1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Loved it
By seattlegirrlie on 09/18/14 13:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I was reading other reviews laughing and had to add my own. I LOVED my V8 Limited and wouldn't have given her up for anything. She's a five star ride, handles like a dream, parks great in the city, goes absolutely anywhere off road, handles snow, ice, mud, fallen trees, and flooding with ease. All the gremlins everyone else had, I had too. Seat motor died, window motor died, had to fix the AC, and the rear tail lights never quite worked no matter what you did. All those little mechanical/electrical issues didn't matter. I bought her at 120K and passed 200K before a drunk driver took her out.

All around perfect vehicle!
By 4x4thewin on 04/27/14 01:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After such bad luck and poor choice in vehicle purchases I feel like I finally found a gem! Purchased my 1999 JGC from a relative, me being the 2nd owner and it just rolled over 175k miles. Lucky for me it came from the south, as I live outside of Detroit and our roads and weather eat cars up. I love everything about my Jeep, it rides like a truck, but feels smooth like a luxury car. It's had overall minor replacements done, all routine work. Planning on replacing the motor in the next 6 months, as the rod bearings are just starting to act up. Other than that and some foggy head lamps, its in stellar shape. My next vehicle purchase will definitely be another Jeep!

*** TRICK FOR YOUR electrical problems and cooling system.
By buckeye2014 on 02/28/14 17:55 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Jeep in 2013 it has only caused me two decent problems. One being the cooling system after replacing the hoses, radiator, thermostat and the thermostat housing unit, temp sensors and relays and the cooling fan I still had problems with overheating, it was then I realized my fan was not kicking on at all with no return on electrical parts I was out of money. The 99 is also the year that they made different types of cooling fans and the assembly to switch out cooling fans from mechanical to electric. Instead of paying hundreds to fix an electric problem I simply went to a junk yard and pulled a mechanical fan from a 98 jeep and swapped mine out. it cost me 40 bucks.

Unstoppable
By smckay on 07/24/13 08:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (6 cyl.) in 2011 with 162,000 miles on it to use as a work truck. I'm a construction contractor and used this truck accordingly. For the price I've paid it is the BEST money ever spent. I've been told that the in line 6 cylinder engine is the only way to go in that it will last for 300,000 miles. It is now at 200,000+ and runs great. There is some slipping in the transmission into 3rd gear but it stops when the engine is warm. I plan on driving it till it goes and will replace with another. It is a great beat around truck for me and I love this vehicle and will likely by a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the latest body style etc...

No problems yet
By alexander0048 on 06/21/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

second owner of my 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo straight six motor has been replaced and runs great 257,000 miles and only minor issues so far love my jeep.

Worst car I've ever owned!
By eots44 on 06/07/13 15:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine new and five years later the engine blew up and after a new engine the transmission went. It was beyond repair and now just sits in my driveway rotting away. It is also extremely uncomfortable, I didn't want it to begin with but I was suckered into it. Never will I buy another Jeep product in my life, they are so unreliable and are listed for the worst quality amung cars. Replaced it with a 2004 Cadillac Cts, also bought new, and now nine years later and about 185,000 miles no problems and still rides like new. I knew I should have just stuck with General Motors.

Great Investment!
By cdubya87 on 01/21/13 16:05 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this car used in 1999 - had about 127,000 miles on it. I've got 175,000 now and I'm making the first major repair. Replaced the radiator last year, it was cheap and easy - this year it needs a new motor. Outside of that, I'm a storm chaser and have had this poor Jeep at 100+mph on dirt back roads in heavy rains and hail and it is the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned. I also have family through the state and have traveled frequently - great gas mileage, both city and highway and the comfort of this car is amazing. It's flexibility is great too - having added a laptop and some other components for my storm chasing. Just a great great car and I'll buy another and another!

Lovin It
By chuckwildman on 05/01/12 18:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought mine a year ago with 85,000 miles and put on about 20,000 since then. Replaced brakes all the way around including calipers. Replaced front drive shaft to resolve "clunking" noise. Was able to use part from salvage yard. Replaced CD changer also with part from salvage yard. Has 4.7 V8 and it is very strong. Its been off-road a few times and this Jeep is very capable compared to other stock 4x4 with Quadra-Drive II awd system.

Great Vehicle
By astrak1001 on 12/10/11 06:26 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Jeep GC LMTD V8 since 2003. I purchased the vehicle with 79,000 miles and am now turning 200,000 miles with only limited repairs. I have had to replace the transmission once, the alternator once and the power window motor on the front passenger side once. All of these repairs were performed at around 150,000 miles. My Jeep has been all around the country and most recently from AZ to NE and has never broken down. I have had the brake problems, but this was remedied by a competent mechanic in Mesa AZ. Overall I would say this is one of the most reliable, toughest vehicles I have ever owned. I would definitely purchase another one.

wish i was as lucky as you folks...
By zswindle on 12/07/11 15:42 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I've had my 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo v6 for about three years. so far i've had to put in a new motor new transmission two new batteries and now my driver door won't open from the outside. Here lately i haven't been too happy with the car seeing how it only has 164000. still trying to figure out how to fix the door issue. if anyone has any advice id appreciate it.