Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Still lovin' it
By PHRC

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my JGC used, and to be honest it wasnt my first choice (i wanted a pathfinder). Very happy i ended up with it though. Its more comfortable, had all the features i wanted, and the 4wd on it will kick anyones butt. Even my dad's landrover! I have driven it through 4 feet of snow with no slipping. 7,000 miles after buying it the front differential broke, but i blame that on carmax for not checking the fluid, not Jeep. Since then my passenger side window stoped working, but my warranty covered that too.

Best 4WD you can get, QUADRADRIVE! Comfy interior. Spare tire under trunk floor. Flat folding second row seats. Stereo controls on steering wheel. Auto dimming mirrors. Automatic headlamps. Great handling. Fast acceleration. Never have been stuck in any condition.

Better standard tires. Whinning noise when making u-turns. Brakes always creak (but work great!) Wider range of tilt adjustablity on front passenger seat, my passengers say they always feel like they are slipping out of the seat. Maybe a rear window that rolls down would be nice.

Great Vehicle
By great outdoors

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

A few minor problems in the beginning. But dealership handled it and haven't had any problems since. Never had a single brake problem like everyone else talks about. As a matter of fact i have only put one set of front brakes on in 88000 miles and no rear brakes yet. Handling is key in this vehicle, i would put it up against any other suv on the market for cornering, and believe me i have driven nearly everything out there in its price range.

V8 engine rocks. Stereo system is great too.

no complaints here!!!

Great vehicle, but high maintenance
By Lovemyjeep-o

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I special ordered this SUV in 1999. It is so comfortable and wonderful to drive. Fortunately, however, I purchased an extended warranty in 2002. There have been air conditioning problems. The starter went out at 42,000 miles. Occasionally, there is a strange noise from the right rear when cornering. There have been other minor problems. The rear end replacement issue was brought up with my Jeep. The dealer had replaced some others but apparently had done so unnecessarily. Bottom line: yes it is worth the aggravation and yes I would buy it again.

Comfortable seats. Incredible traction and handling on slippery roads.

Fix the air conditioning problems.

Not what I expected
By jrn-cherokee

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Jeep last January. After owning the Jeep for 11 months I am in the process of looking for another Ford. Wheel bearings are gone, howling from either a idler pulley or alternator ($250 for a rebuilt), transmission slipping terribly when it get below 40 degrees F, fogging headlight, leaking tailgate at both the window and gate seal, squeaks and rattles. I have 91K on it now and purchased it with 71K. I have no faith in this vehicle. If you are considering one, get rid of it before 100K. Friend that works for Chrysler said allmost all Jeep Grands need a tranny rebuild then. Wish I had known, my first and last Damlier Chrysler vehicle.

Comfy power seats, very good Infinity sound system, great looking vehicle

Handles like a full size, for pete's sake can't Chrysler group make a transmission yet, better integrity, fix the drifting cruise control, better gas mileage (16 on highway, yuk)

Used 1999 Limited Grand
By Phil Ferguson 100

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Great value SUV. Brought it used in 03,a local lady had owned it. Perfect condition and paid 2/5 of original cost, with 60k mileage. A bit boxy, stiff ride, some drive train noise comes through in the 1999 edition. Great in the Wyoming winters, outdoors, off-road. Nice highway use, but still an SUV in terms of a highway feel. We put Waag grill/tail light guards on it and it looks tough. Great package for the money!

Controls and trim inside.

Provide an option for less stiffer ride and reduce the drive train noise, which I believe they did for the 2000+ versions.