Laredo-My Reliable Friend
By VJohns on
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD
I was told that the first year of owning a Jeep can be a real pain in the "you know what," and I believe it! Brakes, alignment, a new computer and an annoying noise associate with the pinion angle when traveling at 60mph all plagued the vehicle (and me) during the first year. After that, basic maintenance and that is all. A new battery was needed at year 6; in the last year the power door locks have given up working and the transmission is beginning to slip. I think it was developing the transmission problem years ago, but while under warranty I was told that it was "normal play" - even though it made a wonderful "kerchunk" sound when put in reverse :^> Headlights getting "milky"/dim.
Favorite Features
Room enough for the dogs, passengers and the SCUBA gear. Compared to other more truck like SUVs, the ride is luxurious, yet it will take you where ever you want to go. Love the trip computer in the overhead console too. Has had problems, but I love it and can't believe I'm getting ready to sell.
Suggested Improvements
Driver leg room (could use more), ease of entry to the back seat for passengers, gas mileage (15-23 avg), transmission reliability (wish they'd keep the in-line 6 engine), electrical reliability. Don't bother with running boards, can't get your big toe in them, they serve as dirt catchers only.