Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

I love my 5.9
By ptowntsi

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This has to be one of the best SUV's available used. I would take it over any mid-size SUV or wimpy crossover. Yes it is true many of these need to have their front and rear axles rebuilt around 100k miles, but that is not so bad. For the price of the vehicle it is easy to spend that money to have them done. When they are rebuilt they will last an easy 100k+ or more. It is completely justifiable. These Jeeps have awesome power, and very luxurious interiors. The 5.9 limited has better leather seats than any Jeep, heated seats, heated mirrors, a great AWD system, and timeless classic styling. I recommend this Jeep for anyone looking for a reliable vehicle.

AWD, heated seats, heated mirrors, memory seats, lots and lots of power, a great factory stereo, solid off road performance, excellent on road manners. Good grip on turns, easy to drive, solid steering, feels very safe.

Well gas mileage on any v8 4x4 is not going to be the greatest, but I love the Jeep and would rather drive this with bad mileage than some wimpy Subaru with good gas mileage. The front and rear axles often need rebuilds, (cheap and easy).

Been a great car
By grap112ler

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 99k miles, and it currently has 125k miles. So far, I have had to do no repair work (besides changing a turn signal light bulb, which was a pain). The car handles admirably in all conditions - rain, snow, mud, off- road. However, I think that I will soon have to replace the CV axles, which will cost me about $400. My only gripes about the car are 1) the factory stereo system is kind of shot, but I can deal with that, and 2) the spare tire takes up a lot of room in the trunk space. I've found that if I drive the car about 70 mph, I can get 19 mpg, which is pretty good for a car this size. I would definitely purchase this vehicle again.

Move spare tire (they have done this in newer Jeeps), better speakers.

My Jeep
By slhbanks

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought my Jeep at the beginning of 2006 and what can I say about it besides it is unstoppable! Theres nothing this Jeep hasn't seen and been through that I'm sure that other SUV's couldn't have gone through. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I would buy another if I see another in the near future that I want.

I love the steering wheel cruise control features and the rear window wiper that is a must have on any SUV. The 4WD is pretty good, I've only been stuck once and the Jeep has seen some pretty nasty places before and has never failed me yet!

Jeep could make a better transmission. Don't really have that bad of a problem with it except that at 135,000 miles it is just starting to slip a little bit. Thats the only problem so far.

Wonderful Jeep
By E. Woody

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have enjoyed ownership of my 1998 Grand Cherokee. It has a wonderful ride. The seats are as comfortable as a recliner. It has been almost problem- free. The cost of ownership has been approximately $250 above the purchase price and maintenance. Fuel economy has been 15/24 mpg with an average highway mileage of 22.5 mpg. This is my second Cherokee. I plan to purchase another soon.

Ride and seat comfort.

Fuel economy in town.

Reliable once bugs are fixed
By J

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Spent money on fixing brake system ($1000), cooling system ($500) and electric wiring system ($300) first 4 years, but it was due to poor maintenance. I have everything fixed and it's been driving well.

Space to move furniture. Good mpg compared to other SUVs. If maintained, it will last for long time. I heard engine will go strong until 300,000 miles (20 years).

Power window and power door lock freezes sometimes. Reliability needs to improve for people who doesn't have time to check small details such as cleaning acid from the battery, looking for leaks on wheel bearing, cooling system leaks, etc.