1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Jeep = Worst Junk Car
By Charlie H on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

It is such a junk car!!! Since I bought it, I have kept getting back to dealer for repairing, radio noise,gas tank leak,window noise, power window not working,power seat not moving, door can not be unlocked, engine check light on, so on........If any one wants a reliable car, never look at the Jeep!!!! Take the lesson from me! But you like the fancy functions and don't care to visit Jeep car dealer for fixing "small problems" once a month, go ahead for it.

Good looking jeep, Exc. design & perform
By bas on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Exc. design & performance

Still having fun!!!!!
By christopher harvengt on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

over 50k the only thing that was replace was brakes. Very smooth car like rided even off road which we do alot of.it climbs the rocks like a goat!

Terrible Reliability
By Austin, TX on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I take emaculate care of my vehicles. Regular oil changes, service inspections, etc. The vehicle is used on-road between work and home. Here are the problems 1 Window Motors 2. Fuel Pump 3. Air Conditioner 4. Transmission Slipage 5. Radiator Problems 6. Numerous Recalls It's nice they fixed most under warranty, but who wants to deal with issue after issue? The pain of dropping it off and picking it up. I just traded my Jeep (40000miles) for a Toyota Sequoia and don't regret the decision at all. Bottom line, purchasing this vehicle is a risk. Do you think you'll be lucky?

Jeep = Junk
By Brian A on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage (V-8) with the exception of highway cruise (about 20 mpg) is horrid, about 13.5 mpg. The front brakes suck, have been replaced 3 times in the first 27k miles. The rest of the vehicle has faired only a bit better. Stalling, transfer case binding, drivers seat loose (was told that is normal) are current issues at 31K miles. Love to drive it, it tows a trailer very well even in high crosswinds, and it is very capable off- road. My lease ends soon, glad I don't own it.

This Jeep is a terrible vehicle
By reedl on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

When we purchased the vehicle, we expected the reliability that is sort of associated with Jeeps. What we got instead is the garbage associated with Chrysler. In 51000 miles, we have gone through 4 sets of rotors, three sets of brake pads, 2 seat heaters, a rear differential rebuild, and a whole laundry list of minor items that have broken (power mirrors, power seats, covers on seat belts, etc..) The dealer knows about the brake problems, Chrysler will not admit there is a problem. I am glad we did not purchase the Quadra-Drive which had even more problems in this year also. Basically I cannot in good conscience recommend this vehicle to anybody.

EXCELLENT
By VALJOE on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXTREMELY RELIABLE TRACTION IS SUPERIOR COMFORT SUPERIOR SOUND SYSTEM - INFINITY GOLD IS SUPERB 10 CD HOLDER HAS WORKED SUPERBLY I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS SUV TO FRIENDS. I LOOK FORWARD TO OWNING THIS VEHICLE FOR 10 YEARS. VEHICLE IS SERVICED LOCALLY BY WARNOCK IN EAST HANOVER, NEW JERSEY.

1999 Grand Cherokee is OK
By mike c on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo used when it was 6 months old with 17,000 miles. Other than replacement of a leaky right headlight assembly, and upgrade of front brake pads and rotors, this vehicle has been very good and completely reliable. It has negotiated very steep inclines in excess of 45 degrees; it is comfortable on and off road; it pulls a 4500 lb. trailer with no problems. I would trust this vehicle to go anywhere. The gas mileage is 18 mpg/city. As a suggestion, purchase an extended warranty from warranty direct (7-year, 100,000 mile plan for $1,350), just in case I trashed the transfer case. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Jeeps are Junk
By CS on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Too many problems, in six times for warranty work...as soon as out of warranty, transmission problems. Power window problems, sensor problems, tires wore out very fast..this car will not last to 100K miles. Will never buy another Daimler-Chrysler product in this lifetime.

The Most INCAPABLE Sport Utility ever
By Edgar Gonesh on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Unless you have money and time to waste I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Besides numerous recalls this vehicle (or at least mine)is plagued with tons of failures ranging from window mechanism failures to complete engine failures. If you are in the market for an SUV go look somewhere else.