1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
No problems yet
By alexander0048 on 06/21/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

second owner of my 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo straight six motor has been replaced and runs great 257,000 miles and only minor issues so far love my jeep.

wish i was as lucky as you folks...
By zswindle on 12/07/11 15:42 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I've had my 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo v6 for about three years. so far i've had to put in a new motor new transmission two new batteries and now my driver door won't open from the outside. Here lately i haven't been too happy with the car seeing how it only has 164000. still trying to figure out how to fix the door issue. if anyone has any advice id appreciate it.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cylinder
By Matt on 09/01/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 1/2 years ago, just traded in with 206000 miles. Overall, I was pleased with the Jeep's performance. The inline 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter engine is indestructible. Experienced slipping with the transmission, but such problems are to be expected with high mileage vehicles.

Going on 9 years and still kicking
By RAM on 09/28/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I brought my Jeep with 111 miles. In the beginning I had some break issues and some repairs where I found out later the dealership was ripping me off. I did a lot of travel with this jeep and I received I thought excellent mileage. I've been able to travel a max of 4.5 hrs on one tank of gas and I like to speed. AC is still kicking, but driver seat needs to be reupholstered. Other than that not a bad deal considering I've been able to keep it this long and its still pretty when cleaned.

Only In A Jeep!
By Amz on 09/07/07 11:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have bought my Jeep and love it. So far I put on 155K and not once did i have any mechanical problems. Outside of thermostat, and a drivers side window motor the car has been driving perfect and the only maintenance I preformed so far, was oil changes and breaks. Oh, the serpentine belt was changed too, but only because annoying kids from Jiffy Lube insisted on it. Love my Jeep! My only concern now is the fact hat I have to make up my mind what to get next!

Could be worse...
By Jolly James on 09/08/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

My wife and I have owned four other Jeeps prior to this one, all of which we were very pleased with. We bought this one and also bought the extended warranty. We have many mechanical problems with this one that we didn't have with the others including new transmission, fuel pump & regulator, axle bearings, taillight assemblies shorting out, warped rotors, calipers that stick, and wind noise. Fortunately, everything has been covered under the warranty. Overall, it has a rock-solid motor, good styling & good value. I am not unhappy with the car, but I would be if we didn't have the warranty. Our warranty runs out in two more years, and we will probably sell it just before that.

Not a Jeep fan!
By carolina girl on 07/17/05 23:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased my Jeep new in 1999 with 50 miles. I now have 133,000 miles. I had a new transmission replaced the first month i owned it in 1999. I have also replaced the brakes front and back numerous times (recalled in 1999) including front calipers this year. I have fixed the rear suspension differential twice. The water pump in 2004. My key doesn't open the driver door and hasn't in 4 years so I have to use the keyless remote. The drivers side seat is broken. In spite of all the money and repairs made my Jeep still rides just like it's brand new. I have kept it serviced well over the years but I just don't think this vehicle is made to last. This will be my last Chrysler Jeep vehicle.

I HAVE BEEN SICK OF THIS THING!
By smaillie on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Nothing but TROUBLE since day one! In our 4th set of rotors. Fuel pump replaced a couple of times. New radiator this year. Spent over $3k in repairs in '03 and over $1k so far in '04. At 100k miles, things started falling apart with this piece of junk. Rear end overhauled and left rear bearing replaced 3 times. Constant wind noise on right side from 2nd month-vibrating weather stripping- "Can't replicate" says Mr. Dealer- can't fix what they can't hear!......

very solid
By disciple on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have owned this Jeep (2WD GC Laredo) since it was new. Had a few issues - replaced fuel pump seal twice (once under warranty), replaced oxygen sensor. Fun to drive. Has 84k miles now, still solid. Has almost always had a "double-clutch" feel up-shifting from 2nd to 3rd under load, but never gotten worse. I am very pleased with my Jeep.

Jeep Cherokee Larado
By sclogan on 11/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

We are very happy with our Jeep. It is the best vehicle we have ever owned outside of our Nissan Maxima. We love the Jeep equally for its quality and beauty.