1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews 12

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
never again
By going broke on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Until the past year I was very pleased with the 5.9. However, in the past year (since about 55,000 miles) I have changed the front rotors twice due to warping, (once was covered by a Jeep recall)and replaced both the front and rear differentials. In addition, I have a transmission leak which hopefully is only the pan gasket. All this despite the fact that I have followed schedule A maintenance recommendations. I will never buy another Chrysler product again

Comfortable P.O.S.
By Jon Levy on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Good looking car, very comfortable, wouldn't bet my holey shirt on its reliability. I'm now riding on a back of a motorcyle, waiting for a new transmission to be put in, ouch. I've paid more in problems associated with everyday driving than I will for the downpayment of the Audi Allroad I'm about to pick up. I want to like the jeep, but it keeps breaking down and falling apart! AHHHHHHH!!!!

Good Car!
By Laura Nobles on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had minimal problems with my Grand. I have had to replace the water pump which cost me $42. I've had a few other MINOR repairs. That is excellent considering the car has 98K miles on it! I've owned is for just under 3 years. This car is very fun to drive, especially in the hills. I live outside of Austin, TX; and it handles great in the hills. I highly recommend this car.

Overall Good Car
By GDenton on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car for my son and I have had almost no problems with it. We bought the car when it had 87K miles on it and have only had minor wheel alignment problems. It gets great gas mileage for its size; 34 mi/ gal. I think this car is worth looking into.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 98
By nightrider on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

very disappointed in the repair I had to do to the Jeep. Front differencial, rear differencial, hard gear shifting especially going into reverse. Idles rough

Be aware of your gas tank
By tetrafri on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My husband and I were rear ended and our 1998 Grand Cherokee exploded on impact. The gas tank ruptured and the car was engulfed in flames within seconds. We both jumped out and were lucky enough not to have our children with us. The damage to the back of the vehicle was minimal. Please be careful if you drive this vehicle. The gas tank is right under the rear fender. We were lucky to escape and have the most frightening pictures to prove this. Daimler Chrysler "respectfully declined" to participate in the costs we incurred and claimed no product liability.If you get hit from behind, get out of the car till you know it's safe. Lynn Friedman

By Moss Kincaid on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep is great to drive. Awesome power is what its all about. Other than that is is not roomy enough, rather cheap looking interior, dash, etc. Good sound system. I can live with all of that however, it is a repair nightmare on the drivetrain. The drivetrain has been replaced twice and repaired in between several times! Have had two different dealers do the exact same thing. Outside of that I love it.

Dan's view of the Jeep GC
By Dan Constantinide on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Generally, this is a good, reliable automobile. Over 96000 miles with no reliability problems. The transmission shift points are questionable. One odd experience that cost me 800 dollars involved a front drive shaft that all of a sudden developed a leaky joint because it was too short. This happened after replacing the front diff yoke and the corresponding seal (the latter several times). Of course, nobody owned up to any wrong doing or design issues.

Great Jeep
By B1Mario on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Great SUV, no trail unaccessable, hauls and drives great. Never had a problem mechanically or comfort wise. Great car overall.

5.9 LTD...Rare for a good reason!
By Cowbell on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My relationship with my 5.9 LTD is Love and Hate. Within 5 hours of purchasing it I was stranded on the side of the freeway with a blown radiator and fan switch! I probably should have returned it, but unfortunatly I loved the plush black leather, chrome exhasut and roaring speed! A year later I am $4000 deep in repairs, and my sunroof is unrepariable unless I want to by a new one for $1600... ouch! I shouldn't have cancelled the extended warranty..