Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great suv
By mdl1989

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I would have to say that this is the best jeep ever built, I bought it a few years ago with 100,000 miles it currently have over 260,000 miles. It is in great shape minus the only problem I have come across and will complain about is the gas mileage I'm glad I did not purchase the V8 version! I cant honestly say the only thing I have ever did to it was the reg services and a thermostat which is common.Other than that a great first car, Now proudly am buying a new Jeep Liberty I hope it holds up as well as my JGC limited , truly is a great car would recommend it to anyone. I am a little weary about the location of the gas tank though. Also it goes great in the snow never been stuck in up to 3fsnow

Favorite Features

Information center, easy to read gauges

Suggested Improvements

Sound system, Leather wears fast

Awesome
By Zac

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my Black on Black Leather Limited Grand Cherokee from a co- worker who bought it new. It has 108,000 miles on its 4.7 Liter V8. The co-workers husband is a Chrysler Certified Mechanic, so I really found a Diamond in the rough since the 4.7's sometimes have major problems due to lack of oil changes. I love the Jeep. People always complain about the gas mileage, well people its a V8 Suv. Its NOT a Honda or Toyota or Hyundai. And none of those cars have what a Jeep has anyway. I would definitely recommend getting one to anyone who asks, just be warned that its not a hybrid.

Favorite Features

I love the dual climate, heated leather seats, and the 6-Disc CD. I went from a Jaguar to this Jeep and I truthfully love this more than the Jag.

Suggested Improvements

The only major issue I have with the Jeep is that a lot of things wear out. Fast. Like the leather. But just clean it and it's fine.

Great Used Vehicle
By Joshy007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 JGC from a friend (third owner in all). Just clocked 161,000 miles. Outside of maintenance items (battery, brakes, tires, shocks, fluid changes, a/c charge) the car has needed to have the steering linkage and front axles replaced for a total of $450. As for fuel economy I am not sure how others are driving but driving like a mad man I am around 17.5-18.5 mpg and reasonable driving I am getting 20-21 mpg. The drivetrain is still strong and all the little things seem to be holding up. Alloy wheels clear coat is faded & flaking. The starter is beginning to struggle a bit so that may be the next thing to get fixed. All together for about a $4,500 investment a great find

Favorite Features

Reliable, strong drivetrain, feel good about reaching 250k miles

Suggested Improvements

Suspension system is a little rough but it is a Jeep, interior is boring on the Laredo base model

Could be better, could be worse
By collin

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car, and I'm actually selling it today. All-around, it's a great car; however, the gas mileage is horrible. My girlfriend gets 30-40 mpg in her Hyundai, and I trail behind at a wimpy 13-17 mpg. Not to mention, it takes quite a sum of money to put gas into it. Air bag sensor is faulty and beeps as it pleases. I had to replace some trans. sensors (had trouble shifting to 2nd and 3rd gears); driver's side dual-climate ctrl didn't work (found out this is common in '99s). Being 10-11 years old, though, it was still a good first car. The leather seats got way too hot in the summertime.

Favorite Features

4WD, trunk capacity, seating capacity, V8 4.7 L engine, 10-disc CD changer, Infinity Gold speakers, powered sun roof

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage

Still rolling
By chucksizzle

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new 1n 1999, all options available including 4.7 ltr v-8, have driven it all over. I have about 160,000 miles now, most miles in cold weather climate., am now in south, ac just went out, not compressor but a couple smaller parts., been repaired along with vent door problem, had 100,000 mile warranty, so all minor problems were taken care of by dealer then. Still a daily driver. My 4th Jeep.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive in the snow and ice

Suggested Improvements

more interior space for driver