1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews 23

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Poor Quality throughout the vehicle
By FormerJeepOwner on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am telling myself NEVER, NEVER again buy a Jeep vehicle. Over $4,000 in repair costs in just over 2 years. Leaks in hoses, blown water pumps, power windows completely failed & had to replace, many electrical & mechanical malfunctions & defects, defective sensors, major transmission & engine problems....etc. Don't forget to consider the extremely poor resale values due to Jeep's reputation for poor quality & reliability. I've concluded it would have been more inexpensive to have bought a BMW or Mercedes sports car than the Jeep...at least those have high resale values.

JeepSuck
By Jeepsux on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

The Jeep left me stranded three times in three years. Electrical problems abound. The transmission was clunky and skipped, and the dealer couldn't repair it. The sunroof often failed to close or open; getting stuck in whichever position it was in. The air conditioning system was unable to cool the vehicle in Atlanta Summer weather. Customer Service is virtually non- existent. Don't recommend Jeep.

Not a bad SUV
By David S on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep used a year ago, It had 23000 miles on it and now has 40000. I have had no major problems, some minor ones, but none of the brake problems that you hear of. I have the original tires on that need to be replaced. Gas milage is ok for a SUV 20 on the hwy and 14 in the city. I would buy another one

My 1999 Grand Cherokee.
By Migue1 on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I encountered several electrical problems with my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The driver's/passenger's windows got stuck several times and I had to visit the dealership on numerous occasions to have this problem corrected. Also had a problem with the front brakes (disk) getting bent even though the car had less than 20,000 miles and was driven carefully. The AC (evaporator) also went bad and had to be replaced . A lot of my friends have had similar experiences with their Grand Cherokee's as well. Car also had several recalls (three) during the last three years, and due to the above mentioned problems I will not purchase/lease a Grand Cherokee again..

Bad brakes
By mas on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Expect that every 12,000 miles you will have to replace the rotors. And our dealer even told us that Chrysler was of no help. Now, at 36 K , shocks need to be replaced. 99.99 % suburban driving !! Never again.

Not So Grand Cherokee
By blauten on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I too have had trips to the dealership to repair/replace brakes (twice), transfer case lead twice and still leaking, rear shocks, front stabilizer bar(twice). Now scheduled to take it in for a 3rd time for brakes and only has 30,400 miles on the vehicle. Since it is out of the 3yr. warranty, the kind man on the other end of the toll free Chyrsler phone said they would replace brakes, rotors, and calipers for $50 cost to me. I feel they pretty much destroyed the Jeep name. Wished I would have leased instead of purchasing it in 99. Never Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Brake rotors
By Stan C on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought this car used with 51000 miles on it. Its is a great car but all the brake rotors where warped and I replaced all of them. The brake pada where ok and where reused, The milage seem to be in the 16 to 20 MPG range depending on the driving. It has the 4,7 ci in engin with Quadrtrack.

1999Jeeep Grand Cherokee
By Darc on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I've really enjoyed my Jeep so far. It has great towing capabilities for towing that boat or camper around.

On the verge
By one_putt on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the way this car drives. It is the best hadling SUV out there and with the power that the v8 rovides it is fast and nimble. But,,,, The brakes were replaced at 20k the tranfer case is leaking and the back windoe leaks water. Asside from this it is a great car. I am gald I have leased it though for I dont trust that this car will last.

Drives well, but....
By SusanX on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1988 Cherokee Pioneer and loved that car. However, I have been disappointed in this Jeep. The power windows have each had to be repaired at least twice. The weatherstripping keeps falling off and although I have had it in twice for the rear window weatherstripping, it still leaks. I've also had to take it in for at least four recalls in the last three years. It also has blind spots due to the thick window supports -- I've nearly gotten into two accidents because I haven't seen cars coming toward me on a curve. Would I buy another Jeep? Not on your life.