1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Jeep
By Nick

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jjeep - as a college student I need a reliable car with lots of space to move my stuff up and back. This gives me all of that with a nice interior and all the features I could want.

Favorite Features

I love the way it handles, and the cd player is nice to have.

Suggested Improvements

On occasion it feels and rides a bit like a truck, much better than the Jeep Cherokee - but could still use some tuning.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 5.9L
By NORMA

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used, have done only standard maintenance. Get 21 mpg on freeway, have hauled passengers, 5 large dogs (over 85#), and furniture. Gone 4 wheeling on purpose and not, without problems.

Favorite Features

Look, comfort (for a 4-wheel drive), versatility.

Great SUV - (In it's time)
By Kirk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I have to admit I love this truck. It's very, very quick (especially with a few cheap bolt-ons), rides decent, and has more off-road ability than 99% of the drivers would ever need. My main complaint: build quality and reliability. My poor Jeep has spent more time in the shop than I care to add up. I would have gladly paid a couple more thousand for it if Jeep had put a little more effort into quality control.

Favorite Features

Torque monster, off-road ability, exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality needs to improve drastically.

I like Jeeps
By laustin

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd jeep. I bought is used with 30k miles. I have had to replace the water pump, power steering pump, brakes, radiator. I love my car but the repairs bother me. I have 100,500K now and have to consider the next car I will buy. I feel very safe in this Jeep on the highway. I feel if I was hit I would stand a chance of living and this is what separates the Jeep from the Jeep wannabes.

Favorite Features

Key fob lock/alarm. folding back seats. a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter ride.

Like a member of the family
By Burger

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this Jeep for the wife and kid, used it for a year and then #2 showed up, so we went to a minivan. That's when I took over. This truck has been used for beach driving, mountain 4-wheeling, daily commuter and at one point I used it for carpentry work and it was loaded down with a compressor, saws, nail guns, etc. I've carried 6x6s from Home Depot in it, 10 sheets of plywood on the roof; this truck just won't stop. Gas mileage is now getting to me, but I just can't let go of it, it's like family. Change the oil, keep it clean and it will run forever.

Favorite Features

VERSATILITY... nice enough to take the wife out for a night on the town, yet tough enough for a fishing trip on the beach or a load of wood.

Suggested Improvements

As we all know, spare tire should be hidden but they fixed this. Better gas mileage would be nice; who am I kidding, the truck is incredible.

168K -One owner
By jmac

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the 4WD, 4.0L straight six. Performed well and reliably since I bought new, and I have taken it off-road a few times. I believe in preventive maintenance. It has served me well with this truck. The only premature failure was the power steering pump at 86K ($500). Other issues - rear output speed sensor @103K, harmonic balance wheel @ 116K, steering damper & cat converter @121K. Exhaust manifold leak at 140K. Transmission was rebuilt at 152K and transfer case rebuilt at 168K, but these repairs are to be expected. I may keep this to 250K miles or more.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for family of four with two little ones; good size, construction and weight for safety. Engine very reliable, Selectrac works well. Finish and seals have held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Poor spare location. If you're shopping for this or any car, look for one owner who maintains it. The anecdotal problems posted here experienced by second and third owners shouldn't color your opinion of the truck.

Best Car Ever
By Jeep Fan For Life!

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep. This is my 1st car that my parents had gotten me and it was a very good pick. The gas mileage is OK if you hold up on your right foot. Right now I have 120,500 miles on the car and it sounds and drives like new. I have had it for almost a year and it has never gave me any problems. It rides just as good as my dad's Lincoln at less than half of the price. I have 10-way power seats and a top of the line radio system. When I first got the car, I had a big tune up and then the only big thing that I had to do with the car was replace a bad output speed sensor. If you treat your car good, your car will treat you good. Just make sure you change all of your oil and it will go on forever. I love my Jeep.

Favorite Features

The powerful 180W sound system. The 10-way power seats. The look of a $45,000 truck. The piece of mind that my car can good anywere at any given time. The nice comfy seats that I can drive for miles and miles. Not everyone has one, so it stands out. The new car look every time I wash it

Suggested Improvements

The inline 6 engine can have a more power under the hood and better gas mileage. The spare tire can be moved to a better place on the outside of the car. A better place for the cabin fuse box. Jeep should do the same thing that GM did with the Malibu and bring back the 98 Grand Cherokee for one year.

A Comfortable SUV
By Nathan B.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I have greatly enjoyed my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There are a few annoyances, but it has been fairly reliable and it is extremely comfortable.

Favorite Features

Comfort, size, exterior design, 4X4 driving in winter.

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire needs to be stored somewhere else, annoying groaning sound when turning, a few more miles per gallon of gas would be good.

5.9 Jeep Rocks
By Coop

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this off a friend who got it new. It has 123,000 miles with no problems. It has a K&N Filter and gets approimately 17-18 on the highway and passing is NO problem as this SUV will fly. Had to put seals in transfer case where drive shaft goes in; dried up. It's only on its 3rd set of tires and they are new. Goes great in any condition. IF only it did not have the road noise/whine on the highway it would be perfect. Do have a strange electrical problem, may be ignition switch but still very reliable.

Favorite Features

5.9, Hood louvers. Sunroof. Stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Highway noise from tires or differential.

Love this car!
By rebecca

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new and used to drive it 2 hours back and forth to work. It made the wretched commute tolerable. Now, I use it for my dog car. With 103K miles on it, the extended warranty has expired and that makes me nervous. So I'm thinking about selling it. It has been very reliable, and the repairs that were necessary were covered under the warranty. I highly recommend Grand Cherokees - this is my second one.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the remote audio controls, the compass and outside thermometer and the fact that you can lock the doors with the engine running. This keeps my doggies safe and comfy on hot days when I take them on errands.