1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
GREAT 5.9
By FRANK on 07/24/05 16:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have an Acura and a 5.9 Jeep and the Jeep is much plusher and less troublesome than the Acura. Both have the same miles 50-60k. The rpm on the Jeep could be higher to get a little more power it shifts at 4450rpm. ItÂ’s a fun car to drive and the only serious drawback is mileage -- 12.5 to 20.

ok for in city
By Sarah on 07/09/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Grand Cherokee when I was in college and thought the world of it. It has gotten me through some big snow storms -- I live in Minnesota, land of the cold and snow. One good thing so far is that I have not had to replace the battery and the Jeep is 7 years old, but I also have a block heater in it. I have been in 2 accidents with the Jeep, one I just nipped a car trying to do a tight parking, good thing -- not a scratch on the jeep; bad thing -- it did a lot of damage to the other car. The second accident was on the highway; busy one at that. The whole front of the Jeep had to be replaced. It was hit from the side too but the side didn't have a scratch on it.

Everything you need
By jerryo12 on 05/24/05 11:21 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep with 41,000 miles and now have 90,000. I have have done no major repairs; only brakes and tires - water pump is getting a slow leak though. Very powerful and fun to drive. I used to update vehicles every 2 years but this one has everything I need so I don't need to upgrade. Luxuries match those in expensive luxury cars! Performs great in snow in mud as well as on road. Very comfortable vehicle as long as only 2 people or 4 short ones.

Departed Friend
By Kyle on 05/04/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently totaled my Jeep Grabd Cherokee. I had 165,465 miles on it. It was absolutely reliable until 150,000 miles when the power steering, starter, and catalytic converter went out. I bought it with 7k miles on it and it was the best vehicle I ever owned. Wife is now driving the 2005 Grand Cherokee. I also had the problem with the differentials. Don't let the dealer scare you! They pressured me at 90,000 miles to replace them. Well at 165,000 miles they were still holding up. I also did not let them mess with the transmission.

Worst car I ever Owned
By Chris on 03/27/05 20:05 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought the car with 25,000 miles. I have 92,000.00. Between 55,000 and 92,000 I have replaced rear end, two power steering units, 2 water pumps, and transmission. I have a 96 Honda Accord with 190,000 I gave to my daughter I've replaced tires and a battery.

Great SUV
By Brian on 02/17/05 09:30 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned this vehicle for 5 years, 80K miles. Great on gas (compared to other mid-size SUVs). Very reliable. Great in the snow, much better than my 2000 Mountaineer. Only problem - had to have power lock motors replaced on 2 doors.

Guess I got lucky
By David on 02/11/05 23:12 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has over 162K on it and still runs great. I have to replace the brake rotors too often but other than that it's been very reliable. It failed to get me to my destination only twice. Once, with about 20K miles, the float in the gas tank failed, resulting in an inaccurate gas tank reading. Consequently I ran out of gas. Then at about 155K the ignition switch failed so it wouldn't start. I'm going to keep it until it dies! I do some minor off roading, nothing too tough - more ruts and rocks than anything else. I have the V6, and it gets 17-19 MPG.

Fun to Drive!
By jcooperdj on 01/20/05 00:14 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this off a good friend who drove it on the highway alot with 112,00 now 18 months later it has 122,000. Really no repairs have been done and it just started on its 3rd set of tires. Seal between transfer case and tranny replaced. Door speakers are junk I have replaced all 4 but the rest rocks! NOISY on the highway from either tires or differential.

1998 Laredo 4WD Just Right!
By brianpsu on 12/06/04 11:45 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been driving my Jeep for over 5 years with no major problems at 78,000 miles. As some other reviewers mentioned, my main problem has been that the sway bar needing relaced twice. Definitely a weak spot, but at $100 replacement, not worth a slam. Living in Pennsylvania, I love the go anywhere capability of the Jeep. Put it in Full Time 4WD and I don't have to worry about hitting some dry pavement either. If the going gets really tough, there is always the Part Time 4WD. The best part is that Jeep has not sold-out to the button, I know that my 4WD is locked in.

Brakes etc.
By Robert 2 on 11/26/04 16:45 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Rotors and brakes were changed 3 times in the first 20K and thereafter every 30K. Extremely rough ride. Instrument cluster and bezel poorly designed and poor fit. Cat/convertor rattle at idle common to this model at 100K milage. Poorly designed door; weatherstripping results in severe wind noise. Sharp low speed turn results in extremely loud "thunk" from wheels. All the above defects found to be common with several other owners