1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 168K -One owner

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Review

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

168K -One owner
By jmac on

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the 4WD, 4.0L straight six. Performed well and reliably since I bought new, and I have taken it off-road a few times. I believe in preventive maintenance. It has served me well with this truck. The only premature failure was the power steering pump at 86K ($500). Other issues - rear output speed sensor @103K, harmonic balance wheel @ 116K, steering damper & cat converter @121K. Exhaust manifold leak at 140K. Transmission was rebuilt at 152K and transfer case rebuilt at 168K, but these repairs are to be expected. I may keep this to 250K miles or more.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for family of four with two little ones; good size, construction and weight for safety. Engine very reliable, Selectrac works well. Finish and seals have held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Poor spare location. If you're shopping for this or any car, look for one owner who maintains it. The anecdotal problems posted here experienced by second and third owners shouldn't color your opinion of the truck.