1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Best vehicle I have ever owned
By Enegma1 on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle for its style and functionality. I am a Photographer and Videographer. I needed a vehicle where I can carry my equipment without tearing up the interior of my vehicle. This vehicle has never been to dealership for any major repair other factory recalls. Easy to work on myself. I do my own oil changes,change belts, hoses,brakes,shocks,and tuneups. It has been very reliable and joy to drive. I can go pretty much wherever a 4 wheel drive vehicle can go. I travel to great Northwest up to Canada and back. I would never buy anything else but another Jeep.There is no equal

Love the 59'r
By D-Roq on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Nothing slams you back in your seat like the torque of this jeep!! Performance and comfort make this a dream to drive. Fulltime four wheel drive provides great on/off road traction. This jeep will blow by anything but the gas station! Overall it's a goodtime but good ole american build quality will come back to haunt you. New rear end, steering box and sway bar bushings have been replaced in the past 6 months due to "standard 80,000 mile wear and tear." My verdict, amazing vehicle so long as you buy a good extended warranty and don't mind filling up once a week.

I love my Jeep
By Jeepman73CJ on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I will never drive or own another type of vehicle. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the 5.2L V-8, and Quadra- Trac. I drive it hard both on and off- road, and it has never given me any problems. The Quadra-Trac fulltime 4wd system claws to snowy and icey roads like a wounded animal, and I highly reccomend it for people who live in that type of climate. Off-road is where this Jeep really shines, I have been places in this Jeep that I never thought it could or should be able to go, and even after an unmerciful flogging on the trail, the Jeep ready for more. Like I said before, I will never drive anything other than a Jeep.

Unreliable
By jarmhand on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

We hit lots and lots of problems nearibg 100k. Had to replace alternator, radiator, faulty wiring, brakes and then the big one...transmission. Mechanic said he would go out of business if it wasn't for Chrysler transmissions. Think again if you're looking for a used SUV.

Good Buy
By DG and JM on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The only problem I have had is the AC, which was killed due to Florida heat. The seats are soft and the interior design is done well. The 4x4 works great. I bought it new and plan to buy another Jeep.

Best Vehicle I Ever Bought
By murph on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV was a gem. Not a single problem until 100,000 miles and that was only minor. Very capable off-road performance as well.

Back yard plant holder!
By 7774u on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had other Jeeps out there and this one is the first one that ever fell apart so fast out of the three. Unlike other Jeeps I had I don't trust the 4by system in this Jeep. It came with a Select Trac that does get me stuck at times unless you like to creep in low! The ABS light comes one with long trips resulting in a loss of power brakes and steering! It does have it's up and downs and right now it's and an all time low. I would probally have gave this Jeep a better rating if I had bought it brand new. I bought it 4 yrs old w/ 100k! I will say this truck has tried to hold up with me. I've put 25k in 9 months until it died!

Dave's review
By dbash on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

A fun vehicle to drive. Can go anywhere. I have over 130,000 miles on this one. With only routine maintenance expense

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
By JStu on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Car has run strong all the way up to it's current 98,000 miles, even with aftermarket performance parts whose added power puts more strain on the drivetrain. Car has also been off- roaded a couple times and has had no repurcussions as result. Brakes seem underpowered and no improvement kits are offered in the aftermarket. Only major problems have been that the rear- axle had a serious malfunction at 70,000 miles and had to be replaced. Also, the seat warmers broke after just four years of sparse use. All said a well made and reliable vehicle.

I love my Jeep!
By litgrl on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I was a little leary of buying a used car, but I have had nothing but great experiences with my Jeep Cherokee. I love the way it handles on the road, the space my family has when traveling, and the extras it has. The only downs I have experienced are not great gas mileage, and it is a little too boxy for me (making it hard to dry when hand- washing it). Other than that, I love this vehicle!