Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Its problems have problems
By Don Jeans

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this car for 4 years now. Bought it with 155k on it. First off, the car is a beast. Fast and really thirsty. Would probably beat most going from 20-50 mph. I test drove a BMW M3 this past weekend and honestly the Jeep has more torque. For better performance I sometimes kill the OD switch which bumps up the RPMs. The car is also a beast in the snow. It's almost impossible to get it stuck in anything. That said, Jeep really dropped the ball on its construction. The rear differential is the same as the base model 6 Grand Cherokee and can't handle the torque. The rear end makes this disgusting popping noise off the line and sounds like its about to fall off. All 5.9s have this problem.

Deceptively fast. Seats are comfy. Great sound system too.

Tires scrape at parking lot speeds in tight turns as a result of AWD. Also, the rear end of this thing is ATROCIOUS. If you buy one used, know that it will go at some point. I'm surprised Jeep never recalled this. Probably because it costs over $1k to fix.

this is a tough vehicle
By mr mgoo

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the 2nd owner. Overall a good vehicle. The only major issue has been front and rear axle bearings; also ABS is touchy. The performance of the Jeep has more than made up for its mechanical shortcomings. This thing is a beast in the mud and snow. I've taken it into some very sticky situations and it has never let me down. Also, it was rear-ended by a 2001 Jimmy. It came out with relatively minor damage, while the Jimmy was trashed. I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a vehicle that will stand up to its reputation: a bit quirky mechanically, but great off road.

Spare in cargo area takes up valuable space.

Jeep
By Nick

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jjeep - as a college student I need a reliable car with lots of space to move my stuff up and back. This gives me all of that with a nice interior and all the features I could want.

I love the way it handles, and the cd player is nice to have.

On occasion it feels and rides a bit like a truck, much better than the Jeep Cherokee - but could still use some tuning.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 5.9L
By NORMA

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used, have done only standard maintenance. Get 21 mpg on freeway, have hauled passengers, 5 large dogs (over 85#), and furniture. Gone 4 wheeling on purpose and not, without problems.

Look, comfort (for a 4-wheel drive), versatility.

Great SUV - (In it's time)
By Kirk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I have to admit I love this truck. It's very, very quick (especially with a few cheap bolt-ons), rides decent, and has more off-road ability than 99% of the drivers would ever need. My main complaint: build quality and reliability. My poor Jeep has spent more time in the shop than I care to add up. I would have gladly paid a couple more thousand for it if Jeep had put a little more effort into quality control.

Torque monster, off-road ability, exterior design.

Build quality needs to improve drastically.

• SUV