1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Beast
By JohnHervy on 11/12/04 09:54 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We got our 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee new. It was silver. Hood louvers, fully leather seats, and a chrome exhaust pipe. Unbelievably distinctive. It was our first Jeep, what a powerful, smooth beast. It was the fastest SUV ever made. When the motor starts, it rumbles. You don't just hear it idling, you feel it reverberating in your chest, it moves your soul. It carried us safely, reliably, and luxuriously for 6.5 years on city streets and country trails. We lost it this week, a very sad, bitter- sweet moment, it was our treasured beast. But traded it in for a new hemi- powered Grand Cherokee Limited which should arrive today.

Expensive Junk
By Lemonade on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm one of the few that use this car offroad fairly regularly for surveying. Bought the car with just 11k miles on it, and have only managed to put another 40k on in 4 years. Why? Because I can't keep it running. Various suspension, electrical, and brake problems keep popping up. Got the 5.9 because I needed to pull a trailer, and fuel economy is predictably bad at around 12MPG. There is just no reason why a 6 year old car with just 51k miles should rack up nearly $7,000 in repairs.

Grand Cherokee not for me!
By wildman on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Buyers beware of problems with drivetrain. Transmission hesitates in reverse, and suddenly upshifts/downshifts from 2nd to 3rd (always has since 45000 miles). Also, bearings in differential are prone to go bad - apparently this is a common problem according to local dealer - manufacturing tolerances were too tight. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Chrysler really should do something about their problematic transmissions. I hate to say this, since I enjoyed the Wrangler that I previously owned, but it had a manual tranny, instead of automatic. I'm now lookind at Toyota 4runners, based on their good history.

I LIKE IT
By FRANK63 on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

THE 5.9 IS VERY TORKY IT REVS ONLY 4500RPM. IF IT COULD WIND UP A LITTLE MORE IT WOULD BE A HOT ROD. eVERY THING WORKS GOOD I HAVE AN ACURA LEGEND WITH 52000 MILES AND I WOULD TAKE THE JEEP.

Great SUV...until 70,000 miles
By Iowa Banker on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought mine 2nd owner, low miles. Loved driving it: comfortable, stylish and plenty of power. Maintenance and reliability issues popped up after about 50k miles. Tire/rotor troubles, replaced brakes, etc. then had the front drive shaft go out @ 70k on a roadtrip 500 miles from home. Traded it before I poured any more cash down the hole.

My so-so Jeep Cherokee
By SassyOne on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Jeep for over a year now, bought it with about 46,000 miles on it. I've had to replace my sway bar links, had to have a my exhaust manifold fixed, seal on the sunroof, replaced the drivers seat (heater didn't work) and have had to replace several speakers twice. Poor speakers for the quality of the stereo. Now while driving if I hit a bump the wrong way, my steering wheel goes crazy and I have to hold on for dear life until it decides to stop, haven't figured out what this problem is but I hope soon otherwise I may end up in a ditch because you can't stop the SUV while the steering wheel is shaking uncontrolably.

quality SUV
By gjf on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had great success with this SUV. Limited repair work and very reliable.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rocks!
By malone on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I inherited this loved vehicle, it sat unused over a year. All it's needed is regular oil changes, brake pads, new tires,a battery, except for a inside door handle that broke, 125.00 est.repair.Use Jeep brake pads, others don't s fit right. Runs like a CHARM, very comfortable,fun to drive, great manueverability. Never taken off road. Towed a small uhaul once,great results. Like more rear space, my prefered cars vans,trucks, but sold other car to keep this one liked it so much. Only complaint is in putting the rear seats down you have to move the front seats up, could have been better design. And is this car RELIABLE, you betcha WOW!!!!

JEEP?? or CHEEP??
By AJS2 on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I dont usually buy Domestic, and now I know why... While generally reliable, the gas mileage is poor,I am now inundated with repairs,9 At 105,000..and the fit out and comfort is not nearly as nice as the competitors at Toyota,or Nissan. IF I had to o it over again, the extra 5k for the Import is well worth it.

Not too bad
By Sledsoul on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 96 and thought I would get another.Replaced waterpump, sway barlinks replaced 3 times and front end still clunks. It has great power 5.2 litre. I am thinking of getting rid of it with 74000 miles. I had electrical go out a few times also. An thinking of an expedition or tahoe. Need something larger.