Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Beast
By JohnHervy

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We got our 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee new. It was silver. Hood louvers, fully leather seats, and a chrome exhaust pipe. Unbelievably distinctive. It was our first Jeep, what a powerful, smooth beast. It was the fastest SUV ever made. When the motor starts, it rumbles. You don't just hear it idling, you feel it reverberating in your chest, it moves your soul. It carried us safely, reliably, and luxuriously for 6.5 years on city streets and country trails. We lost it this week, a very sad, bitter- sweet moment, it was our treasured beast. But traded it in for a new hemi- powered Grand Cherokee Limited which should arrive today.

Favorite Features

It was so distictive, reliable, and powerful. The hood louvers, full leather interior, the beautiful music from the CD player, and the rumble of the 5.9 engine made this beast a pleasure to own.

Suggested Improvements

Make the hood louvers an option for the new Grand Cherokee Limited beasts in the future.

Expensive Junk
By Lemonade

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm one of the few that use this car offroad fairly regularly for surveying. Bought the car with just 11k miles on it, and have only managed to put another 40k on in 4 years. Why? Because I can't keep it running. Various suspension, electrical, and brake problems keep popping up. Got the 5.9 because I needed to pull a trailer, and fuel economy is predictably bad at around 12MPG. There is just no reason why a 6 year old car with just 51k miles should rack up nearly $7,000 in repairs.

Favorite Features

Comfortable car, with a good stereo (which no longer works) Towing ability

Suggested Improvements

This is far and away the least reliable car I've ever owned, and I've owned a Fiat. Based on my son's experiences with his 2001 Grand Cher. it doesn't look like much has changed.

Grand Cherokee not for me!
By wildman

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Buyers beware of problems with drivetrain. Transmission hesitates in reverse, and suddenly upshifts/downshifts from 2nd to 3rd (always has since 45000 miles). Also, bearings in differential are prone to go bad - apparently this is a common problem according to local dealer - manufacturing tolerances were too tight. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Chrysler really should do something about their problematic transmissions. I hate to say this, since I enjoyed the Wrangler that I previously owned, but it had a manual tranny, instead of automatic. I'm now lookind at Toyota 4runners, based on their good history.

Favorite Features

Good inline 6cyl engine

Suggested Improvements

Needs more dependable transmission and drivetrain design.

I LIKE IT
By FRANK63

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

THE 5.9 IS VERY TORKY IT REVS ONLY 4500RPM. IF IT COULD WIND UP A LITTLE MORE IT WOULD BE A HOT ROD. eVERY THING WORKS GOOD I HAVE AN ACURA LEGEND WITH 52000 MILES AND I WOULD TAKE THE JEEP.

Favorite Features

HOOD SCOOP RIMS QUALITY OF LEATHER SEATS OFF LINE POWER VERY STRONG.

Suggested Improvements

COULD BE QUIETER. NO SPACE IN THE REAR FOR CARGO. BACK SEAT HAS LIMITED LEG ROOM

Great SUV...until 70,000 miles
By Iowa Banker

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought mine 2nd owner, low miles. Loved driving it: comfortable, stylish and plenty of power. Maintenance and reliability issues popped up after about 50k miles. Tire/rotor troubles, replaced brakes, etc. then had the front drive shaft go out @ 70k on a roadtrip 500 miles from home. Traded it before I poured any more cash down the hole.

Favorite Features

Power, plush interior, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy (shouldn't have bought the 5.9L) and RELIABILITY.