. 3 radiators. 3 water pumps, constant broken hoses...and this is with my constant care! will NOT buy again

Who would give me cash for this clunker?
By No More Jeeps for Me on 07/16/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new online in '99. Had to replace front & rear differentials shortly after warranty expired. Lost arbitration w/ shop that used wrong diff. fluid due to Jeep bulletin. Replaced condenser, evaporator, shocks (twice), rotors, pads, yada, yada, yada... Does this vehicle have a seal that doesn't leak? CD changer quit working & front passenger speaker blew long ago. Transmission shifts hard from 1st to 2nd during the winter... likely a viscosity issue as dealer can't fix w/o pulling out tranny which I won't pay for. Check engine light has been on for 2+ yrs now. Dealer won't cut wire. Got 132,000 miles with mostly new parts so hoping for 200,000 miles. Repair bills mounting...

Good enough for me
By jim on 06/06/09 23:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 02 Grand Cherokee over 2 years ago now and it's been good. Had to replace front rotors and brake pads, spark plugs, tires and oil of course. Put on over 25000 miles now and very reliable for me. A rear axle seal is bad now and something is making noise with the AWD system. Inline 6 was a great motor, now the 3.7 v-6 isn't nearly as good but that's why Chrysler went bankrupt. Love the styling, roomy and powerful, handles well in snow or off road. Headlight lenses clouded up too. Just starting to rust 10 years down the line. Go get one!

Not happy
By TrailCat on 04/14/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We owned a 1995 Grand Cherokee, V-8 for 3 or 4 years. Bought it used and drove it until it had 250,000 miles on it. It began stalling out under all conditions and NO ONE could find the answer. We then bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee with 110,000 miles, and it has been a piece of junk! Our friends have a 1999 Grand and our problems mirror each others, costing hundreds of dollars for each repair. To replace power window mechanism; $400+ each window. Tail light unit; $250+ each. Front drive shaft (new design for that year); $500+. We are done repairing! We want a different Jeep Grand, but to find the year with the least problems.

good truck
By mike on 03/19/09 11:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this suv with 75,000 miles on it and I have no regrets its been very well a few minor problems gas line leak at 120,000 mi crankcase sensor bad at 125,000 trans sensor at 115,000 it runs very well

Never Again
By Jim on 12/16/08 10:13 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep to downsize from a Chevy Suburban, not to go lower quality. Brake rotors replace within 6 months. Differentials are LOUD all the time. Heating and Air selector sometimes switches to different zones, sometimes doesn't. Three water pump replacements in 2 years. Warning light came on yesterday "Low Coolant" - so this is never going to end. The transmission hesitates from 2nd to 3rd gear, I don't even want to talk about the trouble of going to 4WD and back. I have to make sure I have a clear area before switching 4WD/2WD. However, I like the looks, I love the interior driving position and center console. The engine is still strong and torquey.