Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Grand Cherokee fun to drive
By daveloveshisjeep

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a very good experience with my Jeep. I was a little concern about buying a redesigned model in 1999. But I bought it at the end of the model run, and they must have ironed out the kinks because I have had no problems with mine. Very reliable, fun to drive, great acceleration.

Favorite Features

Hieght, ground clearance, no worries about pot holes, lot of cargo space, great acceleration, tows like nothing is attached.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. But that is true about all SUV's.

BUY A HONDA INSTEAD !!!!!!!!!!!
By franco66

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I am trying to think of something good to say about our Jeep, wait "I have it," it's for sale in the newspaper. Entire front wheel bearing assembly replaced at 60K. Water pump at 65K. Air signed off at 60K. The interior room in this car is a joke for such a heavy car. Quality throughout is a nightmare. Windows quit working. Hood lifts replace every 40K. Used the 4WD one time in snow and developed oil leak in transfer case 1 week later. I could go on but I know you get the message. Any car out there is going to give you better service than this Chrysler made piece of JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Looks good, but what did your mother tell you?

Suggested Improvements

Sell Jeep-Chrysler to Honda Motor Corporation. Scrap entire model and start over.

Great vehicle
By normanviking

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used. For $16,000. It had 70,000 miles on it. The only thing I did was replace the cv boots. Everything else is great.

Favorite Features

I love everything. It rides and handles very well. Great power. Average 18 mpg. I love the dual infrared climate control. My wife likes it freezing and I don't.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

Regret
By Sil_Virginia

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

When you see the Jeep service manager more often than many members of your family, something is wrong. Power window motor broke twice, brake rotors warped three times, radiator fan broken, etc.

Favorite Features

Extended warranty (thank goodness!)

Suggested Improvements

quality

No Problems Yet
By Jeepswanted

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my pre-owned 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 55k miles. I read all of the bad reviews before buying. (i.e. Brakes, Transmission, ext.) My dealer threw in a 3 yr - 36K bumper to bumper warrenty. Havn't had to use it as of yet. A lite rattle in the transmission, that does not affect shifting is the only concern. Engine performance is excellant. Gas milage was a concern before buying. I've averaged between 17.5 to 21.5 per tank. About 360 miles per tank. I'm happy with the vehicle so far..

Favorite Features

V-8 performance, exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Design a heavy duty transmission to compliment the engine.