1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
So Far, Pretty Good!
By vampyre40 on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

When I first bought this the dealer gave me a 30 day warranty. Good thing. In the first week, the front brakes needed new rotors, and the a/c ran hot and needed a new evap. cylinder. The dealer fixed everything. 2 months later, The check engine light came on and I replaced the speed sensor. A week after that, the drivers side electric window motor burned out. I replaced that and it wasnt easy! I have now had the car for a little over a year and have had no further problems. Hopefully it stays that way. Although I have grown attached to my JEEP, I wouldn't buy another.

stay away from jeeps
By kekai on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

stay away from grand cherokee's. They are unreliable and porly built

Best car ever
By DanP on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 3rd Grand Cherokee since 1993. I like this style much better than the new one and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. The 5.9 engine and all-wheel drive make this a true performance vehicle, but the mileage is not good. But, in terms of looks, performance, practicality, and features, this is the best car I've ever had.

My best buy ever!
By Carlosky on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought my car on July 1998, brand new. It is now almost 5 years since I bought it and it has 130,000 miles and counting. No problems what so ever, no repairs, no nothing! Comfort, reliability, everything still works as on the first day! If I change it, it will be for another brand new Grand Cherokee Laredo.

5.9 a keeper!!
By acarson on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 5.9 a year and a half ago and have been living high ever since. It has been pure bliss. Just hearing it roar to life still sends chills up my spine. The power is always there, the comfort is unsurpassed and I love the looks that I still get in a 5 year old vehicle. I have had no problems whatsoever. I realize that before it's all said and done I will probably have to replace something, but the enjoyment I have had up till now will make it all worth while! Did I mention the way it sounds...?

What Problems?
By Master Ho on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 6cyl/auto. with 41k miles and have put on 18k more, so far. Most of my driving is in town, with a few road trips. Aside from the right door lock sticking(when using the remote), the noisy front swaybar bushings, and front alignment, I haven't experienced any major problems. Maint. is fairly straightforward and parts prices are average. Front brake pads were replaced at 41k, but the rotors were fine.

JEEP
By JoshUSMC on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

LOVE MY SUV!!! THE BEST I HAVE EVER OWNED!!! JUST LOVE IT.

Good performer for a price
By iameziv on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle with about 26K miles it served us well until 6 months ago. After hitting 34k miles there are many electrical hickups (Lights, Info center, Alarm, The horn botton collapse) Then the water pump started leaking (replaced that one too) now the rear differential is making whiny noise and who knows how much that going to cost.

Please stay away!
By Islander on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Stay away from this vehicle. Wonderful lemon.

Title
By CarEnth on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this car it had about 50,000 miles on it. I have driven it for close to 2 and a half years and did not have any major problems as of yet. I had to change the front stablizer and brakes. Overall those cars go up to around 100,000 miles and then the problems start to happen. My opinion is do not buy this car with more than 70,000 or you will be sorry for it.