Used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Loved it
By seattlegirrlie

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I was reading other reviews laughing and had to add my own. I LOVED my V8 Limited and wouldn't have given her up for anything. She's a five star ride, handles like a dream, parks great in the city, goes absolutely anywhere off road, handles snow, ice, mud, fallen trees, and flooding with ease. All the gremlins everyone else had, I had too. Seat motor died, window motor died, had to fix the AC, and the rear tail lights never quite worked no matter what you did. All those little mechanical/electrical issues didn't matter. I bought her at 120K and passed 200K before a drunk driver took her out.

Favorite Features

4.7L V8 engine (which Edmonds is not giving me an option to choose for the model)

All around perfect vehicle!
By 4x4thewin

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After such bad luck and poor choice in vehicle purchases I feel like I finally found a gem! Purchased my 1999 JGC from a relative, me being the 2nd owner and it just rolled over 175k miles. Lucky for me it came from the south, as I live outside of Detroit and our roads and weather eat cars up. I love everything about my Jeep, it rides like a truck, but feels smooth like a luxury car. It's had overall minor replacements done, all routine work. Planning on replacing the motor in the next 6 months, as the rod bearings are just starting to act up. Other than that and some foggy head lamps, its in stellar shape. My next vehicle purchase will definitely be another Jeep!

Favorite Features

Spacious back cargo space, comfortable back seating. Fuel mileage read-out, average mpg read-out, full spare tire stored in back. Turns on a dime, and is dependable in any weather.

Suggested Improvements

None, each new Grand Cherokee model looks sophisticated, yet rugged.

*** TRICK FOR YOUR electrical problems and cooling system.
By buckeye2014

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Jeep in 2013 it has only caused me two decent problems. One being the cooling system after replacing the hoses, radiator, thermostat and the thermostat housing unit, temp sensors and relays and the cooling fan I still had problems with overheating, it was then I realized my fan was not kicking on at all with no return on electrical parts I was out of money. The 99 is also the year that they made different types of cooling fans and the assembly to switch out cooling fans from mechanical to electric. Instead of paying hundreds to fix an electric problem I simply went to a junk yard and pulled a mechanical fan from a 98 jeep and swapped mine out. it cost me 40 bucks.

Favorite Features

The power it has

Suggested Improvements

I totally took a detour around the electrical problem since it was the just cooling fan that was faulty and ignored it and replaced it with a mechanical fan that attaches to your water pump guaranteed not to overheat if your overheating due to the cooling fan not working. Some people like to get a toggle switch to rig up to the inside that you manually have to start and stop. which can look tacky having wires running through your steering compound. And if you forget your going to overheat again.

Unstoppable
By smckay

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (6 cyl.) in 2011 with 162,000 miles on it to use as a work truck. I'm a construction contractor and used this truck accordingly. For the price I've paid it is the BEST money ever spent. I've been told that the in line 6 cylinder engine is the only way to go in that it will last for 300,000 miles. It is now at 200,000+ and runs great. There is some slipping in the transmission into 3rd gear but it stops when the engine is warm. I plan on driving it till it goes and will replace with another. It is a great beat around truck for me and I love this vehicle and will likely by a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the latest body style etc...

Favorite Features

Suspension, driving comfort, steering, overall interior and exterior design

No problems yet
By alexander0048

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

second owner of my 1999 jeep grand cherokee laredo straight six motor has been replaced and runs great 257,000 miles and only minor issues so far love my jeep.