1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Not bad for a Jeep
By DonWillis on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Other than the fact that it's a pure gas hog, I love this vehicle. I average about 13 or 14 mpg in the city and about 18 or 19 mpg on the highway. There's plenty of storage, which is nice, and the factory stereo system was so good that I kept it. That's a first for me. Usually, the first thing I do is yank out the factory stereo and pop in a high-powered sound machine. It's also very fun to drive. As far as comfort though, it's not the best car. It's a little cramped for me, plus the steering wheel is a little hard to turn. Other than that, it's fine.

Great Jeep
By Jeep fan on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I Just purchased My 98 however I did have to rebuild the tranny, the previous owner neglected the tranny fluid and fried everything However since then I Love it no problems as of yet dont expect any.

ConsumerReportsWasRight
By discustedwjeep on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I wish I had read Consumer Reports Before I bought my 98 Jeep...it's a troublesome vehicle...in the shop more than out. I bought it new, and within the first year I had replaced the sunroof, differencial, and brakes. Since then it's cost an average of $800 per year in maintenance "above" fair wear and tear to keep in on the road. I (and the Jeep dealer) can't get it to hold a tune-up, and therefore won't run right (cylinder misfiring issues every year) and needs air conditioning maintanence (not servicing) annually. MY ADVICE - DON'T BUY ONE!

a big fat brick
By JustEmtyEverPocket on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

deffinatly the best 4x4 there is, have done immensly stupid stunts and have gone without a stratch or dent or any damage. But buying it, i didnt know the axels where F'd up so after the dealer wanting $2700 to fix, and not releasing the vehicle to me over a huge mess, i finaly got it down to my REAL mechanic and he fixed it for a mear $500 loosly rounded off. Also with 98,000 miles on it, it needed a new water pump. But new growing fears of the Tranny are making me nervious ill end up like the other 3 guys i know who had the problem, but the review i read on A4's arent good, nor any other AWD car, so any advice would be useful.

awesome
By zeus149 on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I had to put two rear ends in one year it's fine now when you change gear oil once a year

tom'sjeep
By reba on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I find the Jeep fun to drive even on long trips( we've been coast to coast twice in it).

Elect. Horrors
By rol on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

sun roof drains right unto fuse box of 5.9; causing horrendous electrical problems! dealer will not honor extended zero deductible warranty and I bought there!

tsi jeep cherokee
By paul thompson on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

good reliable vehicle,stops at every gas station.gets around great in snow and ice rear wiper has never worked properly.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
By Railroader on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle off lease. It has most of the available options. I've added a K&N Air Intake and FlowMaster exhaust. These additions, plus shifting the onboard computer into "police mode" probably get you close to 300 horsepower. This is a wonderful machine, capable of rugged off-roading and neck snapping on- road performance. Fit and finish were unsurpassed by any vehicle I've owned to date. Truly fun to drive!

Eric's Review of the 1998 Grand Cherokee
By Erok on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Good overall, nice SUV 4x4, love Jeep!