Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

`99 Grand 4X4 Great Truck
By clarkecars

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep pulls a 23 ft salt water fishing boat to the gulf and east coast twice a year. It has always performed extremely well. Plenty of torgue for towing and very reliable. The GoodYear Wranglers that came on it sucked and even w/rotation wore out at 32000 miles (or so). I'll buy another Jeep when ready. This is Jeep number 5. My first was a 4.0 litre Comanche pickup, then two Cherokee 4X4s and two Grands. You can have your wanna be Japanese SUVs I'll take the one I rely on for power at a reasonable price - Jeep!

Favorite Features

Great towing ability. The 4.0 litre in line six was just fine, but this Mercedes built 4.7 is incredible. 300lbs of torgue.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the Goodyear Wranglers and improve rear seat comfort.

My 1999 Jeep grand Cherokee's story
By JJJ

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this Jeep as a tow vehicle for a 20' runabout. I can't complain because there has been no problems in the last 10,000 mile. From all the reviews I've read,it seem these jeeps are either a hit or a failure with nothing in the middle. Perhaps Chrysler should take note and increase quality control or extend warrenties to 10 years.

Favorite Features

My came with the V8 and all wheel drive. Its quick and has fairly good handling for a truck. We had an early snow storm this year and it posed no problems for this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage is poor. At 55mph for 200 miles I got 18 mpg. On average it gets 14.5 to 15.5 mpg. I also wish the front seats would go down further to accomidate taller drivers.

Too Bad
By Bill Nolan

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Baught this vehicle because of the looks and comfort it is certainly in my opinion the best looking SUV on the market and, the comfort is luxurious to say the least.However,Mechanicly it is a nightmare.I just had the replace the whole rear-end at a cost of $1500.00 The rear window leaks,There is a whine in the tranny.As much as I love this vehicle its just to much of a risk for otheres to buy one.If you do, I hope you keep a mechanic withn you at all times.BTW,It had 69000 on it when I baught it.

Favorite Features

Looks,Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should do something about there Q&A department.

lemon of a dealer, lemon of a jeep
By atlmberry

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

Plan on heavy expenses for maintenance (nothing was covered under the gold extended jeep warranty). before 45k miles, I replaced the AC system, brakes, battery (twice), various electrical components, power window modules, memory seat module, stereo speakers, stereo controls on steering wheel, etc. Everytime I started the vehicle, the seat would propel me into the dash - jeep couldn't find the problem, not to mention the calls for a tow truck because it wouldn't start - so I got the opportunity to spend lots of time and money in the shop. Lots of road noise with this vehicle. It may look good from the outside, but it's not worth the headaches.

Favorite Features

exterior looks, reasonable gas mileage on the 6 cyl, nice looking interior.

Suggested Improvements

negligible back seat room, VERY POOR reliability in electronics, AC, and mechanical

Exellent SUV
By Ryan62

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I own a 99 JGL with select trac 4wd, 98k miles and have had only 2 issues with it. (1) The water pump went out after a grueling 4x4 expediton. Mud, water forging, steep inclines, and rock hopping. (2) The transfer case had a slight leak. Other than these minor diffculties the Jeep has ran great. It does have the 'clunk' when shifting to reverse, but thats the nature of a good transmission. It also has the hard shift between 2 and 3rd, but I speculate the factory told the computers to shift at a bad time; it only happens when I take some time to get up to speed, not when I floor it when the stop light becomes green.

Favorite Features

Hell, in 2wd it's great offroad. It climbs like a bulldozer in 4 low. The suspension is great for the offroad, it gives good flex when rolling over large objects. This IS as close as you can get to a stock vehicle ment for the offroad, even better than the H2 in most areas.

Suggested Improvements

A few complaints about the rear bumper and spare tire compartment. (1) On hot days the spare tire compartment seems to get rather wet, a few inches of water manages to build up inside of it. Not good. (2) Rear Bumper, bad design, mud gets all up inside of it.